Left/Right handed

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think so. the only thing will change will be the visual and the archers blind-point.

I suggest that the blows be stronger or weaker depending in wich hand he uses(if you are right-handed and make a right blow it will be stronger than a left blow.)

Inigo Montoya:
I admit it, you are better than I am.
Westley:
Then why are you smiling?
Inigo Montoya:
Because I know something you don't know.
Westley:
And, what is that?
Inigo Montoya:
I am not left handed.

ares007 said:
Epic necropost...
Indeed!  But I'm glad to see this on the first page, as I was about to propose this :razz:
I'm left handed in real life, and it would have been great to be able to play a left handed character, and I wish this could be added.

It took me a while to adjust to a right handed melee fighting.
Also playing a horse archer I'm instinctively inclined to head left to have enemies on my right, but I had to adjust this behavior due to the fact that the character only turns to shoot to his left.

Naively one would think that's it's only about putting a '-1' in the code somewhere... but I guess it's more than that.
Ideally 10-15% or the troops would be left handed as well, as this the % of the population that is left handed.  But I'd be happy with just my character.

Duel wielding would be pretty cool but impractical...

Unless of course, you're trained in the use of duel weaponry. (Which would be rare in medieval history as it would be cheaper and safer for a soldier to use a shield.)

I'm left handed too and would be a great addition.

But in medieval Europe being left handed was looked at as being evil.

Coel said:

As was having red hair.
Thats why I'm not too fond of the Church.

Coel said:

In the 1400s, Hanko Dobringer said in his martial arts manual that left-handed people should fight above left (in other words in a left-handed vom tag) while right handed people should fight above right.
(evidence that left-handed people were accepted in late-medieval society. Also, I'll have to check, but I think Dobringer was a member of the church)

as for how to implement it? The developers would need to make inverted copies of all the animations. Then they would need to put in a code that checks whether an "agent" is left or right handed and then which animation to use. I don't think it would be extremely difficult, but not just a simple (-1) fix.

I think the biggest difference this would make would be in the tournaments, and it would be super-cool.
"Oh, no, it's Emir Mulhandir, he got me with his left-handed lance last week at Shariz! I'm onto him now..."

As for dual-wielding, I think it would be cool but how could it work? We need both mouse buttons to use one weapon (attack+block)...

there is already a thread for dual-wielding (called "two weapon fighting"). Let's keep dual wielding discussion there maybe?

I really wouldn't mind trying the left-handed thing out. We can't really say how significant of an impact it would make without testing it.

Alpha80 said:
it would make the game inbalanced i think  :???:
how?

Vaughn said:
Duel wielding would be pretty cool but impractical...

Unless of course, you're trained in the use of duel weaponry. (Which would be rare in medieval history as it would be cheaper and safer for a soldier to use a shield.)

agree.... :twisted:

let's keep the dual wield discussion out... plz.

there is no reason why not to add left handed soldiers, of course it should be rarer, but there were many.(link for an example... and the guy on my avatar...)

wow
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,168044.msg4478247.html#msg4478247
there is now the option to mirror the animations, problems solved, now we just need somebody to code it(not me)

Incaa said:
We are also forgetting that this should be in the suggestions forum. It's a suggestion, albeit a silly one. We do not need a left/right hand toggle and even if it was possible to animate the left hand who would really care ? Honestly.
what an asshat. nothing constructive to say except bashing.
And clearly, the OP n others who positively replied care...? Honestly.

Anywho, this would be nice to see in the game, although there are more important things needed to be done. Nevertheless, it would be wonderful to see this (:

Just to give you a little perspective...

The thread hasn't been posted in for about half of a year. The particular post you quoted from was from 2007.

Back
Top Bottom