Status
Not open for further replies.
Vote-ometer:
1. 14 - Passed!
2. 0 - Rejected!
3. 16 - Passed! Implemented!
4. 15 - Passed!

Votes Cast: 16

Hello fellow Warbanders! So I know there's some confusion about how the league works, some vagueness in the rules about the league splitting into parts in the future and general queries about how the league is run. As such myself and other admins propose  the following changes, listed below. We will allow each clan to nominate one member to vote on each of the three subjects. They will be able to vote "yes", "no" or "don't mind" to the changes proposed below.

1. League sorting changes to head-to-head as mentioned above with playoffs used when needed, as stated above.
2. League sorting is still based on R/D but playoffs are used to decide important league placements (those relating to qualification to the knockout stage)
3. Maps and Factions are released in advance.
4. The 2nd stage of the tournament is changed to a single elimination bracket with the top 8 participating.

Any kinda of majority, be it by 1 vote, will be enough to both change the rule-set and keep it the same. So go discuss it with your clan and in this thread.  Anyone clan that fails to vote will be simple have no say in the matter. We will give some time for discussion and amendment of the proposals. Hopefully soon you will either send me a PM or simply post in this thread something that looks like this:

1. League sorting changes to head-to-head as mentioned above with playoffs used when needed, as stated above. Yes
2. League sorting is still based on R/D but playoffs are used to decide important league placements (those relating to qualification to the knockout stage) No
3. Maps and Factions are released in advance. Don't Mind
4. The 2nd stage of the tournament is changed to a single elimination bracket with the top 8 participating. Yes

League Sorting
My suggestion is that we use head-to-head to decide league placement should the teams be on equal points. For example:

Team Bum is equal on points to Clan of Butts. Team Bum played against Clan of Butts in week 21 and were victorious. Team Bum are therefor placed ahead of Clan of Butts.

Should the teams not have played, because one of the teams is a new entrant, then they will fight a playoff match. Should further sorting be required (in the case of a draw) then Rounds Won will be used.

Should we move on with this, it will be possible for us to allow new teams to start with a clean slate, that includes teams that joined the league previously.

Knockout-Stage and League Splitting
Honestly a lot of the information surrounding this has been vague from the off and that's meant some confusion regarding how this is going to work. Having discussed it amongst the other active admins we've come to the conclusion of how it's going to work. I'll put the preliminary ideas here so that we are able to discuss them in a transparent manner. I'm aware this represents something of a shifting of the goal posts, though considering how vague the rules regarding the end of the fixture list and league splitting, it shouldn't matter too much. So as such we are going to implement something like this:

The top 8 finishers in the league, sorted first by points and then "head-to-head" are seeded according to their position. They will then go into a single elimination tournament that will look a little something like this:

Quarter Finals
Match A: 1st place vs 8th place
Match B: 4th place vs 5th place
Match C: 3rd place vs 6th place
Match D: 2nd place vs 7th place

Semi Finals
Match A: Winner of Match A vs Winner of Match B
Match B: Winner of Match C vs Winner of Match D

Final
Match A: Winner of Match A vs Winner of Match B

The winner of this final match will be crowned WNL champion. I guess the only people this negatively effects are the people who are already up near the top of the table. I really feel however that this is a vast improvement and as a member of a clan up there I would be more than happy to see it implemented.

So why change it?
There's a few major problems with the current League splitting system. Firstly teams 1-5 go into an upper group and those below go into a 2nd group. Two teams can qualify for the knockout-round from each ladder. This means that the knockout stage will be missing 3 of the 5 teams that finished in the top 5 of the initial league. To me this cheapens the league and makes the knockout stage much less exciting. The second problem is that it forces the league to last a considerably longer period of time. Every team is asked to play against each other in this 2nd part of the league. Considering there would be 19 teams in the lower bracket, that means the league would go on for at least a further 18 weeks after this initial league is finished which, considering it seems to have gone on forever already, strikes me as wholly unacceptable.

Maps and Factions
This is definitely something we agree should be shown in advance. We'd use an RNG, a pool of maps and factions in order to make a somewhat equal distribution.

Other Notices
I know we currently have an completely inadequate server situation at the moment and it's going to be difficult to solve. We're currently looking at a few potential avenues we can take and will hopefully have some movement on that soon.

Whilst none of this is really set in stone, it's certainly something we're looking to implement as quickly as possible.

Lazy people:
1. Teams that are equal on points will be sorted via "head-to-head" result or playoff if not applicable.
2. League splitting knockout stage changed into knockout cup with top 8 teams qualifying.
3. Maps and Factions will be announced in advance soon.
4. Server situation currently unsuitable, attempting looking at ways to fix though no promises.

Well, i'm in favour of allowing teams that join the WNL later than the rest to start with clean stats but i don't like the idea of a "head-to-head" using to determine the league placement, as i would prefer to have a playoff match. It makes things unconfortable for me to take a decision on that point so i would be glad if you could split those two ideas in two different points :smile:

Killfacer said:
4. Server situation currently unsuitable, attempting looking at ways to fix though no promises.

UA servers pls.

UA servers. Turkish players, Russian players and French players should all have fair pings there.

Newbiejunky said:
Well, i'm in favour of allowing teams that join the WNL later than the rest to start with clean stats but i don't like the idea of a "head-to-head" using to determine the league placement, as i would prefer to have a playoff match. It makes things unconfortable for me to take a decision on that point so i would be glad if you could split those two ideas in two different points :smile:

Also, nice signature deacon

I don't really see the problem with making it head to head. its seems fairer than r/d and makes for important league games. Lets get this over and done with, we don't need another whole week to decide who finished 13th/14th etc. Its going to a single elim bracket anyway.

In my discussion with Nubijuki he suggested that playoffs were a preferable way of sorting the league. I'm happy to allow playoffs to decide league positioning in the following scenario:

Team Bum finishes 9th with 6 points, Clan on Butts finishes 8th with 6 points. The teams have a playoff to decide who gets the final spot in the Knockout-Stages

I feel like the problem with using playoffs to sort everything is that by the end of the league we're going to be having playoffs to decide who came like 18th because we have no other way of sorting them. Considering the only position that is vital in terms of qualifying for the knockout stage is that 8th spot, it is the only spot where playoffs could be a useful addition. Using playoffs to decide anything else would take too long.

I believe that if we implement Head-to-heads first, with Rounds Won after, we make it unlikely that we'll have any really unsatisfactory outcomes. I want to emphasise here that the only league placement that matters in this league before the split is 1-8. The winner of the league is not decided until the knockout stages. It's not an ideal scenario but I think it's a fairly safe option we can take without damaging the league considering that we're pretty fair into it already.

An alternative to the proposed Knockout-Stage and League Splitting approach, could be considered in the form of a staggered group-splitting before the actual knock-out tournament. I see no necessity why in a group-splitting scenario the 1st group has to consist of the team place on positions 1 to 4, and not, for example and dependig on the number of teams left at the end of the cycle, teams on positions 1, 5, 10 and 15.

Although I'm not advocating such an approach, it could be considered favorable by those teams beneath position 8, since they could at least play in the groupphase of the following tournament. It also could make Nubi's proposal more meaningful.

ModusTollens said:
An alternative to the proposed Knockout-Stage and League Splitting approach, could be considered in the form of a staggered group-splitting before the actual knock-out tournament. I see no necessity why in a group-splitting scenario the 1st group has to consist of the team place on positions 1 to 4, and not, for example and dependig on the number of teams left at the end of the cycle, teams on positions 1, 5, 10 and 15.

Although I'm not advocating such an approach, it could be considered favorable by those teams beneath position 8, since they could at least play in the groupphase of the following tournament. It also could make Nubi's proposal more meaningful.

I think it's a shame that we've reached this point without a proper end goal in sight. My fear is that the addition of a group stage and such at this late stage will make the tournament (which already going on for an incredibly long period of time) last what I think many would consider too long. I believe the way i've proposed will be clean, lead to an exciting climax ( :oops:) and won't take an age.

Certainly I think what you're suggesting and what has been suggested are all interesting ideas worth investigating. I just think perhaps they are better saved for the next incarnation of the WNL and something simpler brought in this "season".

Killfacer said:
ModusTollens said:

I think it's a shame that we've reached this point without a proper end goal in sight. My fear is that the addition of a group stage and such at this late stage will make the tournament (which already going on for an incredibly long period of time) last what I think many would consider too long. I believe the way i've proposed will be clean, lead to an exciting climax ( :oops:) and won't take an age.

Certainly I think what you're suggesting and what has been suggested are all interesting ideas worth investigating. I just think perhaps they are better saved for the next incarnation of the WNL and something simpler brought in this "season".
I'm not suggesting it, I just mentioned it - as it would be conformer to the original approach stated in the rules (since it can't be excluded from its wording). With groups of 4 teams (depending on the number of groups so that a number of qualified teams, which would still need to be a power of 2, can be reached) that would equal 3 more matches per team - compared to the proposal in the OP I don't think that would be "an age" (especially considering how long it already took and still will take).

Again: I don't care which approach is chosen. Nevertheless I can imagine why some people would prefer a staggered group-approach. In the end the knock-out stage of the tournament would hardly differ - it could though considering teams who joined at a (sufficiently) later date wouldn't have any chance on participating in it - whether this is actually good or not (since teams could just ignore the whole league and join in, let's say, week 22 and still be able to win the tournament) is a different question, which certainly would needed to be handled with some sort of entry restriction at some point.

On the other hand, with every sort of following tournament depending on the positions at the end of the WNL, the whole 23 weeks long league-phase could be considered a waste of time (from a competitive POV and especially considering the in any case upcoming NFC) and it may also be worthwhile to consider to just end the league after it has finished and take the positions as they are then.

I understand where your coming from (or not coming from) but I personally consider this method to be preferable. Should it be voted against then we'll look at over options such as the one you mentioned or some other kind of knockout stage. So if everyone could vote on the following (If you vote Yes on question 1 then you don't need to answer question 2):

1. League sorting changes to head-to-head as mentioned above with playoffs used when needed, as stated above.
2. League sorting is still based on R/D but playoffs are used to decide important league placements (those relating to qualification to the knockout stage)
3. Maps and Factions are released in advance.
4. The 2nd stage of the tournament is changed to a single elimination bracket with the top 8 participating.

Remember each clan must nominate or have its leader vote. Vote by posting answer here or sending me a PM with your answers.
If anyone needs any help understanding this then add me on steam (chalfie) or throw me a PM.

Thank you.

1. League sorting changes to head-to-head as mentioned above with playoffs used when needed, as stated above. Yes
2. League sorting is still based on R/D but playoffs are used to decide important league placements (those relating to qualification to the knockout stage) No
3. Maps and Factions are released in advance. Yes
4. The 2nd stage of the tournament is changed to a single elimination bracket with the top 8 participating. No

The Paladins and Defenders of PaD, have spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom