A Disturbing Trend

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really quite shocked by the gradual trend I'm seeing in the gaming community.
Over the last while, there has been a dramatic shift from releasing fully-developed games and ground-breaking expansions to original releases that do not even contain all the content developed and very few, if any, quality expansions.
It would seem that so many of these pieces of DLC, especially the case with series such as the Total War franchise, are simply little pieces of content that should have been included in the original game and that were are getting nickel-and-dimed for. Our $____ game is being bumped up by $___ pieces of DLC. Is it not our right as the purchaser of the game to receive ALL of the game? What happened to the days when patches introduced new content, rather than being forced to buy it?
Expansions nowadays are so often standalone games, charging the gamer the full price of the game which often uses the same mechanics, engine, models, etc. If we are not receiving the wealth of content that would arrive in a full game, why should we have to purchase it like a full game? When a company releases an expansion, it should be a sound addition to the original game, with enough content to justify its price and not just be something to introduce content present in the original game.
*end rant*
Now, what I see with this is that what was once a completely free mod for the community to enjoy has been converted into a piece of priced software with minimal features and content added. You are forcing your dedicated fanbase to start to pay for what in the modding community would be considered a patch.
I feel that we are drifting away from the days of games being fully-fueled by passion for the product. So much has been commercialized and I really wish we could take a step back and remember that the goal of game development is not how to get the most pennies out of the gamer, but how to create a product worthy of someone investing a chunk of their life in.
Praise be to games such as Dwarf Fortress that charge nothing and provide so much.

Honestly.  Put yourselves in Vincenzo's shoes.  We all want money, yes?  You can say you don't, but you do.  If you were the developer (Thank God you aren't), would you really refuse the option to make ****loads of cash?

So I take it you know how much they added because you definitely played the game. -_-

Your opinion will have credibility when you actually play the game.

And on the regard of money im sure the devs would love to quite their day jobs and work full time on what they love.

Gilgameshismyhomey said:
Honestly.  Put yourselves in Vincenzo's shoes.  We all want money, yes?  You can say you don't, but you do.  If you were the developer (Thank God you aren't), would you really refuse the option to make ****loads of cash?
The developers themselves are making a minimal amount of money, not ****loads.

TheDyllionaire said:
I am really quite shocked by the gradual trend I'm seeing in the gaming community.
Over the last while, there has been a dramatic shift from releasing fully-developed games and ground-breaking expansions to original releases that do not even contain all the content developed and very few, if any, quality expansions.
It would seem that so many of these pieces of DLC, especially the case with series such as the Total War franchise, are simply little pieces of content that should have been included in the original game and that were are getting nickel-and-dimed for. Our $____ game is being bumped up by $___ pieces of DLC. Is it not our right as the purchaser of the game to receive ALL of the game? What happened to the days when patches introduced new content, rather than being forced to buy it?
Expansions nowadays are so often standalone games, charging the gamer the full price of the game which often uses the same mechanics, engine, models, etc. If we are not receiving the wealth of content that would arrive in a full game, why should we have to purchase it like a full game? When a company releases an expansion, it should be a sound addition to the original game, with enough content to justify its price and not just be something to introduce content present in the original game.
*end rant*
Now, what I see with this is that what was once a completely free mod for the community to enjoy has been converted into a piece of priced software with minimal features and content added. You are forcing your dedicated fanbase to start to pay for what in the modding community would be considered a patch.
I feel that we are drifting away from the days of games being fully-fueled by passion for the product. So much has been commercialized and I really wish we could take a step back and remember that the goal of game development is not how to get the most pennies out of the gamer, but how to create a product worthy of someone investing a chunk of their life in.
Praise be to games such as Dwarf Fortress that charge nothing and provide so much.

there are a lot of features added.

Second. you aren't forced to buy it. personally anyone who i see whining about paying for the game please don't buy it. I don't want you whiny assholes in the game i play. because all you are going to do is complain about the game and be a idiot.

HarbingerOfDoom said:
Gilgameshismyhomey said:
The developers themselves are making a minimal amount of money, not ****loads.
Either way, it's money, money, money.  It's also probably feels good for the developers to get recognition from the company and have them want to make the mod official.

How is this a feature that should have been in Warband at release? It has nothing to do with native apart from using the same engine. Honestly, your post makes little sense, and if you're so opposed to the new DLC, then just don't buy it. Personally, I believe that Vincenzo and the rest of the team really deserve the money for the superb work they've done.

Also, if you've taken a look at the plethora of new features and content, you should know that Napoleonic Wars is most certainly a "sound" addition to the game. Heck, it's pretty much its own game and I'd buy it even as a standalone expansion/game (whatever you wanna call it) in a jiffy.

My conclusion:
Vincenzo and all other developers from Flying Squirrel Entertainment have done a lot of work; that was already seen over the past year.So, is it pretty stupid not to accept the money offered by Warband devs? -Yes, it is.Imagine the endless time they spent on everything which you want in-game.Duh, you got the point. As some person above said that Vince isn't standing nearby, forcing you to buy it- he is totally right.If you don't want to buy it, do not. I, and many,many more people will buy this DLC, and will enjoy it, while you (not saying directly to you) will watch linebattle videos on Youtube...and then think about it.
Janko out.

JankoMega said:
My conclusion:
Vincenzo and all other developers from Flying Squirrel Entertainment have done a lot of work; that was already seen over the past year.So, is it pretty stupid not to accept the money offered by Warband devs? -Yes, it is.Imagine the endless time they spent on everything which you want in-game.Duh, you got the point. As some person above said that Vince isn't standing nearby, forcing you to buy it- he is totally right.If you don't want to buy it, do not. I, and many,many more people will buy this DLC, and will enjoy it, while you (not saying directly to you) will watch linebattle videos on Youtube...and then think about it.
Janko out.

Is it weird i find the cat in your avatar sexy?...

Cookies.

Never before recently had I ever tried or tasted them.
I went to a store however, and purchased some. They were some very simple drop-cookies. Chocolate chip, if I recall.
They were delicious, obviously. But... I had to eat the entire package. I got tired of them eventually.
Some months later, a pair of girl-scouts arrived at my door, wishing for me to buy some of their very superior cookies.

I did so, and indeed, these cookies were very similar to the first ones I had bought, but produced with much greater care and quality. I fell in love with them again. Then, I decided to visit the web to find out what I could about cookies.
I discovered many sorts of things, such as dipping them in milk. I tried this, and it prolonged even more the amount of cookies I could eat before growing tired of them. But this wore off eventually as well.

So, I decided since I had enjoyed so much these small crumbly pastries, that I would learn how to bake them myself.
Suddenly a whole world of flavour and uniqueness opened up to me. I could make this cookie any delicious way imaginable, so long as I had the skill. I practiced proper balance of the ingredients, spending many hours staring into the ovens for the correct time to cease heating... and eventually I could create culinary masterpieces, with enough time and effort.

And so I began to share my cookies with friends, family, and associates. Some of them truly enjoyed my cookies to the extent that they told me they would pay for something so good. And at the same time, some people simply don't like the flavour or variety which I produce.

This is fine with me. And so I gained a business license, hired some co-workers, and I started up a bakery.
I have to work hard every day in order to achieve my goal of becoming a great baker, and at the same time maintaining the quality of my works. It is very annoying when people simply waltz into my shop and tell me that my goods are not worth the money they are sold for. It discourages me. I always simply tell them that they do not need to buy those cookies.
I make cookies because I have always loved making and eating cookies. I wish people wouldn't say hateful things about this for no reason.

Dyllionaire is right, Vincenzo and the other MM devs should not get anything from dedicating tons and tons of personal time to a mod made for the enjoyment of others.  :roll:

They made it, if they wish to sell it, they have the right to.

If this DLC wasn't a complete MP conversion with improved engine I would have agreed with you.

Now please head towards the Modern Warfare forums and start *****ing how expensive their DLCs are.

They give you like 5 maps for 15 euros. Same goes for BF3 and many other games.

This DLC gives you way more maps, new factions, new guns, new GAMEPLAY features, improved graphics combined with improved performance.
And will cost the same or less than those DLC's.

Personally I would call this a MP expansion pack and not a DLC since I believe DLC should be free. (Else they are not downloadable content aye?).
But since this contains far more than ANY DLC I have ever seen, I really can't see how it's so bad to pay like 10 euros for this.

In regards to this being a mod first, I would pay for any other good mod aswell (cRPG for example).
Perhaps you should stop acting as if people should give everything for free, what have you given the community?
Did you make any awesome mods or anything?
Or are you just playing while other people are working hard?!

edit:

Great post Rallix!

Rallix said:
Cookies.

Never before recently had I ever tried or tasted them.
I went to a store however, and purchased some. They were some very simple drop-cookies. Chocolate chip, if I recall.
They were delicious, obviously. But... I had to eat the entire package. I got tired of them eventually.
Some months later, a pair of girl-scouts arrived at my door, wishing for me to buy some of their very superior cookies.

I did so, and indeed, these cookies were very similar to the first ones I had bought, but produced with much greater care and quality. I fell in love with them again. Then, I decided to visit the web to find out what I could about cookies.
I discovered many sorts of things, such as dipping them in milk. I tried this, and it prolonged even more the amount of cookies I could eat before growing tired of them. But this wore off eventually as well.

So, I decided since I had enjoyed so much these small crumbly pastries, that I would learn how to bake them myself.
Suddenly a whole world of flavour and uniqueness opened up to me. I could make this cookie any delicious way imaginable, so long as I had the skill. I practiced proper balance of the ingredients, spending many hours staring into the ovens for the correct time to cease heating... and eventually I could create culinary masterpieces, with enough time and effort.

And so I began to share my cookies with friends, family, and associates. Some of them truly enjoyed my cookies to the extent that they told me they would pay for something so good. And at the same time, some people simply don't like the flavour or variety which I produce.

This is fine with me. And so I gained a business license, hired some co-workers, and I started up a bakery.
I have to work hard every day in order to achieve my goal of becoming a great baker, and at the same time maintaining the quality of my works. It is very annoying when people simply waltz into my shop and tell me that my goods are not worth the money they are sold for. It discourages me. I always simply tell them that they do not need to buy those cookies.
I make cookies because I have always loved making and eating cookies. I wish people wouldn't say hateful things about this for no reason.

That was great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom