NAFNGIFT – get a period name

Users who are viewing this thread

Can someone explain to me how i can use characters like ð æ etc. in my multiplayer name, everytime i try to edit my name i get an error that i can't use those characters, yet i've seen allot of people who had those characters in their name.

Vaskr Bjárndýr said:
Can someone explain to me how i can use characters like ð æ etc. in my multiplayer name, everytime i try to edit my name i get an error that i can't use those characters, yet i've seen allot of people who had those characters in their name.

Unfortunately the Fyrningas possess the answer to this, and they are not willing to share with us the ancient knowledge of the HEX Editor.

Regín Harðraða said:
Vaskr Bjárndýr said:

Unfortunately the Fyrningas possess the answer to this, and they are not willing to share with us the ancient knowledge of the HEX Editor.
There are guides on how to do it, here on the TW forums, I'll provide a link when I get home.

FrisianDude said:
I had to replace my laptop a while ago, and thus make a new Liudulf. Liudulf thi Warde was how to spell it, right? :razz:
Then it was you whom I fought yesterday before my first connection crash. Well met, LiudulfDude.  :razz:

Raedwulf, how are you liking the no-blocking-spear change? Weren't you always going around shieldless using spears with both hands?

EDIT : I was thinking of Raedmund! Unless you're the same man?

Nah, there are two Raedas in the fyrnan folc, and I'm the one who seldom touches a spear, except for the occasional spearstab punching my chest...  :razz:

But as you asked: the kung fu blocking with wooden shafts was a bit off, and so I'm glad it was changed.
However, guess we'll have to see if the total impossibility of blocking with a spear turns out to be too extreme.

FrisianDude said:
Oh, you're Raedwulf. :grin:
Aye, the counsellor and wolf. Hope to see you more often in Vikingr.  :smile:

Right, sorry for the mistake. :smile:

As for the spear - and if this discussion is to continue it should probably be brought elsewhere - perhaps very low damage side swings might be a good inclusion, if only to symbolize the possibility of deflecting blows with a spear, through the use of chambers.

Úlfvaldr,

Good to see you again – welcome back!

Liudulf,

Simply Liudulf Ward will do, as you still have marked as one of your two "MP nicks" in your TaleWorlds forum profile.

Éadríc said:
Úlfvaldr,

Good to see you again – welcome back!
Very thanks, Éadríc!
Unfortunately, I play now very rare, is rarely on the forum, but I am pleased to see the continuation of the game/Vikingr mod.
Thanks for your works about names and http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,237519.0.html and http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,212034.0.html
I read with great interest that, as I could (with the help of Google-translator), and  was retained in the browser bookmarks. Thank you, and good luck in future works!

I very happy see mod, where is very more historical and sagas national-ethnic names!

BapKing said:
Regín Harðraða said:
Vaskr Bjárndýr said:

There are guides on how to do it, here on the TW forums, I'll provide a link when I get home.
Guide when you get home, huh?  :neutral:

:razz:

Hmm, Denegils is a tricky name. As far as I know it's only attested once, as the name of a mid-9th century abbot. Names using the name element gísl alternate between -gils, -gisl and even -gis in charters and the like, and the "standard" West Saxon form should have been *Denegísl, but -gils is much more common in proper names, not only in Latin charters but also in vernacular texts like the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, so it would seem the form -gils with methatesis had become independent from gísl. Not sure about vowel length - I'd have expected -gíls with a long i, but the Bosworth-Toller dictionary has -gils with a short vowel.

So yeah, Denegils would be an authentic, if rather uncommon name. The adjective árcræftig would be declined in this context, so the full name would be: Denegils se Árcræftiga.

hrotha said:
Hmm, Denegils is a tricky name. As far as I know it's only attested once, as the name of a mid-9th century abbot. Names using the name element gísl alternate between -gils, -gisl and even -gis in charters and the like, and the "standard" West Saxon form should have been *Denegísl, but -gils is much more common in proper names, not only in Latin charters but also in vernacular texts like the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, so it would seem the form -gils with methatesis had become independent from gísl. Not sure about vowel length - I'd have expected -gíls with a long i, but the Bosworth-Toller dictionary has -gils with a short vowel.

So yeah, Denegils would be an authentic, if rather uncommon name. The adjective árcræftig would be declined in this context, so the full name would be: Denegils se Árcræftiga.

Ok thanks

HUtH said:
I would play for Llu Cumri as Magnus, because I have no idea is it possible to somehow transcript Mściwoj(mścić:"to take vengeance"+woj/wojna:"warrior/war"= he who avenge his companions)
You could go as Catgualadr/Cadgualadr ("battle leader") or Catoc/Cadoc ("battle"), which are attested names that could have been in the list. The exact meaning of Mściwoj has no Brythonic equivalents that I can find, although an approximation might be something like *Catcun, which isn't attested as a personal name, but as a plural noun meaning "battle hounds". It would be parallel to the attested name Mailcun, modern Maelgwn, "princely hound".

Back
Top Bottom