is this mod dead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Oh great.  Just great!  Someone just had to bring up the "D" word, didn't they? 

I wonder what do you all mean by "dead"? The main features were completed, now it has been bugfixed. What do you want anymore ? It's completed, feel free to play.

The Bowman said:
now it has been bugfixed [...] It's completed.

Yesterday, I ragequitted the game four times in a row, exactly because of TONS of bugs. Weirdo, but I used to play a lot and haven't noticed any, and nowadays I spot them everywhere. Some of them are minor, but some bugs like orders disappearance, or Drunkards sitting in the air, in the middle of the street, are impossible to ignore. Some of them just make the game impossible to play. If the creator claims that the mod is finished, he is way less ambitious than I thought.

Which does not change the fact that 1866 is the best SP mod for M&B series.

The creators, and everybody who worked on this mod, have lives of their own, and they release they mod for free. It's not that they no longer have incentive to work on the mod, but I can imagine it's hard to clock in a lot of work on it, especially since it's in such good shape. There are still bugs in the game, but one has to consider the history of releases and bugfixes, and look at the product we have now relative to earlier versions. I do hope for a future release, but all we can do is wait for word from the modders, and until then, enjoy the game. I'm pretty darn satisfied with the near-finished game we got from amateur (no offense intended!) developers.

TL;DR for the OP: maybe, but we can pray.

Well, I had to resurrect this awful topic because I noticed that yellowmosquito showed up after long time. I must admit that that put a smile on my face because(he's still alive  :razz:) hopefully he'll bring some good news for us about continuing his outstanding work. Locking this topic would be a good sign for all of us.
Oh, if anyone's interested here's the evidence:
Untitled.png

I had no idea my every move was being watched so closely.    :shock:

I'm sorry to break your heart, but there hasn't been any official progress on 1866 since April of 2011.  1866 isn't dead, just finished.

I've been working on 1866 since 2007.  Somewhere in 2010, our development pace slowed substantially, and the other main contributors were getting busy.  So I asked to take over 1866 from Highlander with the goal of bringing 1866 to its final state.  Nobody was really sure what "finished" was.  So I worked with the team to define a deliverable, and then I tried to get everyone on the project to finish and be responsible for their parts of the mod. When my parts were finished, I put as much time as I could into finishing up things for other people or working on many bugs that had no owners.  I know it sounds strange, but for the first time ever, our goal was to finish.

In the final version of 1866, we were able to get the vast majority of our wish list crossed off.  Sure, there are parts of the game that never became what we wanted them to, or bugs that we missed, and I apologize for those.  We just couldn't get everything, but we did our best. Despite those few issues, I'm very happy with what we were able to do.

I enjoyed working on 1866 more than any other software project I have ever been part of, and I still miss working on it.  It is a shame that we couldn't make money modding, because working on 1866 full time would be a dream come true for me.  In reality though, it just isn't possible for me to put more time into 1866 with my other jobs and responsibilities.  I gotta pay the bills and live my life, if you know what I'm saying.  I'm sure the other members on the team feel the same way.  It is very sad, but the time has come for me to move on to other projects.

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas, models, coding, artwork, music, feedback, inspiration, youtube videos, and anything else that kept development and/or us going.  I'd also like to give a big thank you to everyone who downloaded and played 1866.  I hope you really enjoyed it, and are still doing so.  :wink:

ym

Well, you know, since i installed this I always thought this was the most completed mod I ever played.

Congratulations sir; You haven't deserted the valiant people who keep playing classic M&B (because either they can't buy WB, their laptop is too slow for it or they just are sick of the bugs and stuff), you ignore the idiots howling about 'porting it to WB', and you deserve respect for that.

And another thing: the clothes and uniforms look great even on my laptop, which gives those of other mods ugly colours and turn steel into an ugly green (which also doesn't happen in your mod).

Applause, please!

@yellowmosquito What can I say, I'm very sorry things went that way. You are certainly right, this mod isn't dead nor will be. I think that people just wanted some continuation from somebody with such modding skills and ideas. All I can say is great thanks for your amazing work because I spent great time playing this mod and I still do.
Best of luck in your future work! :smile:

I agree, I really think this is one of the most complete mod I have played,
all the clothings, scenes and extra features are all top notch and feel
completed. Thank you so much for bringing 1866 to us.

However I just feel it is abit shallow on the gameplay side, especially the scales.
I think there is too little towns and lords. so when you gather a large enough
army or gangs, its quite easy to conquer the whole map, like the Indian factions
only have 1 town and 1 castle, so when you capture them, they are pretty much
done for.

I really think it is underwhelming, it would be great if there are more towns and
castles, especially on the indian side, and also more lords on the barren land to
make it more active. It can be just copy+paste of towns, so there will be more on
the map.

yellowmosquito said:

I'm sorry to break your heart, but there hasn't been any official progress on 1866 since April of 2011.  1866 isn't dead, just finished.

I've been working on 1866 since 2007.  Somewhere in 2010, our development pace slowed substantially, and the other main contributors were getting busy.  So I asked to take over 1866 from Highlander with the goal of bringing 1866 to its final state.  Nobody was really sure what "finished" was.  So I worked with the team to define a deliverable, and then I tried to get everyone on the project to finish and be responsible for their parts of the mod. When my parts were finished, I put as much time as I could into finishing up things for other people or working on many bugs that had no owners.  I know it sounds strange, but for the first time ever, our goal was to finish.

In the final version of 1866, we were able to get the vast majority of our wish list crossed off.  Sure, there are parts of the game that never became what we wanted them to, or bugs that we missed, and I apologize for those.  We just couldn't get everything, but we did our best. Despite those few issues, I'm very happy with what we were able to do.

I enjoyed working on 1866 more than any other software project I have ever been part of, and I still miss working on it.  It is a shame that we couldn't make money modding, because working on 1866 full time would be a dream come true for me.  In reality though, it just isn't possible for me to put more time into 1866 with my other jobs and responsibilities.  I gotta pay the bills and live my life, if you know what I'm saying.  I'm sure the other members on the team feel the same way.  It is very sad, but the time has come for me to move on to other projects.

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas, models, coding, artwork, music, feedback, inspiration, youtube videos, and anything else that kept development and/or us going.  I'd also like to give a big thank you to everyone who downloaded and played 1866.  I hope you really enjoyed it, and are still doing so.  :wink:

ym

:cry: No warband port I guess.  :cry:

Any chance you'll release the source code?  :grin:

CppCoder said:
yellowmosquito said:

ym

:cry: No warband port I guess.  :cry:

Any chance you'll release the source code?  :grin:
yea you may not be working on 1866 anymore but i'm sure there are other modders who would be more than happy to port this to warbamd. the mod has so much more potential with warband

*Clap*

Danm shame that its no longer worked on, but it is still, by far, the best mod for M&B.

Back
Top Bottom