So you want to bear an authentic Norman name

Users who are viewing this thread

Juliens appears to have been a Christian name in our time period, and therefore would only be used among the clergy and can't be considered a Norman name until a century or two later.

The early Old Norman French form of "Raoul of Palermo" would probably be Ra(d)ulf de Palerne (or Ra(d)ulz de Palerne, with the -s ending of the subject case).

Hi, could you elaborate on the pronunciation guide? For example, is the name Abelard pronounced /abelarθ/, and Amiere /ãmierə/?

I really half-arsed that pronunciation guide. It would need a lot of work to be anywhere near decent.

I suspect the <b> in "Abelard" would be merely orthographic, in which case it'd be pronounced /avəˈlarθ/. As for "Amiere", I think it would be /ãˈmjɛrə/.

So the first is quite different from Francilian Old French then.

/abɛlard/
/ãmjɛrə/

Or the word gaiant,
E. Old French /dʒajãnt/
Old Norman /gajãnθ/

Okay, at this point I figured it'd be a good idea to check my main source. Final /t/ and /d/ would indeed stay as [t] after a consonant, so that should be [avəˈlart] and [gaˈjãnt] (although that'd be the northern form, north of the Joret Line; the southern Old Norman form should be [dʒaˈjãnt]).

An important note, though: none of this is *really* based on Old Norman as such. There isn't or at least I haven't found any such detailed information on specifically Old Norman phonology on the internet for free. This is basically standard early Old French phonology (as per Frederick Bliss Luquiens's An Introduction to Old French Phonology and Morphology), on top of which the few known details of the Norman dialects are added (which is done basically by comparing standard eOF to later Norman and Anglo-Norman). It is only an approximation intended for Víkingr players, not for phonologists. I don't know nearly enough about eOF phonology to be more precise than this.

That makes sense, the discrepancies seemed few and more like errors on your part, no offense meant by that at all (God knows I make mistakes too). You're helping me a great deal here, since I'm providing extra names for the game Crusader Kings II and trying to give their pronunciations. I was having trouble finding Norman name pronunciations!

Back
Top Bottom