Grenadiers have grenades in NW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Adi

Recruit
I bought yestarday NW and I play 2 sieges and one conquest, and I was surprise that grenadiers couldn`t use grenades. Grenades were disabled by server or do not exist in the game?

ill let other people explain this...anyway grenades hadnt been used by grenadiers etc since the early 1700's, they were to dangerous etc , the title greandiers was give to the flank companie of regiment , same as light infantry, during the Napoleonic era,and before, the grenadiers were the biggest men in the regiment

5arge said:
Commander Millander said:
*Incoming history lesson*
As Millander inferred but did not explain, grenades had fallen out of use by this time period. Too many TKs.
Thanks for your answer. But a grenadier should have at least one grenade on sieges or urban fight.

Adi said:
5arge said:
As Millander inferred but did not explain, grenades had fallen out of use by this time period. Too many TKs.
Thanks for your answer. But a grenadier should have at least one grenade on sieges or urban fight.

It was done in the early beta of Mount and Musket. It did not go around well.

Grenades of the 18th century were basically those silly looking spherical cartoon bombs that if thrown at another human with a fuse longer than 10 seconds (It'd have to be long or the thrower would get a face full of iron shards for his trouble) they would have been easily kicked away or put out.

Grenadiers and Foot Guard were shock troops due to their height and strength held back in reserve or placed on the right side of the line during battle. What you see in Total War games is hilarious innacurate fun.

Adi said:
But a grenadier should have at least one grenade on sieges or urban fight.

Grenadiers had grenades, as said, in the early 1700s. However when thrown up a breach they had a tendency to roll back down.

At Badajoz the French used improvised Artillery Shells as Grenades to roll down the breach, and the French navy had some freaky glass grenades that look as nasty as an attack dog in a portaloo.

SeanBeansShako said:
Adi said:
5arge said:

It was done in the early beta of Mount and Musket. It did not go around well.

Grenades of the 18th century were basically those silly looking spherical cartoon bombs that if thrown at another human with a fuse longer than 10 seconds (It'd have to be long or the thrower would get a face full of iron shards for his trouble) they would have been easily kicked away or put out.

Grenadiers and Foot Guard were shock troops due to their height and strength held back in reserve or placed on the right side of the line during battle. What you see in Total War games is hilarious innacurate fun.
oh god do you imagine a full server with noobs and grenades? :sad: 1 grenade per round in WFAS is enough to make me ragequit...

Yeah I still remember the first version of MM when they still had nades, you couldn't move two feet sometimes without half the people in spawn getting killed it the first five seconds or the server would crash from lag and I'd imagine that a few players with low end PCs where watching them implode or burst into flames.

As for grenadiers not having grenades in the 1800's was due to the fact that it wasn't only dangerous to be carrying an iron ball full of black powder and could kill the person thowing it, the men who had to throw the grenades had get really close to the enemy. Plus improvements in artillery shells ment that for the time being grenades went mostly by the wayside. Grenades where still probably still used in naval combat in boarding actions.

Also, did anyone notice the matchcases on the Grenadiers' crossbelts? The Grenadiers of many nations still had them, while they didn't had grenades to use them for. They were some kind of distinction, if I remember correct;

Around that time too, sometimes later, sometimes only worn on parades. I believe the Austrians kept them troughout most of the period.

i remember the days when currsier could survive two musket bullets in musket maddness

ah such wonderful times  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom