Arch3rs Snowy Village remake.

Snowy Village versus the remake.

• I like both.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Snowy Village sucked, I might like this one.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • The remake sucks, the original Snowy Village is good. [Post criticism on the thread please]

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Both suck.

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Updated 21-06-2012: New spawn points

I've never really liked the Native Snowy Village because of various reasons:
- I found the gameplay to be not so fun: cavalry and archer spam, bunkering up on the mountains and spending one minute to reach each other if a team does choose to charge.
- It's an ugly map, it's named 'Village' but it looks more like randomly placed houses and the environment is just dull.
- One of the master of the field flags is on the mountain and for some reason it seems to spawn there 75% of the time. It's just an ill placed MotF really.
- The little hill that's just waaay to speed and buggy as hell. Also looks weird.

So here's my attempt at a remake, hopefully I'm not the only one who hates Snowy Village (I don't believe I am) and people would actually like to test this map as a replacement for Snowy Village.
I took the key elements of Snowy Village by still having a mountain on one side and houses (with some trenches, fences, terrain elevation that that kind of stuff behind them) on the other side. In the middle it's mostly open and both teams spawn behind a small hill. From the small hill they can go behind the houses or get on the mountain. Both have near equal distances and a safe walk to either team. Also, the barn is still there because barn camping in public servers when you're in the losing team can be incredibly fun. I wouldn't dare to remove such a key feature.

Anyways, screenshots:
Overview:
75Ohq.jpg

124064806-4.jpg

Spawn 1:
124064800-4.jpg

Spawn 2:
124064796-4.jpg

This map works for the gamemodes originally supported by Snowy Village: Battle, Fight n Destroy, CTF, DM, TDM, Duel.

Terrain Code:
Code:
scn_multi_scene_9 multi_scene_9 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000000400032320003c0f300001f9e000011180000031c 
 outer_terrain_snow

Download link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12128647/Snowy_Village_remake.rar
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21878642/Snowy_Village_remake.rar

Do note: The ENL team might or might not choose to use this map in the next ENL, it's not certain yet but it could depend on positive comments from you.

Finally a replacement. I really hope people like this and we can use it instead of the original map..

The map looks interesting, although the MOTF spawns are all very close to eachother.

Submitted the map for public testing on IG, also updated it a bit, the rocks on one of the hills (a new scene prop) were buggy and allowed to rocksharking (to replace haysharking) so I fixed that area. New links in the OP.

Personally I like the original snowy village, its one of the few open maps where you can use aggressive tactics successfully. However I did download your version to have a look, I have a couple of points:

First off there are quite a few bits of strange lumpy terrain, this is going to be an absolute nightmare for cav players. The hills are so small but the gradients so steep, for an open map I don't think this sort of thing is good. It also looks pretty strange.

The second point is the flags, they are basically right on top of one another and they are all so close to the spawns that we may see an awful lot of flag camping. Both teams effectively are close enough to get to every flag pretty quick and so map control becomes pretty much irrelevant.

The large hill is mostly useless because there are no flags on it, at best you might post an archer up there but otherwise I can't see any point to it. At any rate most of the hill won't ever be used, only the side with cover facing the village.

Camping will only get you flanked though, and I prefer the flags being relatively close to each other rather than the winning of an round being a matter of luck.
Also on the original Snowy village the amount of bumps in the terrain is even worse. The area behind the houses is supposed to be cav-unfriendly, just like on the original Snowy Village.

It's look very nice, Approved it.
And its Pretty Good map for anything, Better than the original SV. Congratz.
And it should be available on IG and Wolfpack_Den.

Thanks for the positive comments and criticism so far. I hope to try it out soon in matches and public servers to see the gameplay flaws as well as exploits.

Shemaforash said:
Arch3r said:
winning of an round being a matter of luck.

It's never a matter of luck, if you're relying on the flag randomly spawning with you then your tactics are just bad
Still happens on Port Assault. Leave one archer camp the boat and try to get one of the buildings there you go: 66% to get enough of an advantage to win, but 33% chance to get ****ed if the flag spawns in the easily defendable house the enemy is camping.

Any opinions on maps that could also be remade? I'm think of minor changes to Village and Port Assault. Mostly just changing where flags spawn on Port Assault (and maybe the spawns) and changing the spawn locations on Village.
Also Ruined Fort perhaps.

Lord Rich said:
Personally I like the original snowy village, its one of the few open maps where you can use aggressive tactics successfully.

You should have seen TnT's training and official matches... just ask LCDH or some other clan who have fought us quite recently on open maps. The only map TnT finds aggressive tactics hard is snowy village. Because it's so damn slow to attack anywhere due to map being really big... Anyways, i hate snowy village's flag camping (either we lose or camp flags, lol xD).

Arch3r said:

YES for remaking Ruined Fort. It sucks, when it's a battle. It's good for dm/tdm though...

Arch3r said:
Any opinions on maps that could also be remade? I'm think of minor changes to Village and Port Assault. Mostly just changing where flags spawn on Port Assault (and maybe the spawns) and changing the spawn locations on Village.

I think Port Assault only needs the flag positions changed. The ship flag is simply annoying, makes some clans just camp at their SPAWN. Which is really boring... I always liked how Port Assault has that Defender-Attacker thing going on. Maybe switch the ship flag to the beach? (or then switch the spawns...)

sotamursu123 said:
Arch3r said:

YES for remaking Ruined Fort. It sucks, when it's a battle. It's good for dm/tdm though...
Glad someone agrees :razz:
sotamursu123 said:
Arch3r said:

I think Port Assault only needs the flag positions changed. The ship flag is simply annoying, makes some clans just camp at their SPAWN. Which is really boring... I always liked how Port Assault has that Defender-Attacker thing going on. Maybe switch the ship flag to the beach? (or then switch the spawns...)
Well, the flags would actually be fine if the attacker-spawn changed to the wall area (the unused area with the ladder and trebuchets, you probably know it). It would give the attackers less of a ****ed up position and both teams would be able to reach the boat at the same time, but that would be bad because going for just one flag while the town itself has 2 (and is no longer hard to assault as both teams start in/more near it). I wouldn't even have to touch anything else than the attacker spawnpoint.

Back
Top Bottom