Where do we go from here?

Users who are viewing this thread

OK long post. I kind of address a lot of things over the past couple of pages. Sometimes directly. Sometimes not. If you think I missed something... get angry! Kick off!

Well I want to scrap round difference either way. Under the current system, matches could be as short as 9 matches and as long as 16 (before tiebreakers). In the proposed system that changes to 8 and 18 (before tiebreakers). Arguably still a bit long but I think the fact that you don't play rounds after losing will help keep matches interesting throughout. They won't feel like a chore (as they often can, now).

That's the plan anyway.

As for actually getting them scheduled... I think it'll be ok. I'm going to start making it clearer what will be expected of teams scheduling wise, for each tournament. If they can't fulfill the expectations, that'll be that.

My current thinking is to keep the ENL going, at least for another cycle. It is useful to have something providing regular competitive matches. While I think a ladder, where teams could play at their own pace would be preferable, I don't really have the means to set something like that up. All the good ones require a dedicated site that handles all the complex formulae etc. I'm not convinced a big Div C style ladder, with all the teams in it would actually work. Division C takes time to provide an accurate sorting of teams. After 9 match weeks, that's just about done for 10-14 teams. For ~30, that would be a lot more. On top of that, you have a large amount of regular participation from teams demanded by the ladder, with all the picking and scheduling. I'll think about it though.

As for prize money, it would be attached to one person. The team would have to trust them to spread it around. I don't think that's a problem.

Lord Rich said:
Could we not just have the possibility of a draw (all 3 maps drawn) because otherwise those 2 points ahead rules would make it a very long game (potentially unending XD).
Seem to remember hearing someone say the same thing about the tiebreaker system in the NC :razz:. Though seriously, potentially unending>potentially unfair. But yes, for the ENL draws would make more sense.

Lord Rich said:
As I see it currently the minimum number of rounds played with this suggested system would be 8 (one team winning both the first two maps outright). The maximum number of rounds played would be 18 if match draws were allowed. This seems like a good number to be as that would be pretty rare, however given that teams would have to do plans for 3 maps instead of two now we can also probably expect an increased amount of time between all the sets, probably an overall increase of 50%. The result of this is that I would guess that these matches would be longer than the matches in the current rules. Even for an early win playing only 8 rounds there would be the same amount of pre match prep as for 4 sets.
I would like to start thinking about having proper rules on this. I was cautious about it before but I think a fixed system could work half decently. Perhaps something like allowing insant restarts at spawn swap (no subs) and an unplayed round at map change (i.e. you let the timer run out for one round and that constitutes the break - 5 mins).

Lord Rich said:
I think I would really need more info on the specifics of what you are suggesting but I do agree with what the others are saying, having a general league is more interesting in general than a tournament because there is more potentially to play for. If a tournament is small and fast then it will probably be fun but lack the prestige of winning something like the ENL.
A lot of people share this sentiment. However, what I think is that when it's clear the toughest competition (i.e. the best teams, not just the best old teams are all competing) then people will start taking the tournaments more seriously than the league. We might even get some very tough new teams popping up, just because there is less waiting around. I think the long term waiting perhaps keeps players tied into situations longer than they might do otherwise, since it would take so long to get to that level if they moved teams.

Lord Rich said:
We've discussed this briefly before but I still think that the way the maps themselves are set up with the two objectives is almost always going to heavily benefit one team or the other. I think it makes the maps very hard to balance and the layout of the two siege weapons often places the defender in an untenable position where they have to stop the attackers getting to two positions while also defeating the attackers. It often ended in a lot of drawn rounds in public play where the defenders couldn't stop the attackers taking out at least one of the objectives but then the attackers couldn't take the second one.
I don't expect it to be quite so stagnant in competitive play. Tactics will probably force it into a battle situation quite regularly... that's my theory anyway.

@Baron: It might be arrogance on my part but I honestly feel like I could make some sort of prize system work. As long as it wasn't too much money and the parameters of the whole thing were set out very clearly before the start, then I don't expect too many complaints. Though, as with everything else, since this is run on a forum things can easily get blown out of proportion (everyone has the same platform to shout from). Either way, I would be very interested in hearing specifics about what went wrong when you attempted a similar thing - either here or via PM.

As for certain teams having difficulty playing... I think firstly, teams could probably play a lot more than they think and secondly, well where's the cutoff? These kind of tournaments have huge merits over those which drag on for months on end. If it's the case that you genuinely can't find 8 reliable players to put in a team, then don't.

ModusTollens said:
captain lust said:
Like now, maps and factions would be predermined (the method is irrelevant but in any competitions I might run, they would probably be random). However, instead of two setups, you would have three. Closed, Mixed and Open.
Just to make sure: the method of predetermining maps and factions would always be random but the accomplishment of this randomness doesn't matter? And not: the method of predetermining maps and factions doesn't matter in general (so they could be chosen by the teams for example)?
Well in theory they could be chosen by teams. That just wouldn't be my preferred method of doing it and I don't expect that's how I'd do it for any tournament I'd run. What I might do is pick some specific setups to ensure balance and interest throughout the competition. Though only if I wasn't competing.

ModusTollens said:
But wouldn't such (regular but different in their formats) tournaments involve even more administrative work than a league (or a single ladder)? These tournaments could also be affected worse by things like roster violations and drop-outs, thinking that those won't happen because something is over fast - judging from the habit of things being dragged out way above the estimated time period even that could be doubted (and could even be supported by some empirical evidence and justification) - isn't necessarily accurate.
No, there's much more admin involved in the league than tournaments like this could ever offer up. I'm certain of that.

I'd argue that the roster situation is pretty good right now. For tournament matches like this, I can't see too many mistakes occurring... perhaps even less if there was some cash up for grabs. Perhaps less dropouts too. Though in my opinion/experience most dropouts seem to come from sustained periods of frustration if a team is underperforming in the ENL or whatever and can't do anything about it, due to the format. In a single elimination tournament, you really don't get the chance to have that. If you sign up for a two week tournament, I can't see many teams not at least playing until they lose.

ModusTollens said:
As far as a broader, so to speak, audience is concerned I don't believe a game like Warband (or WotR or M&B2) will ever be able to address a significant enough portion of gamers.
I disagree. The game has a hell of a lot going for it. For starters, it's good. Loads of games absolutely suck, even competitive ones, and that's a realisation that will slowly come about. The other thing is the melee system. I mean Starcraft 2 is good to watch because it's clear what's happening. Same with the DotA clones (if you're into that sort of thing) for the same reason. Warband has that aspect but it's also vastly different from those sort of games, since it's action based. Other action games are mainly shooters and watching those can be incredibly tedious. There just isn't much fun in seeing people randomly getting headshots. It's not really clear what's happening beyond the kills that pop up on screen.

I also predict the next Mount&Blade game will be big. Everyone must know someone who bangs on about Mount&Blade all the time (except me, I just know people who know someone who bangs on about Mount&Blade all the time) and when the new game comes out, all those people will be giving it a serious look. It will be very saturated at the time of release and as long as things are in place, ready for the boom (they weren't for Warband, it took/is taking ages for us to really get organised), I expect a pretty big scene could emerge.

ModusTollens said:
I'm opposed to the introduction of prizes or prize money (apart from them being used for advertising purposes like in the WFAS-tournament). If one needs prizes to play a game in an at least semi-serious way without being overly ambitious they're either kiddies thinking they need the 10 bucks to buy some random **** or conservative idiots who need some sort of material incentive. In both cases they can go **** themselves as far as I'm concerned.
Well there's taking matches seriously (which most teams do) and there's taking competitions seriously (which a lot of teams don't). The idea behind prizes is to try and drive teams to get to a top level and start taking competitions seriously, going into them with the intention of actually winning.

Nubijuki's suggestion is to basically run tournaments throughout a period of time, which would give you points that enable you to qualify for a final tournament at the end. I like the idea as a whole but the problems with it are twofold.

The first is that it regresses back to a system where players are once again disincentivised to form new teams (due to the persistent nature of the system). The second is that a good team could get enough points to qualify and then have nothing really to do... I don't know I just feel like it's worth experimenting with the fast tournament format first, before we start going crazy with it.

Even then, what I'd be more inclined to do is set up similarly fast tournaments but have 5 a side ones, fight and destroy etc.

Morii said:
That's alright and your points might very well turn out to be true. But its still just presumptions partly based on DeMoroz' opinion (1) of 'hey guys, we tried it, doesn't work' and partly based on your ideas (2) of what would be good for the community.

1) Sofar DeMoroz hasn't really explained what all went wrong with his tournament, doing this would already count very much toward 'looking into it' and could clarify and decide the matter right away. I'm not a supporter, I'm a supporter of making sure we know why we say yes or no to the idea.

2) Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions of where they want to see this community go; Lust wants to make it more 'professional' so that it eventually even could be considered for systems like the ESL, where you seem to not want to go in that direction or at least not that far. And that's all good, but I think I personally lean a bit more towards Lust's direction than yours and I'm interested to see which sentiment is shared more inside the community.
I agree. The only thing I disagree with is that "more 'professional'" necessarily involves prizes or prize-money, neither as far as an ESL-participation is concerned nor in general.

captain lust said:
I'd argue that the roster situation is pretty good right now. For tournament matches like this, I can't see too many mistakes occurring... perhaps even less if there was some cash up for grabs. Perhaps less dropouts too. Though in my opinion/experience most dropouts seem to come from sustained periods of frustration if a team is underperforming in the ENL or whatever and can't do anything about it, due to the format. In a single elimination tournament, you really don't get the chance to have that. If you sign up for a two week tournament, I can't see many teams not at least playing until they lose.
captain lust said:
I also predict the next Mount&Blade game will be big. Everyone must know someone who bangs on about Mount&Blade all the time (except me, I just know people who know someone who bangs on about Mount&Blade all the time) and when the new game comes out, all those people will be giving it a serious look. It will be very saturated at the time of release and as long as things are in place, ready for the boom (they weren't for Warband, it took/is taking ages for us to really get organised), I expect a pretty big scene could emerge.
I admire your optimism and philanthropy and hope you're right.

captain lust said:
Well there's taking matches seriously (which most teams do) and there's taking competitions seriously (which a lot of teams don't). The idea behind prizes is to try and drive teams to get to a top level and start taking competitions seriously, going into them with the intention of actually winning.
And that's an idea which I think is bollocks - as well as I don't see the difference between taking matches and competitions seriously. How can you take a match seriously without trying to win? And when you're taking every match seriously how one could say that they don't want to win the whole competition?

And as I argued before, taking a competition seriously and getting overly ambitious (if you pardon the euphemism) because you can win some **** are two different things (again: at least for me).

@Baron: It might be arrogance on my part but I honestly feel like I could make some sort of prize system work. As long as it wasn't too much money and the parameters of the whole thing were set out very clearly before the start, then I don't expect too many complaints. Though, as with everything else, since this is run on a forum things can easily get blown out of proportion (everyone has the same platform to shout from). Either way, I would be very interested in hearing specifics about what went wrong when you attempted a similar thing - either here or via PM.

I'll post a detailed report. As soon as I have help with English.

I agree that round difference should be scrapped.

I'm against prize money because this game is so incredibly easy to hack that encouraging it further would be silly. I also think many clans are probably run by pretty young people, not really encouraging their participation if you're making everyone pay. Additionally, many poorer teams simply won't bother participating because they know they'll never win any money. Particularly when they can actually just play in a league against teams they stand a chance against and have no risk of losing money. I don't think it's suitable for the scene or the game and I certainly don't think it's likely to attract any more people. Even more so considering the size of each team, you'd have to spread the prize money amongst around 10-20 people. It's gonna be such an irrelevant amount of money, just a complete waste of time.

In terms of league format, I think fully investigating a single ladder should be done, if it's found not to be possible without a site as you say then perhaps another format should be looked at. Perhaps merging Division A and B into a single ladder would be a viable alternative, it would be of a similar size to the Winter Cycle ENL division C and that was both competitive and exciting. Maybe also to aid mobility of newly formed strong clans, you could have a small tournament for the bottom Division teams in which the winner (or top 2/3) gets immediately put into the top divisions. This way you would avoid teams such as AE or Inquisition being in Division C when they belong above. It also gives every team a fair crack at getting promoted and doesn't rely on personal judgements.

If prize money is being considered seriously, wouldn't it be better that the prize would be something that benefits the clan as a whole, such as an own server prepaid for a period of time? Then there wouldn't be a need to divide a minimal sum of money between a lot of different players.

ModusTollens said:
And that's an idea which I think is bollocks - as well as I don't see the difference between taking matches and competitions seriously. How can you take a match seriously without trying to win? And when you're taking every match seriously how one could say that they don't want to win the whole competition?

And as I argued before, taking a competition seriously and getting overly ambitious (if you pardon the euphemism) because you can win some **** are two different things (again: at least for me).
I think there are a lot of teams who enjoy the game and like playing matches. When they play those matches, they take them seriously and they play as well as they can at that stage.

I think there are less teams who play a practice match every night, who grind out endless hours on public servers trying to be as good as they can be, in the hope that they could beat a team they would normally be expected to lose against. I'm talking in extremes though. Money won't really change the situation en masse but it might pave the way to a shift in attitude for some people.

Killfacer said:
Even more so considering the size of each team, you'd have to spread the prize money amongst around 10-20 people. It's gonna be such an irrelevant amount of money, just a complete waste of time.
Either that or teams start thinking about how many of their members they actually need.

I've always said that my tournaments should be separate from clans but when it comes to *teams* I still think most (if not all) are probably too large anyway. I look at the rosters and wonder if having 60 odd players is the best way to approach an 8vs8 competition. Infact I don't wonder. I think quite strongly that the best way to approach an 8vs8 competition is with 8 players. But that's my personal opinion.

Killfacer said:
In terms of league format, I think fully investigating a single ladder should be done, if it's found not to be possible without a site as you say then perhaps another format should be looked at.
I'm open to suggestions but honestly, I don't think it can be done without a robot.

Killfacer said:
Maybe also to aid mobility of newly formed strong clans, you could have a small tournament for the bottom Division teams in which the winner (or top 2/3) gets immediately put into the top divisions. This way you would avoid teams such as AE or Inquisition being in Division C when they belong above. It also gives every team a fair crack at getting promoted and doesn't rely on personal judgements.
I can't help but think you haven't thought this through.

Firstly, where would the relegated teams come from? What would be the incentive for any team to play in the lower divisions if this tournament would come along and render them pointless?

If (using the current situation as an example) it allowed teams to move from C to A, then Division B teams would have to be allowed to compete as well, since otherwise that would be exceptionally unfair. This whole idea has just been toyed with but honestly I think the current system of one team fastracking to Division A from C is as good as it gets with the league format. As I've said, it's something I want focus to shift away from and I think people will agree if we can make these faster tournaments a success.

axL said:
If prize money is being considered seriously, wouldn't it be better that the prize would be something that benefits the clan as a whole, such as an own server prepaid for a period of time? Then there wouldn't be a need to divide a minimal sum of money between a lot of different players.
As I've said, if prizes were to start coming into play, I'd be happy to let the designated captain decide what he/she wants to do with the money. If they want to donate it to a clan fund, that's up to them.

Either that or teams start thinking about how many of their members they actually need.

I've always said that my tournaments should be separate from clans but when it comes to *teams* I still think most (if not all) are probably too large anyway. I look at the rosters and wonder if having 60 odd players is the best way to approach an 8vs8 competition. Infact I don't wonder. I think quite strongly that the best way to approach an 8vs8 competition is with 8 players. But that's my personal opinion

That's a bad view I think, it should be up to teams to decide if they want a large or small roster in any competition, if it's large what difference does it make? If it's small then you will force teams such as IG, Syndicate, RR, CoR etc to create a 'leet' squad or possibly spilt. Let clans decide if they want a big roster and don't force them to reduce it because of prize money etc.

Lord_David said:

I've always said that my tournaments should be separate from clans but when it comes to *teams* I still think most (if not all) are probably too large anyway. I look at the rosters and wonder if having 60 odd players is the best way to approach an 8vs8 competition. Infact I don't wonder. I think quite strongly that the best way to approach an 8vs8 competition is with 8 players. But that's my personal opinion

That's a bad view I think, it should be up to teams to decide if they want a large or small roster in any competition, if it's large what difference does it make? If it's small then you will force teams such as IG, Syndicate, RR, CoR etc to create a 'leet' squad or possibly spilt. Let clans decide if they want a big roster and don't force them to reduce it because of prize money etc.
That's exactly what I am doing. The view about 8 players being ideal is entirely personal.

As for prize money... that still doesn't force a team to reduce their size. If teams weigh up the situation and decide that if they're going to win something, then it's actually not worth entering a team of 60 for an 8vs8 competition, then I think they've probably reached a reasonable conclusion. If a team thinks it's still worth entering these competitions with that sort of number of players, they still can for the time being and I don't have any immediate plans to force a maximum roster size.

Though I do think it would be expected that teams reregister all their players for each of these tournaments.

captain lust said:
Nubijuki's suggestion is to basically run tournaments throughout a period of time, which would give you points that enable you to qualify for a final tournament at the end. I like the idea as a whole but the problems with it are twofold.

The first is that it regresses back to a system where players are once again disincentivised to form new teams (due to the persistent nature of the system). The second is that a good team could get enough points to qualify and then have nothing really to do... I don't know I just feel like it's worth experimenting with the fast tournament format first, before we start going crazy with it.

Even then, what I'd be more inclined to do is set up similarly fast tournaments but have 5 a side ones, fight and destroy etc.

Hm, i don't think that team could have nothing to do when they have enough point as it's also a ladder. So another team could earn more point and become 1rst ranked team. Nevertheless, at the end of the season, even when the "great" tournament has been played, results still count for the rank of the teams. In that case, there are 2 titles : The title of the best ranked team and the title of the team winner of the "Great" tournament.
Also, qualification doesn't mean there is a certain amount of point to get, but mostly a certain rank.
For example, Div A gather 8 best teams, etc ... Like it is actually for the ENL.

And as we are not a lot of teams playing ENL, i suggest there are no team not qualified, but the main thing is to reach the div A in the "Great" Tournament. For the rest, there is still Div B and C to play for the teams who didn't reach to access in the Div A in this last "Great tournament".

Firstly, where would the relegated teams come from? What would be the incentive for any team to play in the lower divisions if this tournament would come along and render them pointless?

Because you could still get promoted by the end of the cycle if you finished 1st or 2nd. Furthermore, because people enjoy fighting competitive matches in a ladder.

If (using the current situation as an example) it allowed teams to move from C to A, then Division B teams would have to be allowed to compete as well, since otherwise that would be exceptionally unfair. This whole idea has just been toyed with but honestly I think the current system of one team fastracking to Division A from C is as good as it gets with the league format. As I've said, it's something I want focus to shift away from and I think people will agree if we can make these faster tournaments a success.

That's why I said merge A and B into one ladder, so it wouldn't matter.

1. Merge divisions A and B into one ladder (for the sake of ease i'll just call it Division 1)
2. Have a little fast track Division 2 competition in which the top 1 or 2 teams get promoted to Division 1.
3. 2 Teams promoted from Division 2 at the end of the cycle.

I've not really given it much thought so there might be gaping holes in the above suggestion. Plus im hungover.

I don't think your shift of emphasis work out because I believe that the majority will always find Leagues to be the most prestigious and alluring competition. Though I can't really argue about that because I have no evidence.

Killfacer said:
I don't think your shift of emphasis work out because I believe that the majority will always find Leagues to be the most prestigious and alluring competition. Though I can't really argue about that because I have no evidence.
All evidence from other esports tends to point to the contrary. Coverage, interest and money all revolves around big tournaments and LANs.

captain lust said:
All evidence from other esports tends to point to the contrary. Coverage, interest and money all revolves around big tournaments and LANs.

I can't see enough money being raised in a game this old with a relatively small community to do any of that.

My personal opinion, I prefer longer tournaments like they have been.

Division A in my opinion should be recognised as "The Elite"
Division B should be recognised as "The hopefuls/standard/casual/rest of the teams" league. Not ALL are super competitive, but enjoy playing matches each week etc.

I would like Division B to be bigger. Maybe to 16 teams. Though there is the problem with teams dropping out. I suggest this;
  • Teams that were in the ENL and played the whole way through are allowed to start in the ENL in Division B or A (Depending on previous cycles tables).
  • Teams that are new must provide evidence of fielding enough players for 8v8 matches (notice the plural) though I think this is still a requirement for new teams? I remember it for the Winter 2011 Cycle.
  • Teams that are new must enter at entry level/qualification. This is effectively Division C but can be split up into mini leagues with the winner (and/or runner up, depending on number of teams) join Division B.
  • Priority for places in Division B will be ordered by the ranks that they ended this cycle. This is excluding relegates and promoted teams (except for play-offs teams, as they are playing to define which league they will be in next cycle.)
  • Teams that are relegated from Division B will need to enter at entry level/qualification.
  • I personally think each team should be given a limit on the amount of postponements they are allowed to offer. I would say limit to 1 postponement every 3/4 weeks/matches.

The problem would occur that Division A would have to wait AGES for division B to finish. To include more games and make it more competitive, the Division A table can be split into 2 halves after all the games have been played, i.e: all the teams have played each other once. So the top half can fight against each other for the title and bragging rights whilst the bottom half will have to fight amongst them selves for survival. At no point can the team in 6th place go any higher than 5th, and visa versa with the top half cannot drop into the bottom half. I think the Scottish Football Premier League uses that system?

• This requires more consistency through out the cycle, purely because there are more games involved.
  • More games = not the end of the world if you lose 3 or 4.
  • Not a massive ladder to climb for newer teams who are capable of being Division A teams, purely because there is only one division to play in before jumping up to Division A. Therefore, its fairer, you don't get teams skipping a league in Division C to A whilst Division B teams who are perfectly capable might have had a tighter league and had to go via play-off, after having a stroke of bad luck in a few games. Backs up my point about more games and allow more play off spots to increase consistency and promotion and play-off spots are more deserving.

With the Naste rule proposal with having a closed map, mixed map and open map and the chances are, we're going to need more maps for there to be a variety but then if we kept to the 8 points available per map, matches will be out of 24, and it was proven that matches with 20 rounds was just too long for those getting steam-rolled or those with time difference issues.

Yes, have the 3 maps and different factions per match, but let the teams choose which TWO maps they wish to play. Each team will get an opportunity to pick a map which has been laid out on the table. That way, each team has a map which they prefer and can play to their strengths rather than worry about their weaknesses (if they have any). The match will still be out of 16, will still only take an hour or so and there's flexibility for teams.

Stuboi0 said:
Division A in my opinion should be recognised as "The Elite"
How will that ever happen if the teams in Division A are not "The Elite"?

Your approach is all wrong and I feel like you really can't see the flaws with the ENL at this stage. Making divisions bigger means EVEN longer cycles and EVEN worse mobility.

Dropouts will never be solved. The situation has been better than ever this cycle (one dropout in the top two divisions?) but you will never keep teams motivated to play to their fullest in a league system without a ****load of money stuffed into the whole thing.

You've also missed that I would propose changing the rules to 6 rounds per map (maximum of 1:cool:.

Additionally, having two maps as you suggested fails to solve a number of the issues raised about the current map/faction system. These are issues I've outlined already and won't repeat.

Killfacer said:
captain lust said:

I can't see enough money being raised in a game this old with a relatively small community to do any of that.
The conclusion I draw from the popularity of tournaments over ladders is that tournaments are just more exciting. The same principle applies to tournaments as it does to matches. The level of uncertainty needs to be maintained and that is invariably the case in tournaments but almost invariably NOT the case in leagues.

captain lust said:
The conclusion I draw from the popularity of tournaments over ladders is that tournaments are just more exciting. The same principle applies to tournaments as it does to matches. The level of uncertainty needs to be maintained and that is invariably the case in tournaments but almost invariably NOT the case in leagues.
A very intelligent point and I must confess you got me. The interesting is, while this is very true, I think this League is the most exciting, well executed and successful competition in Warband. Some people might disagree, I don't know, but I firmly believe in it.
I'd definitely vouch for a modified League structure.

Also, I'd like to say that getting rid of the Round Difference stat and consequently playing matches only until a definite winning point is reached always feels more natural in competitions. Sure, one can keep trying hard to make sure he gets as many rounds as possible, but it's never really the same when you already lost the match essentially. It also leads to very "meh" conclusions to Division winners, in all honesty.

"Best out of X" is an example of a popular and straight-forward / simple (probably why it is popular) format for deciding matches in many other games. In Warband, we could just keep the traditional sum of rounds won up until a winning point is reached.

captain lust said:
I think there are a lot of teams who enjoy the game and like playing matches. When they play those matches, they take them seriously and they play as well as they can at that stage.

I think there are less teams who play a practice match every night, who grind out endless hours on public servers trying to be as good as they can be, in the hope that they could beat a team they would normally be expected to lose against. I'm talking in extremes though.
So you want teams to not enjoy the game but train and grind to win? And in your opinion they need money to do that? So it's like a ****ty job.

Well, since you're speaking "in extremes": your vision of the future could be compared to the current situation of the few games in the ESL where a handful of top-players can live from playing a game (although that notion isn't accurate then anymore). If that's your (however improbable) vision for Mount&Blade, meaning that teenagers have to "train their skills" full-time, I certainly hope you'll fail with this side of your tournaments - as monetary prizes seem to be a step in that direction for you it's a reason more, at least for me, to be against them.

captain lust said:
Money won't really change the situation en masse but it might pave the way to a shift in attitude for some people.
And as pointed out, this change in attitude is not necessarily to the better.

Captain lust, I allways respect your work. Competitions, which were organizated by you allways gave me a lot of drive and emotions. Strict abidance of the rules brought ENL in one of the best prestigious gamer's champs. But in difference to another championships (which are holding by great software company) you held ENL on simple ardor.
This is a great result!
I'm already a mature person, and i saw many things in this life and that is why i think that the most important part in any case is choice of the way. As touching ENL i would like to see champ divided on two groups. But every team must rival on presentl rules of group "C". In middle of the cycle you should make team rotation in groups. Strong novices will have opportunity to go up.
That at once removes the biggest problem of all past cycles. no1 will be aable to hold over the match. For this reason all teams  must always be on alert.
Choice of opponent should be such as it was before, but the first opportunity to choose should have the team which won more Number of Rounds.
Penalty points must be written off from the final score of the fight. It will make the tournament more disciplined.
expansion of teams. A lot of teams have been able to put the match 12 -15 people. For each after the eighth would be to add commands to one point to the final score won the account, if opponents stipulated in advance about it.Of course the teams put forward the more players will be motivated to play a larger compositions. This will make the tournament much more diverse, many players will be able to enjoy the game by participating in person, and not from the bench. This step will lead to a significant increase in online before matches.
I also suggest that rounds played in a draw to replay their means of duels.To my mind it would be very interesting and exciting.
Olonzo's opinion

And, finally, I think national cup system not for ENL >.<

Back
Top Bottom