What made you lose faith in humanity today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sounds like Google's search engine for China (Dragonfly) will basically be another surveillance tool for the government.
Likely controlled by the Chinese more than Google themselves - at least the parts that matter, such as censorship and surveillance.

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/14/google-china-prototype-links-searches-to-phone-numbers/

GOOGLE BUILT A prototype of a censored search engine for China that links users’ searches to their personal phone numbers,
thus making it easier for the Chinese government to monitor people’s queries, The Intercept can reveal.
The search engine would be operated as part of a “joint venture” partnership with a company based in
mainland China, according to sources familiar with the project. People working for the joint venture
would have the capability to update the search term blacklists, the sources said, raising new questions about whether
Google executives in the U.S. would be able to maintain effective control and oversight over the censorship.
Hard to see how Google can justify their involvement in this - other than the pseudoargument: if not us, then others will.

Adorno said:
All companies have codes of ethics, and terms like social responsibility.
How do you expect/demand honesty and respect from employees if the company is a propaganda factory?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_code

Are you that naïve to suggest that companies adopt codes of ethics and spew drivel about "social responsibility" for any reason other than the fact that they are either legally required to or it has the potential to make them more money by improving their brand? The modern international corporation will pay lip service to these concepts so long as they don't impede their business too much, but if any of the wide-ranging incidents of corporate skulduggery in the past few decades are anything to go by, the law of the land is nothing is illegal so long as you don't get caught. And in the case of Google, they are so massive that they can afford to do things like this openly. Who would effectively take them to task for it?

Ninja'ed.

:lol:

I'm not that naive. But backlash from questionable ethics has been known to happen.
For example Google pledged to not make AI for weapons after criticism - https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44412028
Although I doubt that will last, it still shows what criticism can do (or maybe Google doesn't find it profitable just yet).
We might see something similar in this 'Dragonfly' case. But right now it looks like that ship has sailed.

Notice what Pichai said back then (just 3-4 months ago):

The new guidelines for AI use were outlined in a blog post from chief executive Sundar Pichai.

He said the firm would not design AI for:

- technologies that cause or are likely to cause overall harm
- weapons or other technologies whose principal purpose is to cause or directly facilitate injury to people
- technology that gathers or uses information for surveillance violating internationally accepted norms
- technologies whose purpose contravenes widely accepted principles of international law and human rights

Looks like Google is just doing the same thing in China they're doing (or at the very very least, would love to do) everywhere else.

Let's worry about our own internet oligarchy more and less about China's, I say.

This major, fake, exaggerated on-air report from the Weather Channel covering Hurricane Florence in NC.  He is pretending to have difficulty standing in the ferocious winds that they measure themselves at 29 MPH, Approx. the exit velocity of semen.  Meanwhile two guys stroll through the background who are unaffected.

Lol at how that video has been interpreted differently every time I've seen it this week. I've seen people berating the guys in the back for not helping, and others defending the news reporter for having a bit of fun on air (and not just hamming it up for sensationalism). We may never know the truth.

Kentucky James said:
Lol at how that video has been interpreted differently every time I've seen it this week. I've seen people berating the guys in the back for not helping, and others defending the news reporter for having a bit of fun on air (and not just hamming it up for sensationalism). We may never know the truth.
He does not need help standing in 29 MPH winds even with gusts to 49 MPH.  That is the sickest form of sensationalism, pure and simple.

This is partly why I fear for this generation. Stupid ****ing kids like Dystopian and Wiggum have no clear demarcation between what should be considered a joke or a serious matter.

Adorno said:
:lol:

I'm not that naive. But backlash from questionable ethics has been known to happen.
For example Google pledged to not make AI for weapons after criticism - https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44412028
Although I doubt that will last, it still shows what criticism can do (or maybe Google doesn't find it profitable just yet).
We might see something similar in this 'Dragonfly' case. But right now it looks like that ship has sailed.

And that's the lovely thing about an international corporation, is that when they face backlash and outcry in the West they can always move their operations to a place where they are given significant leeway in developing things that would be considered illegal elsewhere. That's what I mean by asking who would ever take Google to task - the only reason they stopped development on that earlier project was because it's not in their short-term interests to do so. Nothing whatsoever to do with ethics.

"What made you lose faith in humanity today?" - weakness. Specifically, those miserable human beings who would gladly sacrifice their own freedom by restricting themselves and other people with laws and morale to obtain some feeling of security and a chance to live a little bit longer. Also those jitterbugs who are fighting against technological progress or different kind of art forms because of pathetic fear that some of them may theoretically cause harm (or motivate somebody to cause harm) to some people. And those ignorant fools who are relying on emotions, feeling and their beliefs instead of the facts and logic. And specially those hypocrites who are making benefits for for themselves but trying to cover it with stories about caring about other people (and even more - those fools who are believing them).
Honestly, modern world reminds me the beginning of the middle ages the only question is: whether this new medieval will be also one thousand years long or not.

Back
Top Bottom