Progress report - version 0.8

Users who are viewing this thread

corpralbun

Regular
I know that you guys hate it when people ask for release dates and that's understandable. I would like to know how far this mod is along. I have followed it from the beginning and can't wait for this release.

Well, since the original version, for .751, was made in the Unofficial Editor, we had to start from scratch in Python to make an .808 compatible version. So we really haven't been 'porting' anything - we pretty much started over. Some of the weapon models from BaB 0.75 will be featured in version 0.8, but that's about it.

We have about 75 new models to be textured, including period buildings and scene props, period civilian clothing, quite a few new weapons, new merchant items, and several sets of uniforms for both sides (infantry, cavalry, artillery, zouaves, sharpshooters, etc). The new models are going to be a big part of what we've got to do yet, since I'm doing most of the texturing, and I don't have heaps of time to do it :smile:

The gameplay mechanics are being completely reworked - by the time we're done, it will be similar to The Last Days, with huge, named armies that spawn from certain locations at certain time periods, whose victories and defeats will affect their faction's strength. Our ideas for this are basically to have the Confederate side start off stronger, whose best chance for victory is to be very quick before the superior manpower and industry of the Union can be Mobilized. If the Union can hold out for about a year (scaled down ingame) then they will start spawning more named armies and larger, too. I'm hoping to use some of the ideas from Pirates mod to incorporate a blockade, complete with naval combat. The quests are all new too and will be much more fun - no running about trying to find 5x of whatever stupid item so and so wanted :grin: There's one where you must steal a train (you actually get to control it from the cab!) another where you must ride through a perilous mountain pass that's heavily guarded to deliver a message, and a lot of quests where you are assigned to reinforce a friendly party fighting a battle or carry ammunition to a stranded unit. When you're knocked unconscious you have a chance of being captured and taken to a prison camp, from which you may have a chance to escape - which would involve killing six sharpshooters with a bowie knife. Smart players would wait for an exchange, I think, because if you die trying to escape the game is over. There will also be a chance of death on the battlefield.

There's going to be several other features like the ability to apprehend or execute deserters, snipe from church towers, and other cool stuff I don't remember or haven't invented yet :grin:

As far as actual progress, we're probably 30-40% done with version 0.8 - which I think is acceptable since it's really a whole new mod and shares very little in common with the previous version. We have it playable on .808 but don't plan to release it because the models aren't finished, and neither are most of the new features. As of now, I'd say we will probably have a release for Mount&Blade 0.850 with most of the above mentioned features implemented, by late summer. And definitely by Christmas  :lol:

JHermes said:
There's going to be several other features like the ability to apprehend or execute deserters, snipe from church towers, and other cool stuff I don't remember or haven't invented yet :grin:

I'm very interested, could you elaborate?

And I never knew you made the original with the editor, must be a hell of a job starting from scratch.  :smile:

There's a feature to allow teleportation between entry points without reloading scenes - it was used in StoryMod at the battle for Czegny Keep - and didn't work very well - it caused the duplication bug, so a clone of the player would remain in the original location, and would often begin attacking the player in his new location. This has been fixed in the new version (.850) so that teleportation within scenes will work smoothly. This way, you can use a passage at the church door to teleport the player to the bell tower, and another passage in the tower to teleport him back down. All this can be done without reloading scenes. The downside is that it won't work properly until .850 - as of now you'll have a mad clone of yourself trying to kill you for every time you teleport.

Good to see you're posting here again, Jonathan.

Sounds good, it's worth waiting for something that sounds this awesome.

I know there's a thread for artillery, but I might as well ask in this post:

What's the progress on it? Have you figured out how to make it fire, give splash-damage, etc etc?

Thanks Nethros :grin:

The AI artillery is now fully worked out, since in .850 we will be able to kill agents within hit radius with a script, it will be no problem  to create 'explosive damage'. This was our biggest problem. I think the cannons may be NPC's because I don't know how hard it would be to add a new animation for the loaders. But we will have area of effect artillery for sure :smile:

if at some point we will be able to edit animations, its possible that we will be able to make them drivable, but we'll have to wait and see.

Glad to see that you guys are so ambitious with this mod. It seems like I will be playing this for a couple of months when it is released as your doing more than adding new weapons and armor. Good luck.

As for animations, look what MAXHARDMAN's done, he made catapults, trebuchets, seige towers, etc, etc, and the animations for them too! Once he is done modding he will releae the source code. :sad:

Wow this sounds interesting... A civil war mod... I can't wait till it's completed. Are there going to be multiple hero npc's?

There should be many hero NPC's involved in the quests, including some that are recruitable.

Despite evidence to the contrary, we are still working on this. It's just that both mkeller and I are both pretty busy with other things right now. Slowly but surely, we're getting there!

I would really like to know how you made artillery work. I need this for my mod, and it would be very much appreciated if you gave me your code.

Of course I will give credit,

and if you don't want to post in the thread, please pm me.

Thanks in advance.

Jallon, instead of spamming our topics, how about instead sending a pm to JHermes, im sure he will answer it when he has the time, but please stop spamming, do parts of your mod that still need doing, while you wait.

I am sorry Logan, I didn't know I was spamming. Whatever I asked about related to the topic. I usually consider spamming when you post something completely off-topic, that isn't relative to the thread for no reason.

And believe me, I am doing the parts of my mod that still need doing. I was just asking for the code in advance. I am working on my mod right now actually.  I am not sitting at my computer just twiddling my thumbs waiting for Jhermes code.

Back
Top Bottom