Taleworlders' Top Tips and Wonderful Words of Wisdom

Users who are viewing this thread

Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.

If there be Gods they do not matter, and justice belongs to the strong. But remember this, that all things done before the naked stars are remembered.

Klingon proverbs

Pharaoh Llandy said:
kurczak said:
The strong do not, cannot and should not respect the weak.

I really don't get this. I mean, it's very subjective and out of context like this, quite arbitrary. How do you define strong and weak?

Is it physical strength? If so, does that mean somebody who can bench 200kg shouldn't respect someone who's been paralysed from birth?

Are we talking about mental strength? Is the soldier who doesn't suffer from PTSD superior in some way to the one who does?

Or are we talking about strength of personality and conviction? There are many people in the world who have changed hearts and minds -- not always for the better.

TLDR: Further elaboration required.

e) none of the above.

Although mental strength comes pretty close, but still your particular doesn't really fit what I meant. Having PTSD is ok, not doing anything about is not. The strong/weak distinction as I meant it overlaps a lot with the overused and somewhat abused survivor/victim dichotomy. Put simply, the difference between the two groups is the will to live. The former do stuff, the latter are good at explaining why stuff can't be done. The former know that guilt accomplishes nothing and that it only stands in the way of a true change, the latter revel in it, both in receiving it and in inflicting it upon others. The former change because they want to, the latter change because they have to. The former want to succeed, the latter want others to fail. The former embrace life and hug the bejesus out of it, the latter just shuffle their feet around it helplessly. Both are hanging on a rope above this swirling vortex of chaos we call life, but only the former dare to cut the rope and be free.

I guess it is somewhat subjective and arbitrary, or at least deliberately somewhat vague. But "Wonderful Words of Wisdom" are not imo supposed to be scientific theses and they should allow for some sort of individual interpretation and customization of their meaning.

Edit: ok, I think now I smuggled in all the references I wanted.

MadVader said:
She is Ayn Rand incarnate, so it is serious.

Sure, having a vagina and being a laissez-faire person totally makes me Ayn Rand incarnate. I guess when you bash the Fox news for too long, you will eventually adopt their way of thinking.

kurczak said:
I guess it is somewhat subjective and arbitrary, or at least deliberately somewhat vague. But "Wonderful Words of Wisdom" are not imo supposed to be scientific theses and they should allow for some sort of individual interpretation and customization of their meaning.

I suppose that, too, is quite subjective. I like to think wise words are those which can't easily be twisted by unsavoury people, ie, those who advocate eugenics, or spend their weekends at KKK rallies, which I easily imagine "The strong should never respect the weak" could.

(Also I don't believe in 'strong' and 'weak' as anything other than a test of tensile strength or the property of hardness, since they, like "good" and "bad", along with other things such as beauty, are subjective creations of humanity and have no true, discernible value or scale by which they can be measured)

Nice, poetic explanation though.

Back
Top Bottom