Rome II: Total War

Users who are viewing this thread

I quite like the supply system in DeI as it makes going to war actually meaningful and requires some planning. Barbarian civs can forage off the land but winters will still mean casualties so I've had to wait for quite a few springs.
This also means that the AI can sometimes be ****ed over if you simply avoid fighting them and let their units perish to desertions and disease. I dislike how much effort goes into maintaining decent public order. Pretty much every province needs a temple to balance out any squalor and other negative bonuses. Dignitaries also seem mandatory.

Well, I learned a rather painful lesson last night. I'd finally gotten the Greek peninsula under control -Epirus was gone, Macedon was gone, public order was finally decent so hopefully no more rebellions- and I was getting ambitions to expand into the Balkans. One army headed east, towards the Black Sea, taking a couple of settlements from some barbarian faction that had been technically at war with me for ages. I sent a spy inland to scout out the other Balkan factions, looking for weaknesses. I noticed that their armies consisted of lots of levy freemen or other other basic spear units, basic swordmen, and slingers. "These guys'll be a ****ing pushover" :lol:, I thought. So, my second army advanced, trespassing through a weak neutral faction's territory, to attack a walled city held by one of these Celtic factions. I guess I didn't pay attention to the fact that they had twice my men. Also, I didn't have any catapults in that army, which was worrying, but I figured I'd manage. My troops advanced on the wall, the enemy massed behind the wall, six units of hoplites went over the wall... and none came back. As soon as they gained the top of the wall they got clobbered. My archers got on a high ground next to the wall and managed to rain arrows down on some of the defenders; I had six units of archers, and IIRC all but one had over 200 kills per unit, and yet the enemy only lost two units. And now, my army has to retreat, once again trespassing through that neutral faction's land to get home, only this time they have only two units of pikemen for infantry, and if the neutral faction decides they've had enough and attacks, my troops could be in real trouble. I guess I need to take those guys seriously next time.

Don't **** with the Celts, yo.

Finally took control of the Isles and am now in the process of conquering Gaul. Iceni joined my confederation when they had only one settlement left. Going to expand further into the Germanic tribes' territory before going south I think. Too bad most of my elite units can only be recruited from the homeland, meaning I need to ship them over and suffer penalties from sea travel.
The AI is incredibly ****e with cavalry though, which annoys me. The only reason I'm steamrolling these barbarians is because they send all their cavalry and chariots in first. Chariots won't even reach my lines as their missile defence is pretty much nonexistent, while their other cavalry units just charge straight into spears. Maybe it was just the Iceni specialTM, but it made exterminating this faction easy as hell.
I have no idea whether I should change my faction from a Tribal Confederation to something else. The political system is still kind of new to me, even though I've got it at the best possible setting right now. All I do is try to balance out my two other chieftain tribes so that neither becomes too powerful, is this correct?  :ohdear:

This should work.

After not playing this game since 2015, I have just started the Caesar in Gaul campaign as the Suebi to check the game out. Well, at least it isn't as buggy as I remember it to be and so far it's been great fun dodging and ambushing the legions.

I not have physical keyboard due to healthy issues and I play all games using on-screen keyboard(for AOE and AOE2 exists userpatches, in Rome was -ne aand -nm and in Medieval 2 editing configuration file. For Warband I using a program named Windowed Borderless Gaming) I am only player of world using on-screen keyboard

Back
Top Bottom