The Ultimate Introduction to Modding | Starting out? Read this!

Users who are viewing this thread

SwadianJedi said:
Oh, forgot. Would python 2.01x work?
It may, but why would you use it? :razz:
I'm not certain I've ever seen someone using Python 2.0x. You are free to try, but please tell me if it works.
Of course, I still think it would be better for you to get Python 2.7.3, given that it's the latest possible-to-use version.

sir_arvondor said:
@English_Knight:Read my post here:http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,234830.msg5618913.html#msg5618913
Just replace "Brytenwalda" with whatever mod you're moving the items from.

@Lumos:Maybe you'd like to do us all a favor and add the contents of the post in the link above to your Ultimate Introduction to Modding please?

Great tutorial! Just one question though; the helm I would like to import has filename, filename.lod1, filename.lod2, filename.lod3. Do I need to import all of these? (i.e. are they all pieces of the same item?) or do I need to only do the original?

English_Knight said:
the helm I would like to import has filename, filename.lod1, filename.lod2, filename.lod3. Do I need to import all of these? (i.e. are they all pieces of the same item?) or do I need to only do the original?
LoD (Level of Detail) meshes are meshes which replace the original one when at an appropriate distance, therefore easing the strain on the processor. Import everything.

Aha! Thank you very much :smile:

Edit:
I don't really understand what to do, actually. There are three files...do I need three separate textures for it? Also, I'm not sure which textures go with it and which don't. If the helm is called "helm", OpenBRF says it uses helm_crown.dds, but there are other texture files called "helm.dds" "helm_crown.dds" "helm_normal.dds" etc and I'm unsure which to use. Also, the extra things in the .ini file are written as "load_mod-resource = " with the name of the BRF, but the guide says "load_module_ resource.brf" . Whichi is it? :\

Lumos said:
SwadianJedi said:
Oh, forgot. Would python 2.01x work?
It may, but why would you use it? :razz:
I'm not certain I've ever seen someone using Python 2.0x. You are free to try, but please tell me if it works.
Of course, I still think it would be better for you to get Python 2.7.3, given that it's the latest possible-to-use version.
Thanks, I'll try 2.7.3

English_Knight said:
I don't really understand what to do, actually. There are three files...do I need three separate textures for it? Also, I'm not sure which textures go with it and which don't. If the helm is called "helm", OpenBRF says it uses helm_crown.dds, but there are other texture files called "helm.dds" "helm_crown.dds" "helm_normal.dds" etc and I'm unsure which to use. Also, the extra things in the .ini file are written as "load_mod-resource = " with the name of the BRF, but the guide says "load_module_ resource.brf" . Which is it? :\
In order to apply a texture to your mesh, you need three things: the mesh, a material and a texture (or a few textures). The mesh points to the material, the material points to the textures. As you can see from OpenBRF, one material, therefore one model, can have six textures! Most of the times a quality model would have 3 to 5 textures. Diffuse1 is the name of the texture. Diffuse2... I have no idea what it is :mrgreen:, although I've seen it once, I think. Mostly unused. Normal maps, also called bumpmaps, look blue/green and tell the game where to make bumps - and believe me, that gives stuff a ****load of a quality improvement. Environment maps are the reflections that weapons will have, unused on other stuff, I think, and specular maps, which are mostly black/white, tell the game where the item should shine and not. These textures could have very different names, though. If you had a sword called "new_sword_17", and a material called "new_sword_17", you could have the following textures: Diffuse - "new_swor17.dds", Bump - "my_ass_hurts.dds", Spec - "betyouwontlookhere.dds". Use OpenBRF to check for these names. In order for your item to look properly, you need all of them.
The usage of
Code:
load_module_resource
in module.ini, while technically correct, is absolutely unneeded, since
Code:
load_mod_resource
works too, and is much shorter...

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I think I was actually looking at materials, not textures. I will try again and see if I can get it to work.

Update: Damn, it didn't work. I opened the .brf file with the helm I want in it, removed all the other meshes, materials and textures (for the other helms I didn't want contained within), moved the correct textures into the textures folder, pasted the values into the itemkinds and did the load_mod_resource in the .ini file. Have I missed anything?

The only thing I can think of is that the .brf file is called "crown_helm", but the itemkinds1 entry is this

itm_maciejowski_crown Crowned_Great_Helm Crowned_Great_Helm 1  crown_helm 0  2147549196 0 8100 704643238 1.750000 100 135 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
33 34 35 37 38 51 44 45 46 54

I'm unsure really. :\

There is no relation between the .brf file's name and item entries. All models will be loaded from the .brf if you have the load_mod_resource line, which you do.
What actually is not working, if I could ask? The helmet is untextured, the mesh is missing, what?

you write like this , lets say your BRF file is called armor

load_module_resource = armor

i think load_mod_resource also works...

and looks like youre using text codes? they wont work if youre using module system , obviously you need python codes for module system

I just cannot find it in game. I thought I had done everything, then went into my game and checked the item list. I couldn't find it anywhere. Unless this method is not savegame compatible.

English_Knight said:
I just cannot find it in game. I thought I had done everything, then went into my game and checked the item list. I couldn't find it anywhere. Unless this method is not savegame compatible.
Of course it's not savegame compatible. You have to start a new game and wait for as much as two weeks in order to find it. Or something, I've passed the stage of text editing years ago. :smile:
In any case, you need to start a new game in order to see your new item.

Gambino said:
load_module_resource = armor

i think load_mod_resource also works...
Lumos said:
The usage of
Code:
load_module_resource
in module.ini, while technically correct, is absolutely unneeded, since
Code:
load_mod_resource
works too, and is much shorter...
*cough*

For someone who is relatively versed in using python, (My university's intro to OOP was in python and we got in to networking and GUIs.) is it still more beneficial to start with the idea of "tweaking" already present mechanics and code. Or could I jump right in and start writing and testing code?

There's not much difference there. The module system is extensive, so any change to it can be considered a "tweak". Just follow the coding tutorial and try to make simple changes. Most of the time you'll try to figure out how a particular feature works, so you can change and expand it.
Also, the module system is a custom language - it's not Python, but much simpler and primitive. There are 1000s of engine operations, although only about 100 are commonly used.

Lerber said:
For someone who is relatively versed in using python, (My university's intro to OOP was in python and we got in to networking and GUIs.) is it still more beneficial to start with the idea of "tweaking" already present mechanics and code. Or could I jump right in and start writing and testing code?

I think most of the time you'll just struggle to understand the logic that was going on in the developers heads.  So much of it is poorly written and not commented you just struggle to understand what something does.  (Though that can lead to some interesting results when experimenting.)

Back
Top Bottom