Which type of plate armour would you like to have?

Which types of plate armour would you prefer to see in the next version of M&B?

• 1. Transitional harness: Used circa 1375-1400 AD

Votes: 61 21.9%
  • 2. Early 15th century plate armour (“Alwite armour”)

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • 3. Milanese armour

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 4. German “Gothic” armour

Votes: 78 28.1%
  • 5. English armour

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 6. “Krug” style cuirass

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • 7. Renaissance armour

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • 8. Maximilian armour

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • 9. Others, Japanese, Fantasy, Graeco-Roman, Indo-Persian etc

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I'd agree with certain plate components being available as standard armor, but full suits should both increase defence and reduce encumbrance. Building a full suit by collecting various pieces from different suits still seems like it wouldn't work, at least if you wanted the pieces to fit together and articulate properly. Looting some gauntlets and a breastplate is another matter.

The Pope said:
I'd agree with certain plate components being available as standard armor, but full suits should both increase defence and reduce encumbrance. Building a full suit by collecting various pieces from different suits still seems like it wouldn't work, at least if you wanted the pieces to fit together and articulate properly. Looting some gauntlets and a breastplate is another matter.

You have a good point there. So lower grade plate armour could be bought (or looted) in separate pieces, but high quality, top grade full plate harnesses could only be made to measure?

The renaissance armour looks pretty nice, but as Aqtai stated, it wouldn't quite fit into the game. So, I go for the gothic armour.

this way you cna have like cuirbolli arms if your out of money after bying a plate cuirass, thats why the seperate armor could do. also, it is historically acurate to a certain degree, such as mercenary troops taking whatever armor they can salvage, or men at arms. anyway just a thought.

i voted for transitional because there were just to many to pick from that i wanted so i just chose one which i wud like to see my character in. German gothic would have been my second.

Transitional feels more in sync with the game, if you go the later ones you may as well go whole hog and shove in hand gonnes and pikes galore (which without formations would be gay) although Krug for steppes and the Russian for dark riders would be funky.

I've found some rather cool Italian wall paintings from Trento dated to 1440 AD. They show men-at-arms wearing Milanese style armour, armets, barbutas and bascinets:

Orion said:
Transitional seems like it would fit in the most with the current time period in M&B (debatable), and I'm fond of breastplates.

I second that  :smile:

I think that since the vaegirs and swadians arent based on real races the armour should be a mix of everything or totally made up

Flash_Knight said:
I think that since the vaegirs and swadians arent based on real races the armour should be a mix of everything or totally made up

Who says they aren't? I'm definitely seeing some Northern (Russian, Nordic, etc.) influence with the Vaegirs, while Swadians are standard western europeans (French, English, Spanish).

Well thats how i see it and i hope the direction continues

ArabArcher35 said:
Flash_Knight said:

Who says they aren't? I'm definitely seeing some Northern (Russian, Nordic, etc.) influence with the Vaegirs, while Swadians are standard western europeans (French, English, Spanish).

The thing is Russian armour changed and evolved over time and there was diversity within Russia.

Prior to the 13th century the strongest outside influences on Rus arms and armour were the Byzantines and the Norse, although there was some Central Asian influences too. From the early 14th century Muscovite arms and armour beccame very strongly influenced by Turco-Perisan armour; 16th century Muscovite zertsalo type cuirasses for example appear to be based on Turkish and Persian krugs. The Muscovites also used Turkish style chichak helmets and Persian style bazuband vambraces, as well as various other types of mail and plate armour such as the yushman, based on the Middle-eastern mail-and-plate jawshan, and the bekhterets (based on the Persian zireh Baktar). Rus armour from Novgorod on the other hand had stronger Western European influences.

Non of that stuff up there is exact as I haven't got my books to hand, but I think you get the gist of it. :smile:

Vaegir armour is definetly quite Russian-looking (furs) and does contain some Nordic (chain mail/ lamellar cuirass) and Swadian is very European indeed, i.e. very sophisticated plate mail and extremely good-quality helmets.

The_Invincible_Knight said:
Vaegir armour is definetly quite Russian-looking (furs) and does contain some Nordic (chain mail/ lamellar cuirass) and Swadian is very European indeed, i.e. very sophisticated plate mail and extremely good-quality helmets.

Except that the Rus also made extensive use of both mail (i.e. "chain mail") and lamellar armour. :smile:

So the main influence on Vaegir armour is Rus, and I'm all for making the Vaegirs even more Rus-like.

On an unrelated subject I've just come across a rather good picture of the "Avant armour". This is a suit of Milanese armour now in the Kelvingrove museum in Glasgow, it's missing the tassets and its original helmet (it probably was worn with an armet), otherwise it's a very fine armour. Click on the link please:
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/782BAFCD-6A4C-4A40-93DF-B595FECBE98C/0/E193965e.jpg

Aqtai said:
The_Invincible_Knight said:

Except that the Rus also made extensive use of both mail (i.e. "chain mail") and lamellar armour. :smile:

So the main influence on Vaegir armour is Rus, and I'm all for making the Vaegirs even more Rus-like.

It looks more like mongol/middle Asia for me...

Back
Top Bottom