What made you lose faith in humanity today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lol. Be angry that your employers are dicks and give you **** salaries American waiters, not that people aren't fond of already paying a lot for a meal and then needing to leave an extra cumbersome amount to cover you because you willingly got a job where you knew the base pay was bad.

I don't really care that service is mostly paid by extra money that are not factored in the price I see on the menu. It is an annoyance, but it's not a huge deal. What bugs me is the calculation; it should be based on the number of items brought over plus some flat fee or something like that not on the price of the things I order. The service is (or should be) exactly the same regardless of what I order. The ***** brought over 40 bottles, surely didn't bring them separately in 40 individual trips, let's say 15 trips, one trip takes say two minutes, another two minutes of small talk with the customers per trip, so let's make it an hour of her time and she expects to be paid 16,000 (SIXTEEN THOUSANDS) dollars? Jesus Christ, not even senior partners in absolute top elite law firms charge that, we're talking like rates of the top-tier lizard overlords at Goldman Sachs or sth.

Obviously, this is an extreme case, but the principle that the tip is a % of the ordered things irks me even when it results in much less outrageous numbers.

That's a very reasonable view and I apply it myself. I'm more than glad to tip waiters well when I really do put them through quite some work and they're helpful and cooperative all along. And this tip has no relation to what I'm also spending on the meal, I've certainly "overtipped" at medium range restaurants before because the staff helped me accommodate big groups and went through non-standard hoops to do so. I mean, in Portugal tipping is more of an informal actual gesture of gratitude for good service, rather than a standard obnoxious fee, it's certainly not a guarantee and since waiters don't rely on it for earnings, the attitude around is extremely laid-back. It's mostly a source of beer money for them.

And the upside is that if a customer is rude to you you can be rude in return without worrying about how low your earnings are likely to become. I like sass.

kurczak said:
I don't really care that service is mostly paid by extra money that are not factored in the price I see on the menu. It is an annoyance, but it's not a huge deal. What bugs me is the calculation; it should be based on the number of items brought over plus some flat fee or something like that not on the price of the things I order. The service is (or should be) exactly the same regardless of what I order. The ***** brought over 40 bottles, surely didn't bring them separately in 40 individual trips, let's say 15 trips, one trip takes say two minutes, another two minutes of small talk with the customers per trip, so let's make it an hour of her time and she expects to be paid 16,000 (SIXTEEN THOUSANDS) dollars? Jesus Christ, not even senior partners in absolute top elite law firms charge that, we're talking like rates of the top-tier lizard overlords at Goldman Sachs or sth.

Obviously, this is an extreme case, but the principle that the tip is a % of the ordered things irks me even when it results in much less outrageous numbers.
Hmm interesting. I guess tip system doesn't make waiters worse off in some cases. When it's proportional 15% it allows them to use the monopoly power of the restaurant for themselves by forcing the restaurant to pay a minimum proportion of its revenues to the waiters. In labour-intense small restaurants I guess it doesn't affect waiters at all since labour payments are more than that 15%. But I believe that kind of restaurant would love paying less to its waiters.

But ofc being waiter in that kind of restaurant must be competitive as **** so I would say much of the salary must be deserved. But in any case it's more likely to be a wealth transfer from expensive restaurants to waiters and from tip paying customers to not tip paying customers. So doesn't look like there is any reason to be outraged unless you are restaurant owner. That kind of restaurants do not charge relative to the cost of product. When yiu ban the fees they're likely to make prices increase %15 because they could charge these prices before to maximise profit.

I'm not arguing the economy here. Yeah, in most establishments (afaik) the tips are more or less evenly divided between the whole shift including the bartenders and kitchen, if applicable. So that individual waiters don't get screwed over purely by the random chance of being assigned to a "worse" table. So it really functions as a 10%-20% "hidden" increase in price of the aggregate order for that shift.

But I don't know, it's still stupid :razz:

Almalexia said:
trickle down economics at its most simple and literal.

YdMhU.gif

Kurc a five dollar tip is usually what people expect and get, the percentage thing is only for rich people who want to feel good about themselves. More than five bucks means they told you a funny story and gave you some extra companionship. Lower your standards. Also, you don't have to leave a tip. I've been caught without tip money, or have been selfish. I'm not gonna get into the debunking of the retarded "Its your fault you picked this low-paying job" argument.

Having lived in Spain where tipping is not common at all (obv) I can understand the gulf in the culture.

DYSTOPIAN said:
Also, you don't have to leave a tip.

I mean yeah you won't be arrested or something if you don't leave a tip, but if you intend to come to that place again you probably should. I've known people who've been kicked out/banned for not tipping. That said, only because they never did, rather than a one-time mistake or whatever. Tourists aren't even expected to tip at all on the Strip.

The percentage thing isn't just for rich people though? If you had a $6.50 meal (maybe all you wanted was an appetizer) I would think it pretty unreasonable to tip $5 and I'm a generous tipper. And on the other hand if you had a party of like 15 people you'd obviously want to leave more than $5. The percentage of 15% as a guideline keeps it fair imo.

DYSTOPIAN said:
I'm not gonna get into the debunking of the retarded "Its your fault you picked this low-paying job" argument.

But yeah, this is not even worth addressing.

Yeah, not tipping feels super confrontational. I've been told multiple times by multiple people that anything under 10% is essentially telling the waiter/ess they suck.

I'd probably agree with that, with the addition that leaving a stupidly tiny tip (like really anything less than a dollar) is actually worse than leaving nothing at all. If you didn't leave anything, most reasonable people will assume you forgot (which I don't see how it's even possible, but y'know, tourists) or that you didn't have enough, and they will move on with their lives. If you went through the trouble of leaving something, but it's two pennies and a dime, that can't be taken any other way than "you were ****"

Back
Top Bottom