LSP Medieval 2D Art The Historic Lords Project (Volume 2 Released)

Users who are viewing this thread

thick1988

Master Knight
484748_10100711897638475_2036281060_n.jpg

What's this?
Historic Lords Project is the realization of a side project of mine lately in which I find images (contemporary of modern) of real lords from the medieval period and recreate their armor, weapons, etc. This is an ongoing project and I plan on releasing it as an OSP pack for users to put into their own mods, edit, etc.

Have a favorite medieval lord? Let me know and give me a reference image or two and I will see what can be done  :grin:

So, as an example here is the first preview.

williamdouglas.gif

Sir Archibald Douglas (1333)

The younger son of Sir William "le Hardi" Douglas, the Governor of the castle at Berwick-upon-Tweed, and his wife, Eleanor de Lovaine. Douglas was also half-brother of "the Good" Sir James Douglas, King Robert the Bruce's deputy.

Douglas is first heard of in 1320 when he received a charter of land at Morebattle in Roxburghshire and Kirkandrews in Dumfriesshire from King Robert. In 1324, he was recorded as being granted the lands of Rattray and Crimond in Buchan and the lands of Conveth, Kincardineshire, already being possession of Cavers in Roxburghshire, Drumlanrig and Terregles in Dumfriesshire, and the lands of West Calder in Midlothian. By the time of his death, he was also in possession of Liddesdale.

History then keeps quiet about Douglas except whilst serving under his older brother, James, in the 1327 campaign in Weardale, where his foragers "auoint curry apoi tot levesche de Doresme"- overran nearly all the Bishopric of Durham.

Following the death of King Robert I and his brother's crusade with the dead king's heart, Douglas once again becomes of note. He was made guardian of the kingdom since he was "the principal adviser in...the confounding of the king" as much as he was heir to his brothers influence after Murray's capture. Archibald's success in local raids though, did not prepare him for full scale conflict.

During the Second War of Scottish Independence, Edward Baliol, son of King John of Scotland, had invaded Scotland with the backing of Edward III of England, inflicting a defeat on the Scots at the Battle of Dupplin Moor. Douglas served under the dubious leadership of Patrick V, Earl of Dunbar leader of the second army that aimed to crush the smaller Balliol force. Following the rout of the Earl of Mar's force Dunbar did not engage the disinherited but retreated allowing Edward Balliol to be crowned at Scone. Following this battle, and as a sweetener to the English, Edward Baliol agreed to cede the county, town and castle of Berwick to England in perpetuity. However Douglas led a Bruce loyalist defeat on Balliol at the Battle of Annan, forcing him to flee back to England.

Edward III himself came north to command his army, and laid siege to Berwick. However, a temporary truce was declared with the stipulation that if not relieved within a set time, Sir Alexander Seton, the governor, would deliver the castle to the English. Douglas raised an army to relieve the beleaguered defenders of Berwick. As a feint to draw the English away he invaded Northumberland, but was forced to return to Berwick when the English refused to be lured. On 19 July, Edward's army took positions at the summit of Halidon Hill, a summit some mile and a half north of the town with commanding views of the surrounding country. Douglas' numerically superior force was compelled to attack up the slope and were slaughtered by the English archers, a prelude, perhaps, to the battles of Crécy and Agincourt. The English won the field with little loss of life, however by the close of the fight, countless Scots common soldiery, five Scots Earls and the Guardian Douglas lay dead. The following day Berwick capitulated.

Archibald was succeeded by his son, William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas.
Inspiration:
Douglas-Knight.gif

DOWNLOADS
DOWNLOAD VOLUME 1
DOWNLOAD VOLUME 2

IMPORTANT:

I found what's causing the error

"get_failed for shader, specular_shader_noskin_bump_high_Inst"

It's a very simple fix and a mistake made by me.

How to:
1) Open the brf file that came with the download
2) Switch to the tab called "Mat76"
3) Click first item in the list, "1257helmets_3"
4) to the right where it says "Shader" there is some text in the adjacent box
5) The text says this: specular_shader_noskin_bump_high_Inst
6) Highlight it all and change it to: specular_shader_noskin_bump_high_Instanced (or just add the "anced" to the end of the existing text.
7) File > Save
:cool: Good to go!

Volume 1:

Volume 2:

Volume 3:

El Cid
Alfonso VIII
Jan Zizka
Count Floris V
Don Álvaro de Luna
Pelagio Galvani
Alfonso X "The Wise"
Zawisza the Black
William Longespee
Robert Fitzwalter
Hartmann von Aue
Almaric de St. Amand
Władysław III of Poland
Owen Glendower
Guillem II de Montcada y Bearn

Volume 4:

Vlad III Țepeș "Dracula", Prince of Wallachia
Richard III, King of England
Macbeth, King of Scotland
Ambrosius Aurelianus "King Arthur"
Matthias Corvinus, King of Hungary and Croati
Roland, Frankish knight
Casimir III The Great, King of Poland
Joanna de Montfort of Flanders, Duchess consort of Brittany
Harold Sigurdsson (Hardrada)
Sir John Bacon
Pedro II, King of Aragon
Stephan Báthory, Prince of Transylvania and King of Poland
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Jean le Maingre II, Marshal of France
Sir Robert de Bures

Lord's in Queue
Andrew de Chauvigny
Captal de Buch
Guidoriccio da Fogliano
Castruccio Castracani
John of Werenne
Istvan Varallyay
Robert de Setvans
Robert de Lisle
Robert de Vere
John of Eltham
Aymer de Valence
William Fitzralph
John de Abernoun
Alonso de Guzmán
Pierre Tirrail de Bayard
Edmund Crouchback
Richard de Vere
Charles Thopia
Janos Hunyadi
Pere el Catolic Rey de Aragó
Baron Walther III von Klingen
King Roderic of Visigoth Spain
Niccolo da Tolentino
Paul I Šubić of Bribir
Charles I of Hungary
Vytautas the Great, Grand Duke of Lithuania
Maarten van Rossum
Almanzor
Gilles De Rais
John III of Sweden
Baldwin VI of Jerusalem
Ivan IV the Terrible
Torsten Stålhandske
Skanderbeg
Jean De Valetta
Krum the Horrible
Tamerlane
Salah al-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub
Saint Vartas (Vardan Mamikonian)
Clovis the Great
John Comnenus II
John Vatazes
Basil II
Harald Sigurdsson (Harald Hardrada)
Saint Louis (Louis IX)
Emperor Charles V
Emperor Maximilian I
Tommaso Morosini
Sultan Murad IV
Sultan Mustafa II
Wolfram von Eschenbach
Walther von Metze
Walter von Geroldseck "Bishop of Straßburg"
Ulrich von Lichtenstein
Schenk Konrad von Limpurg
Robert de Mamines
Edmund de Thorpe
Jacopo Cavalli
Götz von Berlichingen
Jean Parisot de La Valette
Bogdan Khmelnitsky
Gotz Von Berlichingen
Bogdan Khmelnitsky
Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa of Hohenstaufen
Saint Vartan
Anemas Kouroupas
Stephen the Great
Babonic Blagajski
Stephen the Great

Special Thanks to these generous folks for allowing me to use some of their resources:
Narf of Picklestink
Dejawolf
mr.master
Full Invasion 2 Dev Team
Al_mansur

Moderation: You will have to get in touch with the people above and gain their permission for commercial use of their resources. Everything else can be consider OSP.

For Support:

Signatures:

hlpb.jpg

Code:
[URL=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,261656.0.html][IMG]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5983/hlpb.jpg[/IMG][/url]

walterbrienne.gif
Gautier or Walter V of Brienne (c. 1275 – 15 March 1311)
Inspired by:
battle_of_halmyros_by_wraithdt-d4lzxng.jpg

Walter V of Brienne was born in Brienne-le-Château, Aube, Champagne, France. He was the son of Hugh of Brienne, Count of Brienne and Lecce, and Isabella de la Roche, daughter of Guy I of la Roche, Duke of Athens. He was the heir of the Brienne claim to the Kingdom of Jerusalem and of Cyprus, as well as to Taranto and Sicily.

Walter spent his youth as a hostage in Sicily, in the castle of Agosta. On the death of his father Hugh in 1296, Walter inherited the titles of Count of Brienne, Conversano and Lecce.

Like his father, he took up arms in the service of Naples, but was captured in an ambush at Gagliano in 1300. He was freed in 1302 with the signing of the Treaty of Caltabellotta.

The death of his mother's first cousin, Guy II of la Roche, in 1308 brought him the Duchy of Athens. There he found himself hard pressed by the Despot of Epirus, the Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos and the Lord of Vlachia (Thessaly), John II Doukas. In 1310, he hired the Catalan Company, then ravaging the Byzantine Empire, to fight the Byzantine Greeks encroaching on his territory.

After the Company had successfully reduced his enemies, he attempted to expel the Company from Athens with their pay in arrears. The Company refusing this, Walter marched out with a strong force of French knights from Athens, the Morea and Naples and Greek foot from Athens. Walter's army met the Catalans at the Battle of Halmyros on the river Cephissus in Boeotia on 15 March 1311. The Catalans won a devastating victory, killing Walter and almost all of his cavalry, and seizing his Duchy of Athens, excepting only the Lordship of Argos and Nauplia.

Captured Joe said:
Interesting. Will they have historical face codes too?

Yes, what I'll probably do is have a separate file within the mod which includes a face code to match with the lord as best as possible.

If anyone has any other suggestions for lords from 1000-1500ad send me a suggestion in PM and I'll see if I could do it. (preferably 1000-1400 as later than that the armor can be a little difficult for my level of skill)

Interesting idea, great job thus far :smile:

First off, I want to say that I'm supportive of this idea, looks like a fun project.  Bear in mind that if we're merely talking replacing all of the Swadian Lords, you're going to be pretty busy for a while.

1.  The models' normalmaps look a bit funky.  Have you used "recompute tangent normals" and saved the BRF in Warband format?  If yes, you're going to need to spend further time on the normalmaps, adding more depth and detail.

2.  Contrary to the way it's depicted in most games, most historical shields of this type were thinner than your example and did not have any large metal components.  No metal rim, in most cases- these were quarter-inch thick handmade plywood with multiple layers of linen glued to them (sort of a low-tech fiberglass; quite strong).

3.  The cloth parts could use stitching and sharper lines and colors in general; the hand-painted shields are fine, although they could probably use a faint specular and some work on the normalmap to make them feel more like linen.

xenoargh said:
Interesting idea, great job thus far :smile:

First off, I want to say that I'm supportive of this idea, looks like a fun project.  Bear in mind that if we're merely talking replacing all of the Swadian Lords, you're going to be pretty busy for a while.

1.  The models' normalmaps look a bit funky.  Have you used "recompute tangent normals" and saved the BRF in Warband format?  If yes, you're going to need to spend further time on the normalmaps, adding more depth and detail.

2.  Contrary to the way it's depicted in most games, most historical shields of this type were thinner than your example and did not have any large metal components.  No metal rim, in most cases- these were quarter-inch thick handmade plywood with multiple layers of linen glued to them (sort of a low-tech fiberglass; quite strong).

3.  The cloth parts could use stitching and sharper lines and colors in general; the hand-painted shields are fine, although they could probably use a faint specular and some work on the normalmap to make them feel more like linen.

FYI, I can't get my OpenBRF to use NormalMaps. It just makes the whole mesh pure black. So all these images are with specular only.

The shields don't have an actual metal rim around the edge of the face of the shield. That's just the side you're seeing of the old CommonRes heater shield_d. I'll probably end up making that look like leather instead.

Im not really aiming to replace all the Swadian Lords, I'm just making them for the fun of it. No intention of putting these into a mod myself.

I do agree that I need to add some sort of divider between the colors on the surcoats. Although I cannot find an example of how it was really done during the period. If anyone has an example that'd be great.

thick1988 said:
FYI, I can't get my OpenBRF to use NormalMaps. It just makes the whole mesh pure black. So all these images are with specular only.

It's because you're saving your normalmaps as DXT3.

If you save it as DXT1 instead, they'll show up in openBRF, there will be no difference in-game and they'll be like 1/3 the size in the storage department.

Cozur said:
thick1988 said:

It's because you're saving your normalmaps as DXT3.

If you save it as DXT1 instead, they'll show up in openBRF, there will be no difference in-game and they'll be like 1/3 the size in the storage department.

:shock: I will do this from here on out.

bohun.gif

Sir Henry de Bohun (died 23 June 1314) was an English knight, the nephew of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford. He was killed on the first day of the Battle of Bannockburn by Robert the Bruce. Riding in the vanguard of heavy cavalry, de Bohun caught sight of the Scottish king who was mounted on a small palfrey armed only with a battle-axe. De Bohun lowered his lance and charged, but Bruce stood his ground. At the last moment Bruce manoeuvred his mount nimbly to one side, stood up in his stirrups and hit de Bohun so hard with his axe that he split his helmet and head in two. Despite the great risk the King had taken, he merely expressed regret that he had broken the shaft of his favourite axe.

schwarzburg.gif

(helm crest needs work  :oops:)

Günther XXI von Schwarzburg (1304–1349), German king, was a descendant of the counts of Schwarzburg and the younger son of Henry VII, Count of Schwarzburg-Blankenburg.

He distinguished himself as a soldier, and rendered good service to the Emperor Louis IV on whose death in 1347 he was offered the German throne, after it had been refused by Edward III of England. He was elected German king at Frankfurt on January 30, 1349 by four of the electors, who were partisans of the house of Wittelsbach and opponents of Charles of Luxemburg, afterwards the Emperor Charles IV.

Charles, however, won over many of Gunther's adherents and defeated him at Eltville, and Günther, who was now seriously ill, renounced his claims for the sum of 20,001 marks of silver. He died three weeks afterwards at Frankfurt and was buried in the cathedral of that city, where the headstone (a masterpiece of gothic art) was erected to his memory in 1352.

Back
Top Bottom