THE BATTLE OF 8 JULY: Se Ðéodloga

Users who are viewing this thread

Éadric

Knight at Arms
Tidings reach Éadríc Eorl of the Fyrnings that William Duke of Normandy, who has long been rumoured to eye the English throne, has come to Kent and is using his devices to strengthen his grip on England. Even more, there is talk of him claiming kinship with the House of Fyrna. Greatly troubled yet steadfast, Éadríc writes to William plainly, to make clear that he has no dealings in England. Upon Williams odd and boastful answer, and after writing to Caen for inquiry, Éadríc knows this man cannot be the Duke of Normandy and decries him as a þéodloga, an arch-impostor. The man who is doubted to be William sends for men from Normandy and for mercenaries, hoping to strike Éadríc swiftly, so that he may take back his words. But Éadríc has spoken with Éadweard, his King, who trusts him and bids him to drive with strength from English ground the impostor and to take away his holdings. Stígand Archbishop of Canterbury backs his bidding and sends the wise and war-skilled bishop Bassa Bár to help Éadríc. And so the Eorl of the Fyrnings musters his own and others and rides forth to meet his foe in Kent.

eadricgretwillelm.png

Original letter of Éadríc Eorl of the Fyrnings to William Duke of Normandy
(Translation here, commentary here)

ENGLISH HOST

Éadríc Fyrninga eorl
Bassa bisceop

Fyrningas [10]
Fyrna's Folk

*Éadríc eorl*
Æþelgár
Fródwine
Gúðmund
Hróða
Rǽdmund
Wǽðulf
Wulfstán
&
Bassa bisceop
&
Anláf Bearnswelgere
(Olaf Baby Swallower)

Wealhrícingas [25]
Wealhríc's Folk
(Fir Áraig)

*Ualraig*
Cormag
Ruaidri
Somhairle
Cian
Sitric
Torcuil
Bradan
&
Lochlann
&
sixteen others

Wylfingas [7]
Wulf's Folk
(FenrisBarn)

*Bjǫrn*
Ubba
Yrminulf
Dragomir
Aela
Baleigr
Siri

Eorlingas [7]
Eorl's Folk
(Erlingar)

*Þorkell Haraldsson*
Harkon Haakonson
Sveinn Sterki
Hengwulf
Swolf Laggerson
&
Jófriðr Járnskeggjadóttir (J)
&
Svein Haakonson

Wícingas [6]
Vikings
(Víkingar)
220aa9005718.jpg

*Styrkarr Langaspjót*
Vermundr Merkismadr
Kori Thegiandi‎
Haukr Langbrók
Alfgeirr inn danski
Styrbjorn

Defena Fyrd [2]
Army of Devonshire
(Fyrd of Devonshire)
devonshire.jpg

Cenydd
Caradoc

Cantwara Fyrd [19]
Army of Kent

Saxon_banner_rescaled.png

*Heregár the Clever*
Finnólfr Hevossurmaaja
Seaxgár
Merlkir
Fulk the Bastard
Bédríc
Gádríc Horkvalth
Dante Sigbiorn
Grím
Modus Tollens
Ronan
BoB
Enki
Densetsu
Wernicke
Wulfsige
One Eye
CragHack
Cénwine

TIME AND PLACE
The event will be held on the 8th of July, at 19:00 CEST (click to see the day and hour for your own region). Please note that this day and hour may change if another time suits most players better.

All participants will be required to be present in the TeamSpeak channel to hear and follow the instructions of their captains. A microphone is not needed.

TeamSpeak server: voip.arrakis-net.com
Server: HRAFNABJÓÐR
Server password: will be announced in TeamSpeak shortly before the event starts

BATTLE MODE
It will be ordinary battle on three subsequent random grassland maps. The fourth and final battle will be in conquest mode, on the map of Essetesford. Both sides will consist of several hosts/clans; both sides will be under the supreme command of a captain, naturally with subcommand for host/clan leaders.

SIGN-UP
Signing up is not necessary but is certainly encouraged for smoother organisation. Clans are invited to sign up as clans, but asked to name and number those of their members who will come. Non-affiliated players signing up may state which host they want to fight in. The organisers of the event will retain the privilege to allocate clans and non-affiliated players to either host for balancing purpose. If any of these players wish to join a particular clan in battle, they are advised to contact the leader of that clan. They are also expected to play as Fyrdman or Pedaile.

CONTACT
For questions and/or suggestion you are free to post in this thread or send a private forum message or Steam message to Éadríc Fyrninga eorl or Moeckerkalfie, the organisers of this event.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
A big thanks to Hróða Fyrninga for his contributions, including the beautiful Old English manuscript seen above.

CONCLUSION
This battle was won by the English! Read the official account of the aftermath here.

Friends, Normans, countrymen, lend me your ears! I have arrived in England to take my rightful place, that much is true, and I have many claims that support why I am here. Yet this Saxon Eorl known too many as Eadric Fyrninga claims I am not the real Duke William of Normandy. He says in his own words that he conspired with the king himself against my cause, but Edward The Confessor is my dear cousin and he surrounds himself with noble minded and worthy Normans and surely he would not order men to kill me, so that the deceitful Eorl must indeed be acting on his own. I am overcome with sorrow at the fact that Edward, my cousin, has fallen to the vile trickery of Eadric, which clearly shows that this Eorl is a manipulative warmonger! Now I seek to make this Eorl pay for what he has done! Upon these heinous accusations my dear uncle, Mauger the archiepiscopus of Rouen, in his indignation raised the banners to defend my honour in the field to defend my rightful claim and with his blessings stand at my side the Conte Balduin de Runeville and many highborn lords of Normandy, who will not stand for these insults and have vowed to crush these unholy Saxons! So just is my cause before god and before any man that warriors from far and wide rally under my banners. Now is the time to raise your swords, spears, bows and javelin and drive these Saxons down to the underworld for dare doubting my rightful claim as the true Duke of Normandy!

NORMAN HOST

Dux Willelme li Bastarz
Malgerius Rothomagensis archiepiscopus

Li Chevaler del Bastard [10]​
The Knights of the Bastard

bastardlion.jpg
*Dux Willelme li Bastarz*
Albert del Bastard
Siggar del Bastard
Helias del Bastard
Alaric del Bastard
Serle del Bastard
Geralt del Bastard
Osbert del Bastard
Osbern del Bastard
Hamelin del Bastard

La Pedaile del Bastard [7]​
The Footsoldiers of the Bastard

bastardlion.jpg
*Drogue del Bastard*
Skvor del Bastard
Einjar del Bastard
Albert del Bastard
Gundulf del Bastard
Gozelin del Bastard
Oga del Bastard

La Cumpaignie de Runeville [7]​
The Company of Balduin de
Runeville
bannr.jpg
*Balduin*
Harold
Helias
Neel
Herbert
Richard
Ive

Vyatichi [20]​
Breton Mercenaries
d3548f1e5762.jpg
*Vyatichi_str_Claus*
Vyatichi_Varg
Vyatichi_Rauktol
Vyatichi_Miroslav
Vyatichi_Warnak
Vyatichi_Alex
Vyatichi_Gardi
Vyatichi_Grid
Vyatichi_Krech
Vyatichi_Bohun
Vyatichi_Paddy
Vyatichi_Sanitarium
Vyatichi_Gold
Vyatichi_Homesis
Vyatichi_Ataman
+​
Poor Smiley
Vyatichi_Olgert
Vyatichi_Burzumov
+​
1 or 2 extra men

Jómsvíkingar [21]​
Northern Mercenaries

sbannerd.png
*Úlfr Úlfærðsson*
Asgerða
Kolskeggr
Vagn Åkesson
Eldjarn
Jöfursteinn
Hjálmarr Finnrsson
Óleifr
Snorri
Guðbranðr
Herjolfr Einársson
Ögmundir Geirsson
Lars
Sture
Sveinn
Rognvaldr
Thorgeir Ekisson Jomsborg
Tugmundr
Sture
Varghoss Ketilsson
Drengr Folkeson

Regis Bannum [11]​
The Levy of the Archbishop
Malgerius of Rouen
normanbanner.png
*Malgerius Rothomagensis archiepiscopus*
Hipparchia
F.F.C. Fritz
Joseph
Vseslav
GoRiNiCh
Brandr
Reseller
Avgvstvs
Kogrimar
Bjornulf

The Regis Bannum is avaible to join for public players

The challenge is spoken and answered, and thus you may now choose your sides in this feud!

In the role of Malgerius Rothomagensis archiepiscopus, the pious archbishop or Rouen, I myself shall gather a norman host to defend Williams claim and title. Anyone willing to join his rightful cause will find a place among my banners and outmost glory and blessings await him who will stand in the norman ranks.

This is stupid queston but what happend to Battle of Sulcoit event? This replace it?

Þéodloga! God þé weorpe in þone déopan grund þæs hátan léges and þæs heardan léges, þú fǽcne wiht!

Ic Æscwine Fyrninga, Éadríces eorles þegn, beháte mid áðe tó feohtanne óþ þone ende for mínum eorle, mínum cyninge, Fyrnan and Engla lande.

Forþ Fyrningas!

The letter looks quite authentic, Éadríc. I did not know that a digital font of the Insular exists. I enjoy especially the rubrications. Some more ligatures would be great, but I guess, they are nearly impossible to make with a digital font. Did you attend a course about Palaeography by the way?

Anyway I love the sound of marching feet in the morning.

I may be of the north, but I will not fight for a Frenchman no matter the wealth he promises. While there has been bad blood between us northern men and the English, and while the god they share with the French may be a weak one, the English can trust me when I say that I will be honoured to shed blood in their name.

Most likely I will die in the shieldwall, but i swear on Odin and on all my vikings warriors and friends, i will take with me 10 bloody french at least.

I offer my shield, and my axe, at the service of Saxons if this please them.

My name is Finnólfr Hevossurmaaja. And i kill horses.

Hospes fori said:
The letter looks quite authentic, Éadríc. I did not know that a digital font of the Insular exists. I enjoy especially the rubrications. Some more ligatures would be great, but I guess, they are nearly impossible to make with a digital font. Did you attend a course about Palaeography by the way?

Anyway I love the sound of marching feet in the morning.

I'm glad you like it, Fródwine. But alas, I did not write it personally. I had my thain Hróða son of Hygebeorht write it down for me. I was sure to thank him for this in the head of this thread.

Signing up, sir!
Hospes fori said:
The letter looks quite authentic, Éadríc. I did not know that a digital font of the Insular exists. I enjoy especially the rubrications. Some more ligatures would be great, but I guess, they are nearly impossible to make with a digital font.
The font I used is called "Beowulf" (yeah, original, I know). It has some ligatures, mostly involving the long s, but one it sorely lacked was an eo ligature. Alas.

By the way, most of the credit should go to someone called "euphoricdesire", who created the stock texture.

Back
Top Bottom