Playoffs and Rule-Testing Tournaments... WTFFS?

Users who are viewing this thread

modern_art.png

modern_art_lower_playoffs_and_ruletesting.png

In order to avoid confusion, I've decided to make a plan/explanation of what's going to happen at the end of this league cycle and how that's going to fit in with the next. Many of you will have seen some of the discussions taking place here and might have an idea of the situation but hopefully, for those who haven't, this will clear a few things up.

Playoffs

Firstly, the playoffs. These are explained at the bottom of each division in the League Tables and Fixtures thread (probably not the best place for them) but just so everyone knows exactly how they'll work, I'll go over them here.

At the end of the cycle, the first thing to happen is to check the difference in points between 1st and 2nd place in Division C. If that difference is 3 or less, those teams will face each other in a playoff match. This will take place in Week 13, directly after the end of the cycle. This match will determine the winner of Division C. If the difference in points is greater than 3, the team in 1st place will automatically be declared the winners. The loser of this match will take 2nd place and join Division B next cycle.

Either way, the winners of Division C will then go on to face the 3rd place team in Division B. This will take place in Week 13 if there was no Division C playoff match, or Week 14 if there was. The loser of this match (re)joins Division B next cycle.

The winner of that match will then playoff against the 6th place Team in Division A, in either Week 14 or Week 15. The winners from this final playoff will (re)join Division A and the losers, Division B.

This will leave a spare week or two before the next cycle, which I intend to start promptly at the beginning of March. There was far too much downtime between this cycle and the last, for a number of reasons - the most prominent of which being that I'm not entirely robot (yet).

Separately, there may be a playoff between the almost promoted team(s) in Division C and the teams that almost stayed up in Division B, in order to fill empty spots made by Division A drops. This hasn't been confirmed yet and didn't come into play last cycle, due to the higher number of drops. Either way, hopefully it can be resolved quickly and clarified.

Rule-Testing Tournament

This is the result of discussions that have been taking place in the "Tell me" thread. In short, I think it will benefit the community and the tournament to shorten the length of matches and decrease them in size to 8vs8. To see the reasoning and arguments surrounding that discussion, you'll have to read up in that thread. I also request that you keep specific discussions relating to potential rulechanges in that thread.

Due to limited time in between the cycles, this tournament will be 16 team single knockout only and there will be 5 days for each round. Remember this is a testing tournament, so there won't be any hooplah about the winner and teams are just expected to show out with enough players and take things reasonably seriously. I'll verify rosters, since I want teams to stay in the habit of checking them :smile:. The process for deciding who plays in this tournament will be announced shortly.

These are the revised match rules for the tournament (changed rules in bold):

• Combat Speed: Medium, Friendly Fire: 100% (melee and ranged), Round Duration: 5 minutes, Game type: Battle, Gold: All set to 100%, Respawn Time : 8 sec , Spectator Settings: Locked to team members view. No bots and no polls.
  • Matches will be 12 rounds long, played over two maps. Each map will be 6 rounds, with teams swapping sides and factions after 3 rounds.
  • Rounds resulting in a draw will count as normal, with no points awarded to either team.
  • Matches will be 8 a side. If both teams agree, matches may be fought with more players but as far as the league is concerned, no support will be offered for this.
  • In matches, teams may not use more than 4 of any class. This will be limited by the ENL Admin mod, which must be kept in "ENL Mode" for the duration of the match. There will be no equipment restrictions beyond the class limits and players are free to exchange equipment at will.
  • All matches should be played on the official tournament servers named: "ENL_France" (servers 1&2) and "ENL_Germany" (servers 1-4). Book timeslots on these servers, in the Server Booking thread, in this sub-forum. If wish to play your match on any other server, you must request permission from me (captain lust) via PM. The password, for these servers is "enl20" and should always be reset to "enl20" after use, so people can register players and test pings.
  • The winner will be the team with the most rounds won, at the end of the match.
  • Teams may make 2 substitutions during each 3 round leg. When making a switch, the outgoing player should leave the server. At no point should teams spawn more than 8 players.
    • If "no spectators" has been agreed by the teams, the joining player should respect that and make sure to join late in the round. If spectators have been agreed and allowed by both teams then neither team should take up more than half of the spectator spots.
  • Teams are permitted to make as many changes as they like in between each 3 round leg (i.e. at spawn and map switches).
  • If the match ends in an overall draw, then it will be considered a tie and both teams will get 1 point.
  • Each map must be reset, after 3 rounds, when the teams switch.
  • Typically, matches will be played without a referee. There are simply too many matches to expect a referee to be present most of the time, so take frequent screenshots and even video recordings, if you can.
  • Unless team captains decide otherwise, team 1 will always start at spawn 1 on the first map and and spawn 2 on the second map and vice versa for team 2.
  • Special versions of the Warband maps will be made for the tournament. They will fix map bugs and remove ways to glitch, removing the problem of glitches entirely. A log of the changes made to the maps will be kept and the maps will be made publicly available.
  • If a team cannot show out with 8 players, for a match, the other team should continue with 8 anyway. If however, a team cannot make 7 players or more, the other team will be offered a default win, provided they have shown up with at least 8 players. If neither team has shown up with 8 players, the match should be rescheduled. Teams should allow 15 minutes, after the scheduled match time, for players to arrive on the server, before any of these rulings are put into practice.
  • The above notions of shown players are defined by attendance on the agreed server alone. Players must be eligible, ready and willing to start the match.
  • It is only by explicit agreement by team reps from both teams or by ruling from an event admin that a match can be rescheduled.
    • An event admin may only make such a ruling if there is a reason that the match cannot be legitimately played, through no fault or misdoing of the teams and express consent to reschedule cannot be obtained from both teams. Basically unforseeable, unavoidable circumstances. Situations that do not warrant the usage of this power include (but are not limited to): one team can't get enough players, there is a national holiday in the country where one the teams is based, there is another event taking place at the time.

captain lust said:
  • Matches will be 8 a side, with no class or equipment restrictions. If both teams agree, matches may be fought with more players but as far as the league is concerned, no support will be offered for this.
  • In matches, teams may not use more than 4 of any class. This will be limited by the ENL Admin mod, which must be kept in "ENL Mode" for the duration of the match.

Make up your mind  :roll:

captain lust said:
[*]Matches will be 8 a side. If both teams agree, matches may be fought with more players but as far as the league is concerned, no support will be offered for this.
[*]In matches, teams may not use more than 4 of any class. This will be limited by the ENL Admin mod, which must be kept in "ENL Mode" for the duration of the match. There will be no equipment restrictions beyond the class limits and players are free to exchange equipment at will.

If you're experimenting with the rules, which I like, please also do something about the Gold bonus. Put it at 80% or something, to avoid too much steamrolling by an already winning team.

Anyways, I'm willing to try these ****e rules :razz:

Gold bonus is still too much in my opinion. And this is just the test phase, so those 3 rounds may be turned back to 5. I'd like to test lowered Gold bonus as well, since we're testing everything.

Anyways, CoR supports these Testing Tournaments.

Shemaforash said:
captain lust said:
[*]Each map must be reset, after 3 rounds, when the teams switch.

@ Arch3r
If you have one cavalry going 4-0 in one round with 100% gold bonus he can afford decent armor + warhorse/steppe charger after just one round. This is a huge bonus to the team as warhorses are really hard to kill. Lowering the combat gold would mean the cavalry would need to choose between armor and an expensive horse.

Well I would prefer to keep discussions about specifics out of this thread and leave it for questions about the transition phase to the next ENL cycle.

As for gold, I think lowering combat and round gold to 80% will work. I'll add the change in a bit.

ENL rules for the next cycle are brilliant, but could be improved a bit. I think maybe 4 players less would be great. Also, maybe limited to one cavalry without a rider. The best players should be forced to wear default armour and weapons and archer should not be allowed to fight in melee.

better 1 archer in closed map (2 if xbow) and 2 archers (3 xbows) in open map; max 3 horses

for 8x8 it must be perfect

Shemaforash said:
Well done at making this more complex than it needs to be and lowering the team size.

This is how you ruin (run huehue) a league.

Goker said:
Anyways, CoR supports these Testing Tournaments.

Speak for yourself Goker.
Hm CoR does support the tournament and is willing to try new stuff, or you don't want to, then don't.

Does the 4-of-each-class thing apply to infantry too? Being forced to go archer or cavalry - especially in a closed map - seems kinda silly.

Alex_C said:
Does the 4-of-each-class thing apply to infantry too? Being forced to go archer or cavalry - especially in a closed map - seems kinda silly.
At 8vs8, I can't think of a situation where it would have much of an impact. The closed maps tend to open up a little bit with smaller numbers, which gives more space for cav and archers.

Maybe San'di'boush as Nords you'd prefer 5 but even then, it's neither here nor there.

As I've said before, these are very soft limits that pale in comparison to a lot of other games.

EDIT: Yes :razz:.

EDIT2: To be expressly clear, I have no intention whatsoever of introducing class limits at 10vs10.

What happens if both teams agree to play on maybe 9v9, is there still a class-restriction ?

edit: what happens in case of 13v13 ? :grin:

captain lust said:
Firunien said:
What happens if both teams agree to play on maybe 9v9, is there still a class-restriction ?
The limits of 4 per class would be fixed. So yes there would and theoretically that means teams could only agree to a 12vs12.
So i would have to force people play like 4 cav in nord town?

Cybran said:
captain lust said:
Firunien said:
The limits of 4 per class would be fixed. So yes there would and theoretically that means teams could only agree to a 12vs12.
Only if you were playing a 12vs12... but there's no reason you would, since I'm proposing a move to 8vs8. 4 per class is a maximum.

captain lust said:
Cybran said:
captain lust said:
Firunien said:
Only if you were playing a 12vs12... but there's no reason you would, since I'm proposing a move to 8vs8. 4 per class is a maximum.
Well yes, but i think there is nothing wrong with 6 inf even in 8vs8, but i am looking forward to test these new rules.

Back
Top Bottom