B Fantasy [WB] The Desert Dancer

Users who are viewing this thread

Dawiduh

Squire
mb188.png

a Dune MOD for Mount&Blade Warband

The game will follow loosly the first Dune book. It will cover a timespan from before the Atreides got Arrakis from the Harkonnen, the shot-lived Atreides governance, Harkonnen attack and rule, Fremen insurection and Atreides claiming the Imperial throne. After that is open ended, like the normal Warband.

The player will not play a given character from the books: it will be an annonymous traveller settling on Arrakis and trying to make do. This gives the opportunity to side with any of the factions, observe the events and decide to be (or not) part of them.

- Harkonnen (before and after first Atreides rule);
- Atreides (first and second Atreides rule);
- Corrino (as Imperial observers and invasion armies);
- Fremen;
- Smugglers;

- on world map – transport by land vehicles, ornithopters and sand worms;
- new immersive items replacing medieval Warband ones;
- Arrakis Northern Hemisphere world map;
- discoverable places;
- water and food management;
- new immersive world map icons;
- power shield (as described in the book), laser gun and maula pistol;
- status map with borders;

- added all factions;
- added all places on world map and assigned them to specific factions;
- banners for all factions;
- map icons for places (sietch, fort, village, town, botanical station);
- world map;
- discoverable places;
- krysknife (ingame), khukuri (ingame), kindjal (ingame), gladius (ingame).
- attack people in town;
- sun hat item for pyons;

To do list:

- remove last WB faction and mend all the loose ends in the module system;
- ornithopter travel on world map;
- water and food management;
- spice influence;
- timeline scripts (Atreides takeover, Harkonnen invasion, Fremen insurection, Arrakeen battle);
- faction relationships;
- red nights (as in Cryo's Dune);
- set village and town production;
- fix discoverable places;
- power shield; <<working on it
- attack people in town;

- finish polishing world map;
- specific clothes and armor for each faction;
- ground vehicles, ornithopter and sand worm map icons;
- add scenes for each location;
- fremen skin;
- weapons;
- sandworm, spice harvester, caryall (incl. Animation);
- power shield;

- Graphic User Interface;
- replace font (none selected yet);
- immersive music/sounds;

If anyone is interested to join or help, please PM me. I do not need things done right away, I will not whip you into working. But if you volonteer to do something please state when can you work for it, and a deadline for what you undertake to do. I don't want you to forget about it, abandon work or take 5 months for a knife you said you'll do in 2 weeks.

I will have more time to dedicate myself completely to this project in late January, early February. Until then it is impossible for me to undertake any large-scale work (I mean coding).

12.03.2013 work slowed down because of office projects. Will focus mainly on 3D modeling for now.

Currently working as office time and free time permits.

"DUNE" is a registered copyright and trademark which is owned by The Herbert Limited Partnership.
Dune movie © 1984 Dino de Laurentiis Corporation.
Dune miniseries © A New Amsterdam Entertainment, Inc. production in association with Victor Television Productions, Inc. and Betafilm GmbH.
Dune I computer game © 1993 Virgin Games, Inc.
Dune II computer game © Westwood Studios.
Dune 2000 computer game © 1998 Westwood Studios.
Frank Herbert's Dune © Cryo Enetertainment.
Emperor: Battle for Dune © EA Games.

The present undertaking is a non-commercial project.

Team:

Dawiduh;

Credits:

FantasyWarrior for teaching me how to do the green bump maps.

Lumos for coding the force shield.

Rubik for his Code: The World Map to show the exact realm of factions

Xenoargh for his Crouch animation fix and Pistol code

Zsar for his [TWEAK] Fix the indictment death Spiral

Gutekfiutek for his amazing environment texture pack

HokieBT, Swyter, SheriffTheAvenger, MadVader and Slawomir of Aaarrghh for "the attack people in town script" here and here.

main menu
mb243_net.jpg

second signature
mb188.png

old signature
banner_v2.png

The Muad'Dib moon

The Fist moon

New Harkonnen map icon

New Fremen map icon

Red night - clear sky
mb225_net.jpg

mb226_net.jpg

mb227_net.jpg

mb228_net.jpg

mb229_net.jpg

mb230_net.jpg

mb231_net.jpg

Day - clear sky
mb232_net.jpg

mb233_net.jpg

mb234_net.jpg

mb235_net.jpg

mb236_net.jpg

mb237_net.jpg

Day - dusty sky
mb238_net.jpg

mb239_net.jpg

mb240_net.jpg

mb241_net.jpg

mb242_net.jpg

Screenshots 28th July 2013 - new textures
mb185.jpg

mb186.jpg

mb187.jpg

mb188.jpg

mb190.jpg

mb191.jpg

mb193.jpg

mb194.jpg

mb195.jpg

mb196.jpg

mb197.jpg

mb199.jpg

mb200.jpg

mb201.jpg

mb202.jpg

mb203.jpg

mb204.jpg

mb205.jpg

mb206.jpg

mb207.jpg

Pyon desert communal dwelling

Force Shield

Pyon Sun Hat

New HUD
mb92.jpg

New Ground, Desert and Spice Textures
mb90.jpg

mb89.jpg

mb88.jpg

mb87.jpg

mb86.jpg

mb85.jpg

mb84.jpg

mb83.jpg

Maula Gun
maula_001.jpg

maula_002.jpg

maula_003.jpg

maula_004.jpg

Arrakeen Map Icon and Ground Vehicle Map Icon
arrakeen_001.jpg

arrakeen_002.jpg

arrakeen_003.jpg

New DX9 screenshots
mb56.jpg

mb55.jpg

mb54.jpg

mb53.jpg

mb52.jpg

mb51.jpg

mb50.jpg

mb49.jpg

mb48.jpg

mb47.jpg

mb46.jpg

hk01.jpg

WIP Generic Harkonnen Soldier

hh1.jpg

hh2.jpg

WIP Harkonnen infantry helmet (urban model)​
imperial_basin.jpg

Rough map of the Imperial Basin (most places unnamed yet).

arrakeen.jpg

Arrakeen area.

arrakeen_zoom.jpg

Arrakeen Close-up.

tsimpo_harkonnen.jpg

Tsimpo town under Harkonnen control.

fort_village.jpg

Fort and village under Harkonnen control.

fort.jpg

Fort under Harkonnen control.

tabr.jpg

Sietch Tabr.

n_ridge.jpg

Three villages belonging to Sietch Tabr.

smugglers.jpg

Smugglers Town (unnamed yet).

riches.jpg

Cave of Riches Imperial Botanical Station (WIP).

krys_net.jpg

Fremen Krysknife.

khukuri_net.jpg

Sardaukar knife (WIP).

kindjal_net.jpg

Atreides Kindjal (to be shortened).

gladius_diffuse_3.jpg

Harkonnen Gladius

fremen_youngster.jpg

A fremen youngster after a fight. Note the Krys, and the scabbard using the same model as the knife.  Armor is for test only, so I have an usable item, not intended or final version.

Awesome. Hopefully you can capture the knife fights well.

Question: Visually are you going to make your own interpretation? Or are you going to follow how either the movie or the miniseries did things?

Hey guys. Visually I would go closer to David Lynch's Dune and Cryo's Dune videogame. Closer would not mean the same. The Miniseries are a bit too Renaissance to what I expected of Dune. I will post some pictures once I clean up a bit the work folder.  Don't expect eyecandy (yet) as I'm running the game windowed and low-res and on a ****y laptop with no graphicsboard in order to load fast for testing.

The knife fights would mostly be an one-to-one thing. The normal group fighting will have to be a bit more dynamic, otherwise the whole system would be unbalanced. So let's say some short-sword style.

I am thinking to add rideable sand worms as world map vehicles mostly. Their (real) size would quickly fill up any scene. If it makes sense to insert them in the battles and if I can code that, I will.

Well development has only start so im guessing we would have to wait some time for him to do anything for it but yea also can't wait so good luck on this mod.

Good to hear, I already noticed that mod on the Dune2k forums, and it's coming along real nice.

I hope to play it soon, since I'm really a fan of the books.
I'm reading (quite slowly, to be honest) the penultimate book written by Herbert Sr.

The developement started in July actually, but I didn't have a continous work time. I still don't.
I have just posted some screenshots up in the main presentation. They're really low-res as I run the game like that for testing. Also my laptop cannot take all the pretty effects without almost freezing the game. Which sucks.

I also have an almost-finished Gladius for the Harkonnen (I think of them of being mostly the stabbing part).

The world map icons are inspired by Cryo's Dune.

The world map itself is not fully finished as I have to make well... er... dunes in the desert and work on the walkability of the terrain. Right now some areas are not transitable, probably the stone textures on the sides are too close.

Also I am thinking of transforming some of the Imperial Botanical Stations into sietches. That is because I really think i misinterpreted the original map and added to many botanical station.

Thanks for the support guys!

Rimmilin1 said:
woah, did u use 3ds max to do it? wut ver of 3dsmax did you use?

It's been a combination of AutoCAD 2010, Rhino 4 SR7 and 3DS Max 2009 Design for the 3D and unwrapping. The images you see here are screenshots from openBRF. I want to add that all the afore-mentioned software is on my company's computer. Some days I don't have much to do at work :smile:

Soon enough I think I'll try this Wings 3D free software that is so popular on the forums. That will enable me to work from home also.

Dawiduh said:
Rimmilin1 said:
woah, did u use 3ds max to do it? wut ver of 3dsmax did you use?

It's been a combination of AutoCAD 2010, Rhino 4 SR7 and 3DS Max 2009 Design for the 3D and unwrapping. The images you see here are screenshots from openBRF. I want to add that all the afore-mentioned software is on my company's computer. Some days I don't have much to do at work :smile:

Soon enough I think I'll try this Wings 3D free software that is so popular on the forums. That will enable me to work from home also.

I'm pretty sure you can get all that software free of their website, its meant to be only free for students but anyone can download it. It might of changed since i last looked but i dont think so.

Rhino 4 has a free version with a limit of 10 saves. Instead of AutoCAD you can use DraftSight. Also check this out: 10 AutoCAD alternatives.

Sketch-Up is a good (and free tool) though it does not bode well with complex projects.

I use 3D Max for unwrapping, and making sure all the polys' normals are set up right. I guess Wings 3D does that also.

Dawiduh said:
Rhino 4 has a free version with a limit of 10 saves. Instead of AutoCAD you can use DraftSight. Also check this out: 10 AutoCAD alternatives.

Sketch-Up is a good (and free tool) though it does not bode well with complex projects.

I use 3D Max for unwrapping, and making sure all the polys' normals are set up right. I guess Wings 3D does that also.

I use Autodesk Maya for modeling and uv-mapping. Best to use one program rather than flip flop between different ones.

Austro said:
Dawiduh said:

I use Autodesk Maya for modeling and uv-mapping. Best to use one program rather than flip flop between different ones.

True but I haven't found a mesh unwrap in Rhino yet. It has an "unroll surface" but that does not work with meshes.

I've never even heard or Rhino lol.

If you want to use a good free 3d modeling program that has uv unwrapping and animation tools, use blender

http://www.blender.org/

i tried blender a while back and i didn't even find how to rotate the camera.  :mrgreen:

i use rhino at work, it is mainly nurbs, it's got a load of functions... pretty goddamn useful. plus you can install the grasshopped parametric design plugin. which is pretty cool  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom