A Disturbing Trend

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people spend over a year on something, they deserve recognition, obv. this deserves to be a whole game that is worthly of being sepreated and praised. I see a lot of things different from native, like the upper stab attack and the better grafics and darker setting which fits the game better.
To continue, the WFAS game has brought a ton of players which tells us, hundreds of people will continue from MM  into MBNW, plus people who buy the game out of curiosity, and the people will also see the amazing grafics.
If people want to play, they will pay.

Rigadoon said:
Dyllionaire is right, Vincenzo and the other MM devs should not get anything from dedicating tons and tons of personal time to a mod made for the enjoyment of others.  :roll:

They made it, if they wish to sell it, they have the right to.
To be clear, Vince & the FSE crew have the right to sell it because Taleworlds Entertainment gave them that right. It did not intrinsically come from the amount of time poured into the project or the quality of work they've produced. Without that permission, they'd be dedicating tons and tons of their personal time to a mod made for the enjoyment of others that is still a derivative work of a game owned by another and they would have no 'right' to sell it, no matter how much they wish it, just like the other modder schlubs in this community or any other community.

There was a business decision made. And it is such decisions concerning the scale/content of what is being sold in the gaming industry that the OP is trying to address, not whether or not Vincenzo et al. have necessarily made a quality product here. This seems to be missed in the exchange above...and similar exchanges on the topic elsewhere.

TheDyllionaire said:
It would seem that so many of these pieces of DLC, especially the case with series such as the Total War franchise, are simply little pieces of content that should have been included in the original game and that were are getting nickel-and-dimed for. Our $____ game is being bumped up by $___ pieces of DLC. Is it not our right as the purchaser of the game to receive ALL of the game? What happened to the days when patches introduced new content, rather than being forced to buy it?
Expansions nowadays are so often standalone games, charging the gamer the full price of the game which often uses the same mechanics, engine, models, etc. If we are not receiving the wealth of content that would arrive in a full game, why should we have to purchase it like a full game? When a company releases an expansion, it should be a sound addition to the original game, with enough content to justify its price and not just be something to introduce content present in the original game.
1. There is a time factor, which takes into account both the time put into development (especially when you are working with a company like Taleworlds), and the restlessness of the game's/mod's fans. So, Developers are more inclined, if not forced, to release their production in parts to both break up and manage developing time and satisfy fans.

2. Large scale projects like NW need more than just time to produce. There comes the software to create the content, and even the hardware to hold the software. And in the production of NW, the devs had actual voice actors and music recordings to make the game become as immersive as possible. These things are not free; far from it. If developers of a DLC like this want to support it and themselves during the process, they need money. 10 dollars is the least they could ask us for their hard work and time put into this DLC. They are doing it for us, because we like the Napoleonic era, because we enjoy Mount and Blade, and because we care about it. Let's show Vince, Beaver, Olafson, and all the other devs that we still do.

Frederickson said:
JankoMega said:
My conclusion:
Vincenzo and all other developers from Flying Squirrel Entertainment have done a lot of work; that was already seen over the past year.So, is it pretty stupid not to accept the money offered by Warband devs? -Yes, it is.Imagine the endless time they spent on everything which you want in-game.Duh, you got the point. As some person above said that Vince isn't standing nearby, forcing you to buy it- he is totally right.If you don't want to buy it, do not. I, and many,many more people will buy this DLC, and will enjoy it, while you (not saying directly to you) will watch linebattle videos on Youtube...and then think about it.
Janko out.

Is it weird i find the cat in your avatar sexy?...
JankoMega said:
Sir, no, sir. :grin:
..No comment.

Caba`drin said:
Rigadoon said:
Dyllionaire is right, Vincenzo and the other MM devs should not get anything from dedicating tons and tons of personal time to a mod made for the enjoyment of others.  :roll:

To be clear, Vince & the FSE crew have the right to sell it because Taleworlds Entertainment gave them that right. It did not intrinsically come from the amount of time poured into the project or the quality of work they've produced. Without that permission, they'd be dedicating tons and tons of their personal time to a mod made for the enjoyment of others that is still a derivative work of a game owned by another and they would have no 'right' to sell it, no matter how much they wish it, just like the other modder schlubs in this community or any other community.

There was a business decision made about the scale/content of what is being sold in the gaming industry that the OP is trying to address, not whether or not Vincenzo et al. have necessarily made a quality product here. This seems to be missed in the exchange above...and similar exchanges on the topic elsewhere.
Well forgive me for saying that what FSE is delivering is actually worth being called DLC or whatever as oposed to what those "other" companies in the gaming industry are doing. (Like releasing unfinished games for 50 bucks and promising to "patch it up" later.
or add 5 new maps and demand 15 bucks :/
Or do like THQ, promise a patch for Dawn of War 2 for vehicle wrecks and only give it two expansions later. (both costing 30)
I could probably go on, and I really think that this discussion isn't worth it for what FSE is giving.

Vince also said they would (prob) patch up MMRUSSIA3 later to give people that can't buy the game also something "new/improved" to play.

Caba`drin said:
Rigadoon said:

There was a business decision made. And it is such decisions concerning the scale/content of what is being sold in the gaming industry that the OP is trying to address, not whether or not Vincenzo et al. have necessarily made a quality product here. This seems to be missed in the exchange above...and similar exchanges on the topic elsewhere.
Ah, thanks for that.

This is the clear way forward. If they kept it as a simple mod, they wouldn't gain access to the engine which they have now, and features wouldn't be able to be improved much past MM Russia's level.. But as far as I know, access to the engine can't be gotten without partnering up with Taleworlds to make a new M&B product like FSE or SiCH.

Aldemar said:
My point of view

First moment i hear that it will be cost money = pissed  :evil: :evil:

After playing 20 min the beta = AWSOME!!!1111111111111 it's worth it!!!!111  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

aldemar

aldemar. you luck bastard. id give vince my virginity if it meant i got to play the beta...  :wink:

We SHOULD help the developers by buying the DLC, We SHOULD thank them for the game *With our money*

We're enjoying MM thanks to their work, and their dedication to what was once a mod. I don't understand why people are complaining to so much. We should want to support the developers, not complain!

I will note that the NW DLC seems to include features from WFAS, eg, the command system of rank depth and firing orders.
As said above, this comes only because of access to the engine. Without this, there would be no overhead stab or no doubt many other features.

What I'm truly looking forward to is playing a version of Mount & Blade with the features from both Warband and WFaS.
The best of both worlds.

Rigadoon said:

It wasn't just time that went into the project you know. Quite a bit of money was spent in order to produce something that the team felt embodied their wishes for the game.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. As has already been stated, the team required access to the engine and some of TW resources in order to implement some of the features such as sounds being attached to sceneobj(?) such as musicians and cannonballs etc.

After having played the game I can say that whatever they end up charging for it will be worth it. You say there are barely any new features when in fact there are a ton of new features.

The engine was reworked and the graphics are much better, there is sooo much detail in every little thing, the pots of stew on the dinner table in that random house actually steams as if it was recently taken off the stove. An entire new faction, new excellently done voicework in english, french, russian, german, and austrian dialects. New music for musicians and the 'play together' feature makes is so multiple musicians don't sound like cats scratching a black board. The number of pieces of music is probably around 60+ from the time period. what else... numerous new regiment units, UK has the new light infantry unit along with light dragoons and numerous others for the other factions that I wont list because I can't spell them. A bunch of new very pretty maps and reworked old ones. The artillery system was completely reworked, and is really easy to get a handle on. Oh and a fully voiced tutorial that explains everything you need to know to play. plus rockets, rockets are cool.

My favorite thing about it is that they put so much attention to the small details in the game and it makes it so much more immersive.
I even found on one map an outhouse that you can sit down in, small amusing details. its worth it.

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
You do realize you can see that in native Warband, right? It's a scene prop.

Well I found it impressive. hmm let me make up for it..... Theres boats, one siege map has the attacking team crossing a river in ferry boats one person takes control and can guide it anywhere, they can also be sunk with artillery.

I think yaxim's point here is that vince has added and created far more content than ever existed when the Warband was first released. If he was merely taking what already existed, putting a new hat on it, and then charging for it, you would have an argument. However, having played the beta myself I can assure you that the amount of new content and gameplay is more than enough for a dlc pack. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they marketed and sold it at the price of a full game. However, they are not. What you are receiving is the product of over a year of hard work and labor, constructing a totally new gameplay experience that never would have been possible otherwise. I challenge you to find a SINGLE person who has actually experienced the game, even while it's in beta, that would not pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom