So you want to bear an authentic Norman name

Users who are viewing this thread

I know the meaning of your name, that's why I occasionally call you Harjagais (which is the Gothic translation) :razz:. Still, you're Herger, not Hergeirr. And Herger would be the Norman equivalent. YOU FRENCHIE.

I want to use Gothic names for all of you.

you dont just become french if youre name is french :razz: you are french if youre from france or live there (speaking theyre language)
bet you all knew, just wanted too bring it up Hrotha ; )

That's true now, not so much back then, because if you were living there normally you'd use the local form of your name, regardless of what you were called originally. That's why the vast majority of Norman names have Frankish, not Norse forms.

youre right Hrotha but i guess not all nordic pepole had Nordic names, becuse some may married pepole from other places in the world that came as sellers or settlers if you know what i mean ?

(My opinion)evan tough i would guess 97%-98% of most nordic pepole or vikings had nordic names ; ) so Herger still may be one.

UlfrTheMighty said:
you dont just become french if youre name is french :razz: you are french if youre from france or live there (speaking theyre language)
bet you all knew, just wanted too bring it up Hrotha ; )

Doesn't quite work like that everywhere in the world, though. It's not all clear cut as that everywhere. Just a warning.

UlfrTheMighty said:
(My opinion)evan tough i would guess 97%-98% of most nordic pepole or vikings had nordic names ; ) so Herger still may be one.

I'd say much less than that! For example almost as soon as Norseman or Dane came to Ireland for Western Scotland they adopted a Gaelic name (I'm ofcourse excluding Gaelic names of Norse origin here). And within a generation they took the languange and the religion (Celtic  Christianity).

Exactly. They didn't see names in the same light as us. They were more like the Chinese who still get a Western name to deal with Westerners. If you were a Norman, the name you'd normally use at home would be Henri, but Henricus, Heinrich and whatever would be your name too, on the same footing as the usual Henri.

A character who went by the name "Herger" would most likely live among Normans or, more likely, Germans.

Celtichugs said:
I'd say much less than that! For example almost as soon as Norseman or Dane came to Ireland for Western Scotland they adopted a Gaelic name (I'm ofcourse excluding Gaelic names of Norse origin here). And within a generation they took the languange and the religion (Celtic  Christianity).

That's more than you can say about present day. Mohammed was the second most common name given to newborns in my city last year.

But fine, Hrotha, I'll get it changed, ye turd. I'm certain Eadric put you up to this... :wink:

Added 25 new names (most of them male), bolded the most common names from the list, added an asterisk in front of Breton names which were used in Normandy (there's only 2 of them, though), and corrected a few forms that now I'm pretty sure were wrong.

:!: IMPORTANT: One of the names I corrected is Helias, which should be Helies. :!:

Added 23 new names, most of them female this time. Made a few minor corrections here and there. Added some extra alternative spellings.

I'm guessing my name would be Reinalt in Old French, aye Hróða?
Since Val-és-Dunes is coming up and we all have to use the Norman equivalent of our names, I figured I should ask.

Depends on what you imagine the second element of your name to be, but yes, Reinalt would work (a more likely 11th century spelling would probably be Rainalt, but both should be fine). The Normans had no shortage of names in *ragin-.

No no no, they are not equivalents.

Old Dutch / Old Saxon Reginald is from Old Germanic *Raginawaldaz. Its Old Norse equivalent would be Ragnaldr.

Old Norse Reginn is from Old Germanic *raginaz.

And I don't know why you put an acute accent on your i.

Back
Top Bottom