Native Completed [TMTAKAPCDDT] - Revived; Registration has reset/begun as of 9/04

Stay with 2? UPGRADE TO 3?! (Makes matches significantly longer, for better or worse)

• I want to keep it at 2

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I want to roll with 3

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I suggest an alternative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think the format is dumb overall

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Deafening

Sergeant Knight
minor updates to images etc. to come

TMTAKAPCDDT
Two-Man Team (AKA Pair/Couple/Duo) Dueling Tournament
tmtakapcddt.jpg

Overview:
One is the loneliest number, one is the loneliest number, one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do[uel]

Ever feel like there's not enough camaraderie in dueling? Ever think that, for all the finesse in your feints, all the accuracy in your chamber-blocking -- it's empty? You feel numb, cold inside. That existential crisis upon seeing your score, the quadruple-digit hours poured into this game. Can you be redeemed? Yes. Simply join this tournament and discover the flowery power of friendship.

Have you ever felt duels were unfair? Ever join a tournament only to realize, "I can't beat my next/first opponent. What's the ******** point." Individuals are OP. By bro'ing up, we reduce the individual's weight with regard to the duel/match's outcome. Duels become a dynamic team effort, outcomes are no longer set in stone. Dueling becomes fun again.

Make friends. Duel in a refreshing environment. Fair-er matches, yet still room for god-tier/no-lifer heroics. Everyone wins!
("OP teams will exist and subvert much of this" lalala can't hear you)

Tournament Structure:
This will be a round-robin tournament spanning exactly [a given time proportional to team entries] six weeks. (That's two matches per week, with a one week grace period.) If you cannot manage to fight each team within this period, that sucks dude.

Match Structure:
A handy step-by-step guide to completing matches properly: TMTAKAPCDDT For Dummies

Matches are in much the same format as team fencing.

Team 1212 - Composed of Player 1, Player 2
Team ABBA - Composed of Player A, Player B
Round 1: 1 vs. A; Max team score of 5
Round 2: 2 vs. B; Max team score of 10
Round 3: 1 vs. B; Max team score of 15
Round 4: 2 vs. A; Max team score of 20

Matches are fought first to 20. There are essentially four rounds. Each round increases the score cap by five. Once a team reaches the current score cap, combatants change and the next round begins. Each round is fought with a different pairing of combatants, obvs. As there is the issue of one team requiring a player to fight two rounds in a row, teams will designate one or the other as "team ABBA" before the match begins. Flip a coin, do a duel, or preferable just talk and choose as it's mostly trivial.

It's important to reiterate that each score cap applies to your overall team's score. A player can score more than 5 points in a round, if the team is behind.

Player 1 scores no points in the first round. Score is 0 - 5. In the second round, Player 2 (of the same team) wins ten consecutive duels, bringing the score to 10 - 5. It's possible, but not particularly conceivable, that a duelist could come back from a 0-19 deficit to win for the team.

More realistic, yet dramatic, scenario:
1 scores 2, A scores 5. Team 1212 - 2; Team ABBA - 5
2 scores 6, B scores 5. Team 1212 - 8; Team ABBA - 10
1 scores 7, B scores 3. Team 1212 - 15; Team ABBA - 13
2 scores 5, A scores 6. Team 1212 - 20; Team ABBA - 19

Match Settings:
- Fastest combat speed
- Duels will be fought on Arena, in the arena
- Swadian infantry; default [you may add leather boots, just 'cuz] or no armor; any melee weapon available to Swads.
- Matches must be played on NA servers -- but EU teams are free, even encouraged, to enter. No promises about ping, though.

Scheduling and Results:
You'll be free to schedule at your leisure. A post in the thread would be nice, in case I or anyone else would want to record a match.

You must post a screenshot or else have your reported scores confirmed by the other pair. Screenshots are ideal. But a hassle, yeah, whatever.
ACTUALLY: Screenshots of each round will be required for your first couple matches. Definitely a pain, but I'll be away, and it's important that matches are done correctly.

Registration Info:
Registration has closed. Poor you. reopened, **** yeah.
The deadline for registration is [tentatively] April 23, 2012.

PM me your submissions or just post them in the thread (post them in the thread).

Team submissions should go as follows:
Code:
Team name:
Team members:
Preferred member/method of contact:
You are considered co-captains, so ideally there'd be contact info for the both of you, but it's not vital.

If you cannot make/find a pair but would like to join, post or tell me and you'll be added to a list of other bro-less players. You'll have to sort it out from there yourself.

Gaius_Octavian said:
Why is the bird dead?
It's a dead bald eagle. Next to dead mosquitoes. DDT yo.

Minor updates to the main post. Better advertising! But mostly just sort of putting my foot down with regard to tournament structure.

April 23 is now the extremely tentative deadline for registration. Sort of arbitrary. It's a tidy ten days, but would also hopefully allow me to watch/supervise the first few matches just to make sure people know what they're doing. I guess I could make the deadline two weeks, but then it'd be difficult, though not impossible for me check up on matches. Then again, not like that's vital. It could also be a three-week registration period, but then the tournament would start right when I'd be unavailable -- or, not have my desktop at least -- for a few days. But whatever.

Start finding your bro, bros.

I was all excited for a 2v2 tourney, then disappointed to learn it is was pair dueling? What do you call that? TMTAKAPCDDT.

Too bad there isn't a button to switch the duelers like in Soul Calibur.

Also, duh ddt kills birds.
jk  :grin:

bajatmerc said:
I was all excited for a 2v2 tourney, then disappointed to learn it is was pair dueling? What do you call that? TMTAKAPCDDT.
Huh?

It is effectively 2v2. Uhh. I'm confused as to what you're confused about, so I can't clarify anything right now.

Oh wait, did you mean you thought it would be all four dueling simultaneously? Yeah, I was thinking that would be interesting, but it'd be difficult to set up -- or at least it wasn't something I felt like thinking about too hard.

bajatmerc said:

Too bad there isn't a button to switch the duelers like in Soul Calibur.

Also, duh ddt kills birds.
jk  :grin:

It's so simple. Here's a diagram to explain it.
killerunicorn5 said:
      ______
      |        |                                                                  (notice that the dots are players,and that team 1 is against team 2)
      |1 *---|------------------------*2
      |____|

Mr.X said:
killerunicorn5 said:
      ______
      |        |                                                                  (notice that the dots are players,and that team 1 is against team 2)
      |____|
I usually know how to let a good joke stand, but in this case I need to exclaim: Ohh, that's what Suriell was talking about earlier...

It should be mentioned that the match format here is based on the tried and true format of team fencing competitions. It's a legit method of scoring and measuring skill, regardless of how much I bull**** in the overview.

That said, there doesn't seem to be much interest so far..? Unless you're all intentionally holding back and making me feel bad. I get that finding a duel partner is pretty intimidating, like asking someone to prom.

Would there be more interest if this were an actual-team, 3v3 dueling tournament? Only problem there is that matches then become very long and reasonably more complicated, so it'd take a bit of effort to sort that out.

Deafening said:
Mr.X said:
killerunicorn5 said:
      ______
      |____|
I usually know how to let a good joke stand, but in this case I need to exclaim: Ohh, that's what Suriell was talking about earlier...

It should be mentioned that the match format here is based on the tried and true format of team fencing competitions. It's a legit method of scoring and measuring skill, regardless of how much I bull**** in the overview.

That said, there doesn't seem to be much interest so far..? Unless you're all intentionally holding back and making me feel bad. I get that finding a duel partner is pretty intimidating, like asking someone to prom.

Would there be more interest if this were an actual-team, 3v3 dueling tournament? Only problem there is that matches then become very long and reasonably more complicated, so it'd take a bit of effort to sort that out.

Bro, threads been up for a day. Chillax.

I think a simultaneous 2v2 would be a bit more able to mix things up.

Unless I'm mistaken, this format just places a team into 1v1 scenarios against another team of 2.

A true 2v2 would bring a lot of new dynamics.

Rhade said:

Unless I'm mistaken, this format just places a team into 1v1 scenarios against another team of 2.

Agreed. Honestly, enough of this dueling ****. 'sbeen done. M won, Rhade came in second, Balion beat BkS, Hubbel did something weird, people think I'm good even though I came in last, lust *****ed, etc. etc. New tourney pl0x

Rhade said:

There's definitely a lot to recommend for that. There's never been an environment to really test one's 1v2 skill -- that would effectively open one. ****, there hasn't even been a tournament focused on general, not-outnumbered team-fighting skill (far as I know at least). 2v2s would address that as well.

It's interesting and worth pursuing -- but not something I'm going to tackle. Fundamentally this is a duel tournament. The format is comparatively novel, but the underlying skill set is unchanged. There are pros and cons to this, but as I'm essentially just pushing this as an alternative to the now dry, run-through-the-motions duel tournaments, there're mostly just pros. A more intrepid TO than I would do well to take notes about all of this though.

... Huh, fell asleep and forgot to post. My sleep schedule is all messed up.

Mr.X said:
Agreed. Honestly, enough of this dueling ****. 'sbeen done. M won, Rhade came in second, Balion beat BkS, Hubbel did something weird, people think I'm good even though I came in last, lust *****ed, etc. etc. New tourney pl0x
I'm hoping this to be a fresh yet accessible spin on things. But if someone absolutely doesn't like/want dueling, then nah, this won't be the tournament for them. Oh well.

Updates: Added the best team so far! Uni added to available bachelor's list, at least, I think you wanted to be added, right. Fehnor, I can't tell if that's just an idle question, so I'll hold off on adding you there.

MUAMNNTFTMTAKAPCDDTWIITWI added. Team name remains unofficial until an accompanying graphical representation is provided.

Back
Top Bottom