Native Completed Risk - Warband Campaign Proposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain folms

Grandmaster Knight
scaled.php
Introduction:
'Risk' is a strategy board game established in the 1950s by Albert Lamorisse and produced by Parker Brothers. Normally the map of 'Risk' is a political version of Earth divided into forty-two territories, which are grouped into six continents. The aim of this logically constructed game is to occupy, and control all six continents or eliminate all excising opponents. Players control armies with which they attempt to capture territories from other players. Read full rules by clicking here.

'Risk - Warband Campaign' is based on the board rules of 'Risk' itself, however they will be compatible with Warband. The main idea of creating this long lasting tournament is to establish a different approach to Warband for different teams. 'Risk' mode will feature as World Conquest without any missions or cards. All matches will be played on Battle. This tournament was inspired by EU Online Compaign.

Rules & Regulations:

Team's Turn
As in the board game each team must complete three very important stages: adding or replacing players, attacking, and fortifying.

Each team must place players wisely, as the minimum of players in each province is one. The number of armies in each province may differ due to the amount of territories owned. To find out the maximum amount of players in each province team leader divides the total number of players by three and rounds it up to the nearest integer. If this result is less than three, round up to three armies.

When it is team's turn to attack, teams are only allowed to attack territories that are adjacent or connected by a sea-lane to their own province. A battle's outcome is decided by the amount of players on each team. If Team A has six players and Team B has three players, Team A must must adjust its size to three players in a match, this will make the game more fair; teams are allowed substitute players. If an attacking team wins, they must occupy the province with at least one player as a guard until the next turn. Other teams are not allowed to attack newly occupied province until the next match week. Each team is allowed to attack another province only once before handing the turn, this is a slightly rule change from the original Risk game. If a team have lost all provinces they occupied, they will be eliminated from the tournament and automatically placed as Mercenaries for other teams.

When teams are finished attacking provinces, they can fortify their squads if necessary. As I mentioned before teams are not allowed to touch a newly occupied province until a next match week, this means that the team that has occupied a new settlement is not allowed to fortify it before the next turn. They are allowed to swap players from one province to another using fortifying methods at the time of their turn.

All battle results must be submitted in this thread with a suitable evidence (e.g. screenshot or a video). However, this measures will be taken care of by the referee, that will be present in a match. If there won't be any clear evidence the score of the specific period will not be added to the final result. After results have been submitted, an Adjudicator will check player IDs and confirm the final result.

Strategy

In order to achieve a successful strategy teams might want to, watch their borders for buildups of players that could defend an upcoming attack, and teams should build up armies on their own borders for better defense. Teams can also use strategy like 'Turtle'. Turtle is when a team is aiming to become powerful and strong in its forces. They might continue building up armies, trainings members etc towards the latest stages of the campaign where they come out and attack the weakest team.

Alliances and Agreements will be allowed in this campaign. Alliances might be formed by two teams to attack and destroy the strongest opponent. However, you need to be careful when agreeing to alliance because they are often broken. Also teams might agree on an agreement of peace. This means that those two teams will not attack each others provinces.

Joining

Each team must have an appropriate name with a consistent tag. For instance not BK_NOoOb_folms or BK_HoRe_folms, but BK_folms or BK_rank_folms if necessary. Any medieval kingdom name will be accepted. Each team must have an active leader with minimum two co-leaders, moreover each team must choose representatives for each region. Each team must include a minimum of 6 players on their roster, and a maximum of 12 players to avoid collision between big groups. Each team must have a custom banner to insure more realistic atmosphere in this tournament. Correspondingly

Each team is allowed to select one preferred faction to play throughout the tournament. Mercenaries are accepted, however they must negotiate with participating team within the thread boarders to provide suitable evidence of becoming a mercenary for a specific team. Advertisement are also available. Spying is not allowed. All game matches will be associated with ID checking to avoid any confusion, and secure maximum trust between teams.
Application Form said:
Team's Name (Full):
Team's Tag:
Team's Banner:
Team's Roster (Full roster, including IDs):
Team's Leader:
Team's 2 co-leaders:
Team's Contacts (Steam IDs, X-Fire ID or TaleWorlds profile):
Team's preferred faction:
Did you read, understand and agree to the rules that are featured on the thread:
Can you promise to follow those rules:
Can you promise that your team will be responsible for any carried out actions:
Application Form Mercenary said:
Your in-game name:
Your Steam ID:
Your preferred faction:
Did you read, understand and agree to the rules that are featured on the thread:
Can you promise to follow those rules:
Can you promise that you will be responsible for any carried out actions:

Arranging Battles

Province representatives must agree on dates, time and server that they are going to play on. If province representatives fail to agree on the conditions of the match the referee or adjudicator will have to step in and decide those rules on his own. Maps and factions will be determined by the province's location. For instance Province A that is controlled by Team A controls map Ruins with faction Nords. Also team leader is allowed to choose any players from his roster to represent his team in a specific battle.

Match Rules
  • Combat Speed: Medium, Friendly Fire: 100% (melee and ranged), Round Duration: 6 minutes, Game type: Battle, Gold: All set to 100%, Respawn Time : 10 sec , Spectator Settings: Locked to team members view. No bots and no polls. No other settings enabled which might interfere with game play (auto-killing horses, auto-kicking for team-kills etc.)
  • Matches will include the best our of 13 rounds, played over one map. No faction or Spawns switching
  • Rounds resulting in a draw allowed to be replayed.
  • Matches will with no class or equipment restrictions
  • Teams must agree to play the full match on one server
  • Special versions of the Warband maps were made for the European Native League, and will be used for this tournament. They will fix map bugs and remove ways to glitch, removing the problem of glitches entirely. A log of the changes made to the maps will be kept and the maps will be made publicly available.
  • Custom maps also created for the European Native League will also be used in this tournament.
  • Players should play under the given ID by the leader, if roster violation is occurred then that team will loose points depending on the amount of rounds that that players played.
  • Each map must be reset, after 4 rounds, when the teams switch spawns only.
  • Teams must play with a referee or an adjudicator to make sure that everything is going smoothly.
  • If a team cannot make up the amount they have placed to guard the province, then match will be postponed to a next available week.
  • A break between maps is officially sanctioned by the rules and if either team requests one, the other team must let them have it. This break is allowed to continue for five minutes, if it extends past this, either team may request that the match re-commence. A team which refuses to begin after these fives minutes will face sanctions. Any break longer than five minutes is purely a courtesy from one team to the other. If you feel that you're likely to have problems with this rule in your match, you are advised to request an event admin to referee the match.
  • A two-minute break between four-round sets for substitutions and such is officially sanctioned by the rules and if either team requests one, the other team must let them have it. This break is allowed to continue for two minutes, if it extends past this, either team may request that the match re-commence. A team which refuses to begin after these two minutes will face sanctions. Any break longer than five minutes is purely a courtesy from one team to the other. If you feel that you're likely to have problems with this rule in your match, you are advised to request an event admin to referee the match.

Maps & Factions
  • Village
  • Nord Town
  • Ruins
  • Snowy Village
  • Field by the River
  • San'di'boush
  • Frosty Battle
  • Vendetta
  • Reveran Village
  • Port Assault
Factions
  • Kingdom of Swadia
  • Kingdom of Nords
  • Kingdom of Vaegirs
  • Kingdom of Rhodoks
  • Khergit Khanate
  • Sarranid Sultanate

Campaign Map

CampaignMap.jpg

Support Signatures

scaled.php

Code:
[IMG]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg641/scaled.php?server=641&filename=folm5.png&res=medium[/IMG]

scaled.php

Code:
[IMG]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg812/scaled.php?server=812&filename=titrr10.png&res=landing[/IMG]

scaled.php

Code:
[IMG]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg252/scaled.php?server=252&filename=titrr9.png&res=landing[/IMG]

Credits

Einherjar Corey|AE Alexander|AE Azan|DR captain lust|Tem Aury for helping me to create the rules.
Einherjar Broomstick|RNGD Tomy44 for their outstanding artwork.
European Native League for ideas and maps.

A few points:

1.)Firstly 20 round matches are generally too long in my opinion, 16 rounds is better for a warband game as it comes to usually an hour to an hour and a half at most. The 20 round ones can sometimes stretch for 2 hours. 16 Round battles also make snowballing with gold less prevalent in case a team wins repeatedly.

2.)The second thing I would mention is that if you are going to be having teams being outnumbered in a particular province then there is no point having faction switching and playing two maps, any balancing in that regard will be massively overwhelmed by the differences in player number. So either make player number equal for both teams and keep the faction switching etc... or get rid of the faction switching entirely.

If you did make it so that player number was equal then you could always make it so that if a team is outnumbered they have to win more rounds in the battle than their opponent in order to win the battle. So for instance if a team is outnumbered 2:1 in number of battalions they would have to win twice as many rounds as their opponent.

I would actually be fine with either system, I have no problem playing unbalanced games at a tactical level as long as the strategic level is balanced. It might actually be better just to give each team a faction and give each province a map to play on, you could keep the battles pretty small and quick then which would allow for multiple attacks in a single move as per usual risk rules.

3.)Next I would enquire as to whether you are suggesting that specific players be assigned for defence of a province, if so it is going to make it really hard to get matches arranged since you won't be drawing from a pool of players which has some leeway for when people are not available, instead you will be requiring people specifically to be available over the period of a week and it just won't happen in some cases.

4.)What Risk game mode will we be playing? World Conquest, Capital Risk, or Missions? Also will we be playing with victory cards to gain additional reinforcements and if so what rules will we be playing in regards to those (recycling cards, exponential reinforcements etc...)?

5.)Going back to a subject from point 2, will there be any support for making multiple attacks in a single 'campaign' turn. If not I fear this tournament is going to last a very long time and may well be a bit grindy as teams will only be able to crawl around the map.

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, all the criticism is done now :razz:, I actually do really like the idea of this as a whole and hope it can be succesfull. If you could just clarify some of the stuff I mentioned that would be great. I really like both Risk and Warband ^^.

Thank you for your feedback. Let me explain.

1.) I have chosen 20 rounds altogether mainly because I think the majority of clans prefer it. I have looked through the pass thread in ENL discussions and made up my mind. Besides you cannot predict the size of team in a match, match could be very intense and long lasting, or small and fast temper. However, I do not mind changing the rule as long as more people agree with you.

2.) I haven't though about increasing the number of rounds if the team is outnumbered. I think you came up with a great idea, as long as people stick to it I will introduce it. However, I do not fully understand the criticism about factions. Teams are allowed to choose two factions at the begging of the tournament to play throughout the game. How is switching factions will increase chances of a team that outnumbers of winning?

3.) I explained the same thing to Alexander as well, sorry forgot to include it in the thread. After the provinces are assigned to different teams, each team must provide at least 5 players with IDs for a specific province. If later in the tournament a specific team will not have enough players, for instance, on Province A but have more than 5 on Province B they are allowed to move players on substitution days to keep better the balance.

4.) Cards will not be used in this tournament. Risk will be in World Conquest mode.

5.)  True this may cause the tournament to be very long. I might be able to increase up - to 2 or 3 matches a week if everyone else agrees.

In your rules you state:

Matches will by default be 20 rounds long, played over two maps. Each map will be 10 rounds, with teams and Factions swapping at a restart, after 5 rounds.

and also:

Maps and factions will be determined by the province's location. For instance Province A that is controlled by Team A controls map Ruins with factions Nords or Vaegirs.

Those two rule statements seem to be at odds with each other. The former suggests that a battle will be fought over two maps but the latter that it will be fought on one map.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As to my concerns about faction switching basically I am looking at it like this. If you are allowing for different numbers of players on a side then that will be far more unfair than just simply playing a map from one factions side.

The whole point of playing an open AND a closed map and then also swapping factions is to try and create a balanced match which favours no team. However if you are allowing for differences in team size due to the moves played on the Risk board then why bother with that stuff as you are already accepting that individual battles will be unbalanced.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Also in regards to my suggestion about round wins, I wasn't saying that more rounds would be played but rather that more rounds must be won for an outnumbered team. So if team A has 5 battalions and team B has 10 battalions in a battle for a province, team A must win more than 66% of the rounds for a win while team B only has to win more than 33% of the rounds.

So a score of 14-6 in favour of team A would be a win for them. However a score of 12-8 would be a loss for team A because they would need at least 13 rounds (over 66%) to win.

Ah my mistake there, please forgive me...late nights  :roll:

I understand the point system you are proposing, and I think it might even work. I will take that into considerations.

About the maps, I would prefer to keep two factions. However, if majority will decided otherwise it will be changed.

Thank you for you suggestions :razz:

Hm this sounds intresting :grin:

I hope you will make a map to show what clans got what provinces? ^^

This looks promising. Will teams be forced to be of one clan, or can I, for instance, make a own team, even though Einherjar is also making a own team?

In a tournament like this, what you really have to do is make a lot of decisions early on regarding balance and how you want the tournament to turn out. On that note, perhaps it's worth changing your wording to call it a "campaign" rather than a "tournament".

Firstly, do you want to have a large map with 20 teams or would you rather have 4 that engage in a more intense battle? Perhaps somewhere in between? Either way, you really need to start catering the rules to your goals. If, for example, you wanted 4 teams then it's probably worth having written applications, only accepting proven teams with large rosters. You could then up the match frequency and expect that teams play 2 or 3 matches a week (although in that case, I would recommend making matches less than 16 rounds. I recommend shortening them from 20 anyway). If however, you wanted lots of teams, say 20, then you're going to have to make applications more open and slacken the requirements a little. It's also problably not viable to expect 20 teams to all play 2 matches a week. Nor is it viable to expect yourself to be able to arrange that, given the complex nature of a strategy board game based campaign.

The last EU campaign was based around diplomacy, which allowed turns to be made simultaneously and even then there were often deadline shifts and problems getting orders (despite it being very well run for the most part). With RISK, getting teams to take turns in order sounds incredibly difficult and whilst possible, I think waiting for 20 teams to wait for one another to complete their moves in order would be incredibly tiring. So it's something to bear in mind if you're planning to run greater numbers.

The next important balance decision you need to make is between the in-game battles and the grand strategy. Again, this will involve a number of small decisions that have a very large effect overall. Right now, it's not quite clear but it seems that you're planning to have a player imbalance based on the number of units being brought to a battle. That's going to shift the balance towards the grand strategy, much more than the game. Now that's not a problem per se, however battles with 2 vs 14 aren't going to much fun. Especially if they're all you've played for a month and you need to play it for 20 rounds each time :lol:. There are a number of ways to solve the issue (for example scaling the impact that each unit has and declaring a minimum and maximum number that can be present on one side for any given battle) and I'm sure you can come up with something but it needs addressing in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck with it and once everything's ironed out, this could be a really great. I've been waiting for another campaign style tournament since the old one.

Looks seriously, seriously interesting. Funnily enough, I actually dreamed about running something like this.

Would an NA team work? I'm looking at getting one together.

Cool stuff folms!
I've had some fun with RISK in various games, hope this will be just as fun.  :smile:

Broomstick said:
This looks promising. Will teams be forced to be of one clan, or can I, for instance, make a own team, even though Einherjar is also making a own team?
You can make a team with any player in it. Clans are not present at this game.

@captain lust: I see what you are trying to say here. I think there should be more teams with smaller number of players, because it gives the leaders less responsibility of getting the IDs, sorting out tactics with a lot of players. Moreover, I think that if there will be a large number of teams applying then I might put a limit, and teams will merge together. Correspondingly, I agree on this note:
I think waiting for 20 teams to wait for one another to complete their moves in order would be incredibly tiring.
I might be able to find more people to help me, it is not the end of the world though :smile:

Eternal said:
Looks seriously, seriously interesting. Funnily enough, I actually dreamed about running something like this.

Would an NA team work? I'm looking at getting one together.
Hmmm, I am not sure how this will work. Time difference and ping, I do not want to create home/away situation. However, if you agree to ping and playing at European servers all the time, and you will make it in time I see no reason why not.

Few changes:
- Name has been changed to Risk - Warband Campaign
- Limit of players in the team have been added

captain folms said:
I think waiting for 20 teams to wait for one another to complete their moves in order would be incredibly tiring.
I might be able to find more people to help me, it is not the end of the world though :smile:
Well it's not so much a case of workload. It's just that everything could be held up by one team. If all teams submit simultaneously (as in diplomacy) then any team failing to submit moves will either face the consequences of remaining stationary or could be sanctioned in some way. If teams have to take turns in order then everything could be held up by one team. Infact... I don't even see how this could work at all if I'm honest.

Surely in RISK, all the attacks and moves have to be done completely separately and taken in turn. This could take a week or two for each team. Meaning that any given team might only get one or two moves in an entire year...

I think the specifics of how it's going to work on a practical level need some serious thought. If it turns out that RISK isn't a viable platform for the campaign, then I think it's definitely worth looking at the EU Campaign for some inspiration. A lot of a good work has been done there already and it has the benefit of testing. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=107429.0

captain lust said:
captain folms said:
Well it's not so much a case of workload. It's just that everything could be held up by one team. If all teams submit simultaneously (as in diplomacy) then any team failing to submit moves will either face the consequences of remaining stationary or could be sanctioned in some way. If teams have to take turns in order then everything could be held up by one team. Infact... I don't even see how this could work at all if I'm honest.

Surely in RISK, all the attacks and moves have to be done completely separately and taken in turn. This could take a week or two for each team. Meaning that any given team might only get one or two moves in an entire year...

I think the specifics of how it's going to work on a practical level need some serious thought. If it turns out that RISK isn't a viable platform for the campaign, then I think it's definitely worth looking at the EU Campaign for some inspiration. A lot of a good work has been done there already and it has the benefit of testing. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=107429.0

I think you misunderstood. Turns will be decided spontaneously in the first week. For instance:

Teams:

-Team A
-Team B
- Team C
- Team D

Spontaneous turns:

-Team C (Picks the opponent first)
-Team B
-Team D
-Team A

On the 2nd match week Team B will pick first and Team C last, and so on.

Good and strong idea folms :smile:
However Risk is very hard, and very intence in term of strategy and tactics, in order to be sucessful you might need to consider every small detain in your campagn to avoid further confusion.

I've got a question, how many provinces will the map have? If it's a small number, then I'd suggest reducing the player minimum on every team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom