[research] carthage

Users who are viewing this thread

What about Spoils of war? nothing gets lost after a battle. Descriptions are in Italian, sorry.
There are some names that can be used for making some generals Seek :wink:

12006198_1630845623834356_1538822502334857508_n.jpg
Stele di Abd Asart ad el Hofra, Costantina (Algeria Orientale).

L'elmo, che non ha eguali nel campo dei ritrovamenti cartaginesi o libici, probabilmente è un retaggio fenicio, visti i modelli assai simili ritrovati in Libano e datati ad epoche precedenti.

Segue coppia di "lonchai", armi in asta ad uso duale, un thyreos spinato con umbone metallico e un gladio ispanico.

12011349_1630845700501015_7704457380824461028_n.jpg
Ricostruzione di Thorakites o Rab Miat ("Capo di Cento", un ufficiale) dell'esercito Barcide.
Alla falcata, di origine iberica, si accompagna un elmo ricercato di tipo ellenistico, un Frigio, il cui utilizzo in ambito cartaginese è riscontrato già dalla Prima Guerra Punica (relitto delle Egadi).

La cotta di maglia, forse una dotazione originaria, più probabilmete è stata predata sul Trebbia o sul Trasimeno, e senza dubbio questo è il caso dello scudo, uno scutum romano ridipinto col simbolo di Cartagine.

12027538_1630845627167689_7665898094728182435_n.jpg

"Sardolìbyes oudèn kéktentai skeuos exo kylikos kaì machairas"

"I Sardolibi non usavano alcuna suppellettile oltre la kylix per bere il vino e la machaira"

(Ellanico di Mitilene, FgrHist.90 F 103r; 4 F 67)

- Kylix da Tharros
- Elmo Montefortino da Predunghesti
- Machaira da Santa Lucia di Gesico

La pelle, portata a mo' di pallio come tradizione dei Libi (ma anche un richiamo ai Sardi autoctoni detti "Pelliti") è di muflone.

Il cardiophylax rettangolare potrebbe essere una preda di guerra sottratta ai Romani (come d'altra parte il Montefortino), oppure un elemento di origine locale, riscontrabile nella statuaria insulare per quanto in epoche molto più antiche (cfr. Monte Prama).

11206950_1630845620501023_3576459050741915268_n.jpg

"Bodmilqart figlio di Stenio figlio di Achaio/Accio figlio di Pacuvio/Pakis il fonditore"
(CIS 5984)

La panoplia ricostruita si ispira al ritrovamento di Ksour-es-Sal e ad una stele del tophet di Cartagine.

I diversi elementi riportano ad una panoplia di tipo sud-italico, la cui presenza in ambito punico sarebbe corroborata dalle numerose iscrizioni funerarie cartaginesi ascritte a "Libofenici" immigrati di seconda o terza generazione di origini osche (molto probabilmente brettie).

12038495_1631075457144706_4781153040661791594_n.jpg

“[I Libici] Portano piccoli scudi rotondi di cuoio, e lance corte dalla cuspide ampia.
Le loro tuniche sono portate senza cintura e laticlavie,e portano una pelle di capra a mo’ di pallio, come ho detto in precedenza, che ha anche la funzione di protezione”
(Strabone, Geografia, XVII.3.7)

12006083_1631068333812085_5500873018104949995_n.jpg

«L'armamento dei Libici era romano, poiché Annibale aveva equipaggiato tutti i suoi soldati con le spoglie raccolte nella battaglia precedente»
(Polibio, III, 114, 1)

Se tutto l'armamento del veterano africano dell'esercito di Annibale ritratto potrebbe essere preda di guerra saccheggiata dopo le vittorie del Trebbia e del Trasimeno, tanto l'elmo Montefortino quanto la kopis potrebbero appartenere anche alla dotazione originaria.

In particolare il Montefortino è una tipologia attestata in ambito cartaginese dalla I Guerra Punica (cfr. Relitto delle Egadi), e addirittura vi è un modello di Montefortino ritrovato in Numidia con incisi sopra caratteri in Amazigh, l'antico alfabeto delle popolazioni berbere.

12027660_1631068337145418_6680628290380983735_n.jpg

Panoplia libofenicia ispirata al monumento di Chemtou, con linothorax e thyreos.

Lonche da Es-Soumaa ed elmo attico tratto dalla monetazione barcide di Cartagena.

La collana d'ambra è un particolare volutamente inserito per ricondurre ad un Libofenicio immigrato di seconda generazione di origine celtica, nominato in un cippo del Tophet di Cartagine:
"Abdmilqart, figlio di Abdeshmun, figlio di Cozio"
(CIS 5273)

Yes I did know most of these date back to the first and second Punic war, but excluding gladius hispanienses and hamata of course, we can see some more ancient stuff like the first image helmet, which seems an interesting inheritance from Phoenicians (previous times Libanon foundings). The falcata sword was original from the Celtiberians and no doubt about phrygian helmet and Montefortino.
I don't think loncophoroi equipment changed too much from the times of IV century till First Punic war, I mean how much light infantry can be influenced? of course they could use the booty to find some better equipment, but this boy seems like very light  :lol:
I am not sure about about lonche and thureos, but if the thureos has been introduced in the previous version...

I wasn't dismissing the whole thing of course, it's just that we'll have to be fairly selective on what is possibly used in our timeframe but I think it will be nice to depict the Carthaginians prior to the Roman influenced army with mostly Hellenic and Phoenician influence, especially the richly equipped Sacred Band as related during their rather unsuccessful Syracusan campaign against Agathoclès. The thureo and falcata will need some research but while I see the kopis as a good fit if the later wasn't introduced yet, I don't really know what could possibly replace the thureo for medium infantry such as the Liby-Phoenician but we aren't there yet so it's just speculation.

Hepicurus' doctrine is strong in you, my friend. Outside a sterile speculation about what the future will grant us, the battle of White Tunis in 311 BCE saw almost 30 thousands Carthaginian against the hoplites of Agathoclès (not mentioning Agathoclès mercenary units, almost from all the mediterranean peoples, and eliminating elephants and chariots for Carthage, due to obvious engine limitations). Apart from the Sacred Band who occupied the priviledged "keras", the central part of the "taxis" should not be so differ from the typical Hellenic hoplite panoply. I mean materials could also be different, but the warfare was so similar, in almost 2 century of war between each other.
In this case Timocracy does his duty, so we can expect lower census citizens to have less armour, higher cenusus a thorax and so on till cavalry.
Something very interesting  is

"Bodmilqart figlio di Stenio figlio di Achaio/Accio figlio di Pacuvio/Pakis il fonditore"
(CIS 5984)

La panoplia ricostruita si ispira al ritrovamento di Ksour-es-Sal e ad una stele del tophet di Cartagine.

I diversi elementi riportano ad una panoplia di tipo sud-italico, la cui presenza in ambito punico sarebbe corroborata dalle numerose iscrizioni funerarie cartaginesi ascritte a "Libofenici" immigrati di seconda o terza generazione di origini osche (molto probabilmente brettie).

the origins of this soldier were Bruttians! His family lived lived in Carthage at the time Pakis- Pacuvius moved. A proof of mobility and multiculturalism that made Carthage leader of the West mediterranean trade.

The journey of Hano the navigator - west coast of Africa

"In its inmost recess was an island similar to that formerly described, which contained in like manner a lake with another island, inhabited by a rude description of people. The females were much more numerous than the males, and had rough skins: our interpreters called them Gorillae. We pursued but could take none of the males; they all escaped to the top of precipices, which they mounted with ease, and threw down stones; we took three of the females, but they made such violent struggles, biting and tearing their captors, that we killed them, and stripped off the skins, which we carried to Carthage: being out of provisions we could go no further."

total_war1444914710_2.jpg

total_war1444914755_3.jpg

d2VBXkY.gif

total_war1444914660_1.jpg

561px-Hannon_map-fr.svg.png

Artwork by Graham Sumner  :arrow: http://gsillustrator.co.uk/work.php?type=1
from the book: "Roman Conquests - North Africa"

Carthaginian citizen Hoplite

Despite being a fresh-faced tyro, our young citizen in this reconstruction has equipped himself
well. The great advantage of the linen corselet (Greek linothôrax) was its comfort, as it is more
flexible and much cooler than bronze under an African sun. To complete his protection, he wears a
‘Phyrygian’ helmet, so-named because its shape resembled the ‘Phrygian bonnet’ worn during
antiquity and borrowed during the french Revolution. This style commonly had a fairly substantial
brim to provide some protection to the upper face, and long pointed cheek-pieces extending below the
chin to provide some protection to the throat. These were usually plain, but could occasionally extend
to cover the whole face, only leaving apertures for the eyes and mouth and frequently decorated with
embossed facial hair. Once again our young citizen has spared no expense as the cheek-pieces of his
helmet are superbly embossed with stylized curls to represent a luxuriant beard and mustache.

rLydoPt.jpg

img68.jpg

Numidian Mercenary 2nd Punic War

Though a peasant conscript, nature at least had designed our Numidian for a javelineer. As this
reconstruction shows, he is light, athletic and lissome, with a good length of arms. He is armed with
the chief missiles of all North African peoples, namely the broad-bladed javelin. Javelins could be
equipped with a finger loop, a thin leather thong that provided leverage and acted like a sling to
propel the javelin, and as it was launched the thong unwound, having the same effect as the
rifling inside a rifling inside a rifle barrel:it spun the javelin, ensuring a steadier flight. The other
personal weapon of our Numidian is the arm dagger, which is housed in a leather sheath attached to
the inner side of his left forearm by a leather loop. For quick extraction with the right hand the flat
wooden hilt rests against the inside of his left wrist. His hardy pony, able to thrive on the meagrest
grazing, affords him unrivaled mobility in raiding and battle.

img67.jpg

MROn4eR.jpg

Bronze equestrian figurine (London, British Museum) of a Numidian horseman. Riding without
either bridle or saddle cloth almost from infancy, Numidians rode small, swift horses that appeared
scrawny and neglected but were capable of enduring where fleshier mounts could not. These horse
warriors, lightly equipped and exceedingly mobile, were brilliant skirmishers, and on campaign were
ideal for foraging, reconnaissance, raiding, and ambush. Under a first-class general, such as Hamilcar
or Hannibal, Numidians made excellent irregular horse. Of course, under the slippery Iugurtha, they
were to cause the Roman invaders no end of bother. (Esther carré)

3ISgeWK.jpg

Artwork by Johnny Shumate
from the book: "Roman Conquests - Macedonia and Greece"

Numidian elephant riders on campaign in Greece: It is a matter of some controversy whether
Hannibal's elephants had towers, but it is more probable that these were fitted as standard
by the time of the Macedonian Wars.

X0LZTIc.jpg

But Hannibal is a BERSERKER!, at least according to the history channel  :razz:
That sounds interesting, the Gallic warrior in the preview print seems to speak some form of archaic irish or something though:
778dc5ba7c62f3c19d404beae823df55_original.jpg
It's a bit far from the British Isles.

They're aiming for December 2017, can we finish Carthage before that?

Bloody hell, that looks and sounds amazing. I love comics.
First my favourite comic book artist made a graphic novel of the Anabasis and now this? Goddamn, I wish I had money to back it up with.
E: Well, atleast it's already gotten enough backing  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom