C.O.E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolfang

Baron
This young blond youth with eyes the color of the northern sea had proven himself a man many times over the years, fighting Ilati and Thaek navy off their Island many times. He did not consider it a burden, it was his duty. An ‘Ir must always defend his island, no matter what the cost. The ‘‘Ir’’ were the ruling Lords of the furthest island joined to the Straet Islands, Schaem. He was not really an ‘Ir, not a pure blooded one anyway. He had been sired a bastard by Affer ‘Ir who after having played a major part in the taking of Cluch and the surrounding lands from the Ilati had been given his own island by the Lord of Over-Schaem.

The ‘Ir had never ruled land that had been part of the Straet Islands. They had had their own fleet of longboats, maybe even a few villages that paid them tribute in Thaek and Ilati, but controlling one of the 55 islands of Straet was considered the highest honor, only only living on one of the five holy islands was considered more honorable: Straet itself, Plutonii, Fliit, Aard and Over-Schaem.

Yes, even though Tusk ‘Ir or Tusk had not reached the age of fifteen yet, which was the age of manhood, he had shown that he was a capable fighter, and that alone should have been enough. He had thought that he would only serve as one of the raiders or maybe even captain one of his father’s ships. Instead, he was accorded an even greater honor. After the feast to celebrate his birthday, he was led towards the docks of Schaem where a splendid longboat awaited him.

‘Tusk’ his father had said ‘I gift you this boat so you may win your place in this world just as I did when I was young. I wish you good plundering and I grant you my blessing as a father, may the Eye of Rithir be upon you.’ Tusk had then beamed at his ship, if things didn’t go well he would always be accepted back to Schaem, something, he obviously, didn’t plan on doing.

He thought about all of this as he lay on his cot. Tomorrow he would embark on his great journey. To travel far and wide across the seas was every islanders dream. Straet was the most powerful nation just because they managed to steal most of the riches that the other countries acquired through honest labor. Islanders had no gold, nor much of any kind of material at that. The only thing they had in excess were the iron-fields. Yes, the islands were like the wastes in many ways. The few people who had gone to the wastes or the broken mountains said that the wastes were similarly covered with iron but in much larger amounts. They said that the nearer you went to the Broken Mountains, the more of these iron shells there were. Therefore the islanders used what they had to make themselves a better living and one of the many things you could do with iron was to forge weapons. Having iron lying around it was only a matter of uniting the islands before they could become the most powerful nation in the world, or at least, in the known world.

Several days after his coming to manhood, Tusk had been able to gather a willing crew of raiding Schaem. Knowing that he would be leaving soon, young men had been asking to be accept onto his boat. The young men knew that if they stayed to join the Affer ‘Ir fleet, that they would need to take a lot more time before they went up the ranks and make themselves a decent living. By joining Tusks ‘fleet’, they had a chance at quickly commanding a ship under him if the raids were successful.
He stood up and dressed into his tough leather clothes. Everyone knew that wearing mail was extremely unwise upon the sea as the early Islanders had done. His leather clothes had been acquired during a quick raid into a Thaek village. He had found them in one of the larger manors and had claimed them for his own. Leather armor was worth ten chainmail armors on the islands, where animals of any kind were rare and worth a fortune.

He was going to miss the moat he had lived in since his mother had died. He could still remember the times he and the other kids would play on the wooden palisade, or roll down the man made hills. He had strapped his plain battleaxe around his shoulder and stepped out through the gate and into the village. The daily pillaging had made Schaem one of the most important southern ports and it had quickly become a city. All the raiders from the northern islands had to pass through Schaem before going to Ilati and while going back to their home islands, many stopped and spent some of their money in the alehouses and brothels by the harbor.

Tusk had seen this village grow into what it was today and suddenly felt a burning urge to be able to do the same thing as his father had done. Turning a forgotten and small village into a prosperous town.

He walked through the village nodding towards familiar faces as everyone watched him pass by. They all knew he would be leaving Schaem and maybe, one day, come back a hero.

He was already nearing the docks and could see his awaiting crew. Although he did not know his half brother well, Fir ‘Jiit had been one of the first to ask if he could be one of his men. He could not deny him that and hoped that he would get to know him better in the process. His brother had been born to another man of the ‘Jiit line before Tusk had been born. Fir had lived in Over-Schaem most of his life and had only come to visit a few times.

Among the crew were his good friends Oraet ‘Tum, who he had appointed as second in command, Flae ‘Juuk and Sael ‘Puny. They had known each other from childhood and were all sons of some of the most respected captains of the Schaem fleet. Among the crew were the three ‘Jinn brothers and Golae ‘Ur, a far relation of the ‘Ir. The whole crew was made op of young men eager to prove themselves in battle and full of ambition. He had been careful not to choose men of families with feuds between each other, there was nothing worse than not knowing if the man next to you would help you if it meant your life. The crew neared the twenty five men and they all neared him as he walked towards him. They must all have come soon, fearing to be left behind if they somehow had come too late.

Oraet walked towards him ‘Here is our great captain! Deemed ourselves fit to sail the seas have we!’
‘Shut up or I’ll have you strung up for mutiny!’ They both laughed and Oraet patted him welcome.
This was the moment they had all been waiting for, they would be heading towards adventure. He walked towards his longboat admiring it all the way and hopped into it.

‘Alright boys! If you manage to paddle this boat outside the harbor I might consider plundering a village or two!’ Tusk turned around and already the men were loading food and flasks of water into the longboat. It was not long before the drum was being beaten at a steady beat by Ulaf ‘Tum, the oldest man aboard nearing is 24th birthday. A little crowd had gathered upon the docks to wave farewell to their sons, the largest part made up of the ‘Jinn families who were plentiful in numbers across the southern islands.

Before long they had reached  the open sea far enough that they wouldn’t smash against the rocks or iron shells sticking out of the sea. Before they could unfurl the sails they had to paddle past one of the largest and last iron shells. The cylindrical shaped piece of iron jutted out of the sea, leaning towards the far horizon,almost as if it were marking the end of their old lives and pointing the way towards their future.

Oraet approached Tusk ‘ I decided to make a few adjustments to the ship before we set sail’
Tusk looked over his shoulder, what mischief had Oraet been up to whilst he had been preparing himself for departure at the moat. ‘What did you do this time?’
‘No need to glare at me like that, I didn’t do nothing wrong!’
Tusk kept glaring towards Oraet.
‘Okay, I’m sorry I did it behind your back but I  decided that any ship holding someone the likes of you should be recognizable from miles away. I told me ma the same thing, she agreed, so I took her the red sails and she made a few adjustments…’ Oraet looked nervously towards the mast where two of the men were unfurling it, they must have passed the iron shell.
As Tusk turned around to watch, the sail finally managed to unfurl. The sail was red and in the middle of it a beautiful wolf head had been stitched into it glaring out towards the front of the boat. Wolves were the stuff of legends, from the time before the iron shells had fallen from the sky to punish man for not listening to Rithir, god of all. No one even knows when Rithir decided to punish man. But the scars could still be seen across the landscape.

Oraet knew that Tusk had been fascinated by the stories of before the punishment. He did not really believe most of the stories but nevertheless he had listened attently as the village elders passed the stories of the punishment down through each generation.

If Tusk ever became a famous raider, merchants and villagers would be shivering at the sight of the wolfs eyes looking towards them. The longboat could now be considered an instrument of punishment, at least that’s what Oraet hoped people would think of when they saw the wolves.

‘And? What do you think of it?’
‘To be honest with you, it couldn’t have been better.’ Tusk said, a smile spread across his face.
‘So?’ Oraet asked ‘Where are we headed?’
‘I’ve been thinking about that, I’ve decided we should skip the big Ilati fish until we are more powerful, let’s set sail and head towards the western shore of Thaek.’
‘Alright, we’ll turn the ship ‘round’ he turned to face Ulaf ‘Set sail for western Thaek’
‘Alright boys! We’re setting sail for Thaek! Turn it about!’ Bellowed Ulaf.
The crew cheered, they had a concrete destination and would be reaching Thaek before long.

Het punt is dat je wat meer alinea's moet gebruiken om het leesbaarder te maken. Ik heb rechtspraak van de jaren stillekes gelezen dat minder slaapwakkend was  :razz: Voor de rest heb ik er geen problemen mee

Dus je vind het slecht?

Ik heb het gewoon rechtstreeks gecopy paste, daarmee dat de format wat anders is.

Aye, het is een beetje moeilijk om te lezen, zonder alinea's bedoel ik.

Wat een kut beoordelaars zijn jullie  :razz:

The ship had been sailing a few days, they were still well supplied. A thick mist surrounded their boat The land was nearby. Most of the men were peering across the water trying to spot shapes or sounds that would indicate a village.

‘You scared little brother?’ Fir grinned as he said it.
‘Not in the least, are you?’ Tusk asked surprised by the question, he had seen that he didn’t understand his brother very well. There was still no open animosity but it was not the companionship he had hoped would form. He didn’t mind, there was still plenty of time to get to know each other.
‘Not at all, just making sure you don’t jump ship before we land.’ Fir looked away back over the waters.

The mist was thick across the water, ideal for a surprise attack. The village would never be expecting it. He hoped they would get plenty of loot and get a good start to making their fortunes. He didn’t consider what he did to be bad. They had agreed not to kill people unless they fought back. Pillaging villages was just as normal as any other work. Islanders considered it the only way of staying alive among the nations that had it a lot better in resources and economically.

No, Tusk was not evil. He would be bringing happiness and wealth back to Schaem and the other islands. His folk was superior to these people.

‘I, hear somin’’ said one of the ‘Jinn brothers ‘ sounds like cows to me!’
‘Probably ain’t going to be cows, do you know how rare those are? even on the mainland! I think that was the sound of a male Ake’ Flae replied cocking his head to hear it better.
‘Well if it’s an Ake herd we are probably very close to a village’ another said.
‘Alright let’s turn about, if it’s not a village we can just keep by the shore’ decided Tusk ‘Lets paddle in nice and quietly if you like. Hakea and Wienn , take the sails down and bring the islander and wolf flag up.’
Everyone obliged and quickly two large flags were hanging from the mast whilst half of the crew paddled and the rest armed their axes and swords. Tusk let Oraet strap his leather armor on and put his raider helmet on which came down to the cheek bones and covered the back of his neck. Two slits let him peer out and several other men put their own helmets on.
‘Village spotted capt’n’ said one of the men standing at the front of the boat. ‘If we go down the coast a bit more we should be able to get nearer to it without being spotted’
Not being spotted was a priority, if they had been seen, half of the villages wealth would be safely hidden somewhere underground by now.

‘Let’s do this right guys, the ones not paddling will run into the village first and round up the people in the center, drag them out of bed if you have to. The other half will run into the houses and gather the loot by the center of the village.’ Tusk looked at every man’s face. It could be possible some of them didn’t make it if the village offered resistance. He was as sure as every one of them that it would succeed. Some of the faces were looking eager, others grim ready to do the necessary if it meant their life, or someone else’s.

The ship slid to the ground smoothly, the first men jumped out and dragged the ship to land using the ropes whilst Tusk and another twelve men started loping towards the village. They had not been spotted yet. The town was still in a deep slumber when suddenly there came a muffled thump to the right followed by a high pitched shout. Tusk looked and saw that Urth, one of the ‘Jinn brothers had tripped over a young boy sleeping by a hay stack who had apparently been watching the Ake and looking out for raids but had fallen asleep on duty.

Urth stared dumbfounded at the young boy he had tripped over, whilst the young boy reached for his pitchfork shouting his lungs out in his local dialect, which was still perfectly understandable ‘Papa!! Der awr raiters un ze fillach!!!’
Suddenly Fir was upon him swinging his axe into the young boy’s stomach. Blood spattered on Tusk’s face, the boy looked down at the blood that was quickly spreading across his shirt. He fell to his knees and letting out a last breath fell face forward into the hay stack.

Fir was smiling broadly charged towards the village axed raised high above his head. Tusk looked towards the village where already a few of the farmers and other men and children had gathered holding pitchforks, some holding rusty swords and axes. Tusk thrusted his axe towards them and shouted ‘For Rithir!!’ The men having recovered from the surprise took up his cry and charged towards the villagers.

The fight was a short one as expected, a few of the men and boys had to be killed before the rest threw down their arms and huddled together in the small square, they were quickly joined by their wives and children some of which looked despairingly at the men lying in pools of blood.

Tusk had taken down one of the villagers, one had targeted him as the leader and sword upraised ran to meet him. Tusk was younger and had far less muscle than this man but fortunately had a lot more experience at handling weapons and with a few powerful blows managed to knock the sword out of his arm after which he quickly hit the man upon the head with the flat of the axe to knock him out. He then looked around to see if more men needed help, Golae by far the tallest and broadest of the band had bullied his way in the middle of the small group of villagers dispersing them whilst the rest of the band hit the stunned villagers on the head making sure that they would have a headache when they came too. Of course, some of the villagers who were more aggressive had to be cut down, and unfortunately, none who had faced Fir were left alive.
A little while later Oraet came with the other half of the band cheering loudly and herding a group of men into the square, apparently the village had quickly sent a group of the men out of the village with their valuables whilst they held the raiders off a little while longer. It explained why they had even fought back, but lucky for Tusk and his men, Oraet and a few men had happened to fall upon them whilst they had silently been sneaking out.

With many of the village’s valuables in the square, Oraets group kept up the search for anything else the villagers had hidden or that might give them an interest. A large box full of Ake leather was found, it might not be worth much here but on the isles, it would be worth ten times as much. Jewels were found too, many stones and lots of gold coins. Whilst the men set about to load the findings up in the ships, Tusk turned towards the gathering of people who had been ordered to kneel. The sun had now risen above the fog and revealed the pretty and calm village.

Ulaf joined Tusk to look at the gathering and raised his voice ‘We shall not be harming you any more unless you should oppose us! From now on, this village will be paying tenths to the band of Tusk. You shall collect the amount and give the collected amount to us whenever we pass along! Should the number of the collected richess not be enough, we will raise the amount, and inflict punishment. Is that all well understood?!’

A few of the people whispered angrily towards each other, it was uncommon that they should oppose the raiders so soon after having become one of its fiefs. To the general agreement of the villagers one old man stood up supported by a young woman and raised his head to address Ulaf. ‘But, mai deyr sirs we awer awlredy payung the dracken raiters.’ Several of the heads nodded in agreement. Tusk had known that a few of the villages along the coasts were already owned fiefs, but the chances of raiding one of the villages already paying another isle lord were minuscule.

‘Ulaf, order the men to load the ship up double time, with luck we will be too new to the trade to be recognized, I want to be far away to the west before the Drackens realize we have stolen from them.’ Tusk ordered. If he remembered well, the Drackens had family name ‘Schuut, they were called dracken because of the dragon-like creature that adorned all their sails and flags. ‘Flae, are the Drackens a fearsome family?’
Flae thought deeply for a moment ‘I must admit I’ve heard of them which already means a lot, but I couldn’t tell you if they were a revenge seeking lot…’
‘I know of the ‘Schuut or Drackens if you prefer’ said Fir having overheard what the conversation was about ‘They are one of the fiercest families of the eastern isles, you can take my word for it, my father sailed on one of their ships when a call to arms was called because a neighbouring isle had pillaged one of their Dracken fiefs in the Aael lands, I don’t think he ever got over what happened there...’ Fir walked away with a grand smile upon his face, he was truly quite a disturbing character. None of them knew him well as each of the crew knew each other. He had not spoken to many since they had left Schaem and had always been brooding in a corner. The few times that Tusk had tried to start a conversation to know him better Fir had cut his attempts short by ignoring or answering in short. During the process of raiding the village he had spoken, or shouted, more words then during the entire trip, he had also seemed the most eager at bloodshed and fighting. Tusk wondered what could possibly have happened to his half brother during his youth, it was highly probable he would never find out.

Although Fir was never nice to him he had always accepted his orders and thus Tusk ordered him to assemble the men to the boat.

As Tusk arrived followed by Golae and Flae, who had taken it upon themselves to accompany Tusk everywhere whilst they were still in the village, the ship was ready to depart. Quickly it was pulled into the sea and the men were paddling farther out to sea to the beat of Ulafs drums.

‘What direction shall we be taking captain?’ Oraet asked him.
‘Make sail to the west, let’s try to get as far away as possible before the drackens hear of this.’
‘We’re setting sail towards the west boys! Get that sail up and lets be on our way!’
The wolf’s head came to life upon the red background as the wind filled it up.

Back
Top Bottom