300/Battle of Thermopylae MINIMOD

Users who are viewing this thread

apparently some people were pissed at that movie. some people saw it as a propaganda movie that was made for an apparently violent, dumb America that sees any people from the middle east as swarming enemies of freedom...but the words "freedom", "fight", and "kill" are thrown around a lot so that theory isn't totally inaccurate.

if this mod is made, it should be a mini-mod, more like War of Calradia.

Jackamo said:
ya this guys right they wer elike completley naked  :neutral: still how could they even fight 1000000 persians with only 300 man thats like impossible in the real world
1)They weren't naked.
2)Guess what, they did it. Of course, there were really more than just 300...

The Pope said:
Hoplites didn't have a standard issue set of equipment. They had to buy their own, so if someone could only afford a shield and helmet, that's what they wore. If they could afford the full set, they wore that.
Actually Spartan Hoplites did have standard issue equipment. It was all they were legally allowed to own until they retired from the military. No breastplate though (yes, it did exist, but it was both too expensive to equip your entire population with and also ill suited to the Greek climate). IIRC they had one spear, one shield, one dagger, greaves, helmet and bracer (well, can't remember the actual name, but it was a leather and bronze thing which went around the forearm). Torso would usually be unarmoured, although at various points Spartan 'fashion' would constitute leather armour. It was largely irrelevant though, the Hoplite method of fighting meant that there was no exposed part of the body presented to the enemy.

As for the battle itself, by the time the main body of the Greek army was dismissed there were considerably less Persians. The 300 Spartans also had 700 volunteers backing them up, giving them a force of 1000 to meet the Persians. Thermopoylae itself was fought in a narrow pass (IIRC Herodotus described it as being no larger than fifty men abreast) meaning that the Persians couldn't bring their numbers to bear (in fact more Persians died through being crushed and trampled by their own side attempting to get into the pass on the first day than were killed by the Greeks in battle according to Persian sources).

sad. Everyone is trying to post their input and except some people who actually know something and can back it with sources, the rest just posts what they think could be true. Internet discussions are always like this.

I say:

- historically accurate mods about greek-persian wars failed. make a movie kickass stylized one. The graphics can't probably get anywhere near the comics or the movie, but it'll still be better than the horrible 300:March for glory for PSP. I think the idea of a non-ending combat is great (I have to try Highlander's WH:40k mod that has it like that..)
- I would be willing to help with texturing or supplying sources from the comics and the movie. I just can't model for ****...

The Pope said:
There was a legal minimum, but anyone who wanted more could buy it. There was no legal maximum.

Technically they weren't allowed to own money, (Spartan training encouraged the men to steal anything they needed in order to keep their minds sharp. Interestingly enough, Spartan's couldn't be punished for stealing, instead they were punished for failing to outsmart the owner). Most of the wealth was in the hands of the women rather than the men - generally the only way a Spartan man would come by money would be by looting, which was strictly regulated. They also saw the desire to possess more than what the state provided as effeminate (a constant accusation they levelled at the Athenians, for that very thing) and generally unbecoming of a true Spartan warrior. Also, possessions were generally considered the property of their squad rather than an individual, although those with 'officer' type ranks enjoyed some leeway in that regard.

Well, if I ever find time to do this it most definitely not be historical ;so any more debate about history is fine by me, but just remember that this is purposely deviating from both history and the movie .  More like a fun and short M&B Mini-Game.

It would be like this:

You are equal to all other Spartans in terms of stats and equipment

Every time you, or one of the other Spartans die; You almost immediately respawn and you lose 1 guy (you start with 300)
When you have no Men left and you die, Game-over, YOU LOSE.
If Its possible I would like to put in some sort of counter that records how many Persians are killed, and then have some sort of Record system or something.
Persians continually respawn, eventually going to better troops or different tactics depending on how long you last.

Spartans will be Much more movie-like or however makes them more fun.

My goal is to have a fun fast minigame that lets you relieve stress or some other excuse while feeling really kick-ass

Spartans
1 long spear - used for stabbing and swinging(less powerful)
1 short sword - used up close for more damage but more risk
1 large round shield - very high endurance + Spartans own shield skill
1 throwing spear - yeah yeah I know "its stupid" but its still cool, only has a capacity of 1
1 helmet

10 ironflesh
10 powerstrike
10 athletics
10 shield
10 weapons master

250 spear proficiency
250 one handed sword proficiency
250 throwing  (if I'm going to have a throwing spear It's not going to miss)

Oh, and any help would be great, I don't have a clue about how to go about coding this mod like I think of it.

yeah, that's pretty much the concept I would choose. Good luck with it.
I hope you can mod :smile:
Still, if you need help with let's say...texturing or design advice, I'm willing to help you. Choose the persian troops, skin the models you or someone else makes..

It's damn easy, so I'd love to help with the scripting. Just not too sure how to make the counters and definitely the record system.

The record system in itself isn't important, but I thought it might be fun to have a topic where you can post your stats. If I could get it working well I would want to record as much stuff as I could: average kills per life, longest life, and maybe even some titles.

This mod should be very Light-weight and I want to do it while doing as little modeling as possible. (not that I can't, but I just don't have much free time or will)

The models I need for a release would be

12 foot (more or less) spear
Greek helmet (or something similar)
that sword from the movie (not sure of name)
Large round shield with bronze or gold texture

What Would be awesome:

New body model (more muscular and tanned with codpiece for realism factor)
Armored Rhino mount
Wicker-like shield for some Persian foot troops
Copyright free music that is similar in sound and style to the 300 movie

you'd indeed need quite a few completely new models. You can borrow stuff from other mods like Holy War maybe, Sharp Bronze...
Lots of different looking soldiers can be done by retexturing native and other mods models. (still offering help :smile:)

it would be cool, if you could put your spartans in a shield wall formation with 50 men in each row...so there will be 6 rows of 50 spartans :grin:

And also someone should implement a "shield push attack"

bongo1210 said:
it would be cool, if you could put your spartans in a shield wall formation with 50 men in each row...so there will be 6 rows of 50 spartans :grin:

And also someone should implement a "shield push attack"

- static formation is possible
- shield push is probably not possible. I can't think of any way to do it. (maybe an invisible thrown poton like Hellequin has in the Darklands that would knock the enemy down? )

Sharp Bronze has pretty much every greek thing you could need, ask Talon for the models.
I made a persian wicker-shield a while ago for a persia mod, maybe if I can find it...

i shoved your moms cock into a shredding machine and laughed at her....so SHUTUP! or preferrably eat my *******

static formation means you can have your men standing in a formation, but they can't move in the formation. Search for Highlander's formation script.
And I'm not emo.

Back
Top Bottom