Brutality Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

As you may have noticed, starting with .604b, there is an optional gameplay mode called 'Brutality Mode' which you can toggle on in the game prior to character level 3. This is a completely optional, default-off mode that greatly increases the difficulty of the game, forcing you to come up with entirely new tactics for kingdom building and survival. This gameplay mode is in the experimental phase, and is designed solely to provide challenge and fun to experienced players. It is definitely not for someone who is new to the game or wants to concentrate on just having a good time.

Additionally, Brutality mode is subject to change. Future releases may add or remove features, and overall will serve as icing on the cake for NE. Remember this mode is 100% completely optional, so no complaining if it's too tough! Feedback, of course, is suggested. This thread in the future will be updated as changes are made. I'm also fully aware that some other features might be more annoying than challenging to some, like the long term wounding - stick with it folks, these systems will be improved as we collect more feedback! As it stands, here's what Brutality mode adds:

Brutality Mode in .604b forces you to deal with:
* The surgery skill is disabled, for both you and companions (You can still assign points to it, but the effective skill level will always be '0'.
* The Training skill receives a -4 penalty, for both you and companions (You can still assign points to it, but the effective skill level will always be at a -4 penalty)
* The long term wounding, lord rebellion, town rebellion, companion conflict and strict noble recruit systems will be forced on
* The strict recruiting system (faction-only recruits) will be forced on
* The player can never join a kingdom nor receive an offer of vassalage

As I said, this system is definitely in the experimental phase. Later releases will add on to Brutality, so don't count on it staying the same.

* Can never be disabled once enabled
* Toggles most NE immersion/difficulty changing features to 'ON', and prevents them from being disabled - such as Dark Knights, Long Term Wounding and Companion Conflicts.

i have an ida to add to this challenge. if possible that is,when useing arrow/bolts they get used up every battle or so.
so that you have to buy new arrows everytime you fired em all off.

rax1145 said:
i have an ida to add to this challenge. if possible that is,when useing arrow/bolts they get used up every battle or so.
so that you have to buy new arrows everytime you fired em all off.

I support this. That would be pretty cool.

I actually am curious to know the reasoning behind that decision as well.  I personally feel that it would limit gameplay substantially.

Apstinentas said:
I cant understand the thought process behind the
feature. Care to elaborate why you put that in? (Im just curious :roll:)
Deis said:
I actually am curious to know the reasoning behind that decision as well.  I personally feel that it would limit gameplay substantially.

Because otherwise it would be too damn easy to find shelter and protection within a powerful kingdom!

'Brutality' Mode means you're on your own, you can't count on anything or anyone but what you put there yourself, through your own hard work and bloody battles!

Apstinentas said:
I cant understand the thought process behind the
feature. Care to elaborate why you put that in? (Im just curious :roll:)

If you're just curious, why :roll: ?

Joining a faction early on is one of the easiest ways to migrate from a pauper to a lord. You get the advantage of being able to take/own property and fight other lord parties, but virtually none of the risk, since you have an entire kingdom backing you up. Since the AI relies heavily on numbers, you'd have to be a pretty terrible player or ridiculously unlucky to join a faction and end up having that faction get wiped out. It also gives you easy access to noble soldiers.

A player who goes solo from start to finish will have a much more challenging time than anyone else - you can never again rely on other lords coming to your aid. You have to build your kingdom completely from scratch.

soulmata said:

I'm not quite sure what this means, since in this mode the player can't join a faction anyway, so how would the faction you can recruit from be decided?  Would it be the territory you started out in, or the faction with which you have the most reputation, or the first faction you recruited from?  Or something else?

Magic 8 Ball said:
soulmata said:

I'm not quite sure what this means, since in this mode the player can't join a faction anyway, so how would the faction you can recruit from be decided?  Would it be the territory you started out in, or the faction with which you have the most reputation, or the first faction you recruited from?  Or something else?

It means that if you're in brutality mode, you won't be able to recruit from any villages or cities until you own them.

soulmata said:
Magic 8 Ball said:
soulmata said:

It means that if you're in brutality mode, you won't be able to recruit from any villages or cities until you own them.

Yeah true story -.- Hard like hell (easiest way to get wasalage is to get married)

Took my 1st castle on 113 day of game :S You can only have mercenaries troops, which are expensive like hell + castle are hevally deffended and you are alone :grin:

But  I like this mod, Brutality is really like Whole world vs You :grin:

One tip to get not mercenaries troops es fiding warbands with lots of presioners :razz:

Cya and have fun! :smile:

Something I forgot to mention: In .604b brutality mode, the Trainer skill receives a -4 skill check penalty for both you and companions (added to the list above).

Just a question, when you say it can never be turned off do you mean for that save file only or every character made after the one you activate it will be forced to do the brutality mod?

Kinsume said:
Just a question, when you say it can never be turned off do you mean for that save file only or every character made after the one you activate it will be forced to do the brutality mod?

Only for that given save. If you make a new game or reload an older save (quit without saving and load a save prior to enabling it), it's turned off.

That's important for people who use auto-save: If you use auto-save, once you've clicked Enable, you're stuck with it, so be careful!

U can turn it off each time you start a new game, and before reaching lvl 3, importing characters is not a problem, but make sure the mod is off before importing char lvl 3+ (I don't know if u can disable after it)  :smile:

P.S. If u reach certain lvl  with char (3+) and edit it's xp to 1 and then import your char u won't be disable brutality mode anyways :razz:

conscripting still works, that is all.

not sure if intentional, but its kinda funny to rob every village in the rhodoks land for 2 denar a recruit.

also, im a little bit of a M&B noob, but how do you get a 'independent' nation? i have always sided with one of the factions in vanilla.

ronus said:
U can turn it off each time you start a new game, and before reaching lvl 3, importing characters is not a problem, but make sure the mod is off before importing char lvl 3+ (I don't know if u can disable after it)  :smile:

P.S. If u reach certain lvl  with char (3+) and edit it's xp to 1 and then import your char u won't be disable brutality mode anyways :razz:

I don't see why the character importing should be a problem at all. Characters are just text files, aren't they? You can import/export whatever you want, whenever you like it, right? Am I missing something?

I think, that brutality mode is off by default so importing any char should work fine if you DONT want brutality mode, i think hes saying that you cant turn it ON with a char above lvl 3.

Back
Top Bottom