MP Modern Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not to mention a Purdey Elephant Rifle costs about what 100 or so Lee Enfields would.  However, even reading that one can tell that was a very limited thing for a very limited period.  Besides, 62 rifles is a drop in the bucket, from a military standpoint it isn't even worth mentioning beyond being an oddity.  Not to mention once you get to a certain sized bullet the recoil is so massive that having a scope is a danger to the shooter (I know this from experience, I watched my father fire two such rifles, the one with the scope nearly beamed him in the eye and the other one of a larger caliber was specifically without a scope or it was guaranteed to!)

As for Jäger units, well that doesn't equate snipers.  There might have been snipers in Jäger units, but being a Jäger and having a sport Mauser doesn't mean it is scoped either.

Finally, as much as I enjoy Osprey books, they are entry level in stringency.  In other words, although much of what they say is right, a fair amount doesn't hold up to scrutiny when researched deeper (I know this from the many various titles I own in the series).  Now, if there was a picture in the book from the war that showed any of this, I would be very trusting of it.

Well, I didn't say that elephant guns were scoped, I'm sorry about the confusion, I shouldn't have mentionned them in my answer for Wernicke's question.
Jäger units were not snipers, but the tradition wants them to be good marksmen and skirmishers. And the Mauser Sporting rifle is not shown with a scope on it.
I know that Osprey books are entry level in stringency, I'm a medieval reenactor and it is not recommended to use their drawings as a start for your costumes. But they indicate their sources, and they won't speak about something if they don't have the source about it (except for that subject, they don't indicate anything). So I guess that the use of elephant guns might have been a very small part of marksman weapons used during the conflict...
Please excuse me for my mistake, sir !

I was hoping I could request a regiment reservation under the name 22nd SturmVolk Grenadiers, as several of our members in the 5th ROF as interested in forming a reg. when the mod is released

This mod gets more attention on the Napoleonic Wars Community forum as well as the FSE NW mods in development forum.

He says an update will be coming soon probably early February. Also, apparently there's new talent on the team?

Aye, the mod progresses.
After talking to him on steam, he's still showing quite a few signs of undying dedication.

I trust he'll carry it out until the end. Rigadoon is a nice guy. :wink:

Update #14 Knives

The team has been working hard on many big things. Unfortunately, they aren't quite ready to be shown. However, it's been far too long since the last update, so I cooked up a little something for you guys. Consider it a little treat for your patience. :wink: A while ago, we showed our extensive collection of clubs. Of course, if you have the mashy things, you need the stabby and slashy things. So this update will feature several knives to be included in the mod. Thank Diplex for these incredible looking preview layouts!

The Lebel bayonet was something that was shown before but I discovered that the references I used were of a pre-war model. This is a more WWI appropriate version, with a removed quillon. The blade has also been improved, now having a cruciform shape, which create wounds that were very difficult to heal. A popular nickname for the bayonet was Rosalie.
n92Y7w4poghnukwwfbDi98QVn8DYMhnMZMwtI5MPGwg_zps86499e7e.png

The Poignard-Baïonnette Lebel M1886/14 was developed by Lt. Col. Coutrot of the French Army, who saw the need of knives in trench warfare. A Lebel Bayonet's blade could be turned into three Poignard-Baïonnettes.
Poignard_zpsbe9f7e76.png

The Couteau Poignard Mle 1916 was a much deadlier trench knife produced later in the war. It was called the Vengeur(Avenger).
Couteau_zps8d1990cb.png

Now to the Germans. The main bayonet the Germans used during WWI was the Seitengewehr 98/05. Because of its distinctive shape, it was often called the Butcher's Blade by Allied soldiers
Seitengewehr_zps8b6b9bd6.png

Last is the German Nahkampfmesser fighting knife.
Nahkampfmesser_zpsc94629b0.png

There are some things that still need improving but they're done for the most part. Stay tuned for the next update! Like I said, big things are on the way.  :wink:

Could you put serbia and motntenegro as seperate factions ?
That's becouse Serbia won the first battle ever fought against central forces (Austro-ugaria and Germany)

Back
Top Bottom