ROCK Question and Answer Thread : Current

Users who are viewing this thread

ROCK Question and Answer Thread

transimg.png

Please post all of your questions concerning the ruleset here sighting the specific rule area you are referring to. Comments and concerns may also be placed here. 

Consider this a General ROCK Discussion area. Maintaining a cohearent point related to ROCK is mandatory.

TIP: The overall campaign is based on the concept of simplicity.  Remember that.
TIP: If it's not mentioned in the rules, it probably doesn't matter.
TIP: See Posting Rules and Guidelines if you are not sure if you should post something here.

Enjoy

I think a lot of people are mis-understanding something:

Teams have to register again, I believe.

Catholic said:
Q: What happens if we gain more members during the course of the campaign? Are we allowed to add them to our 'participants'?
Yes, for sure.  The "number of participants" in the registrations is twofold:
1. It gives us a way to ensure the factions are balanced at the start of the campaign.
2. It allows us to properly distribute the territories at the start of the campaign.

The scale in which territories are distributed has not been released to ensure a "pure" assumption of ones forces.  I would prefer registrants to go with a "minimum" mentality more than a "maximum" mentality.  Overall, imo, overinflating your numbers will hurt you more in the end than help you.  Somewhat of a "biting off more than you can chew"situation.

After the start of the campaign the "number of participants" is not really a factor as the "Battle Size Calculation" circumvents it.  Therefore, anyone that joins after the start is highly encouraged to participate in Engagements.

I've got some questions, firstly

'Garrison Armies
A lordship's army, or an ally army of the owner of a settlement, is allowed to garrison themselves in a settlement with no minimum/maximum amount of time.
Providing an army as garrison will circumvent a standard garrison in that settlement if an engagment were to occur there.
Villages are not available to garrison an army.'

What do you mean by the bold part?
What if a garrison already exists in a settlement in which an ally/lord wishes to station themselves?

Secondly,  regarding splitting one's troops.
You start with 2X 500 and are allowed to split them into 2X 250 - 250?
Or can I do things like 150 - 350? Also this means that we are only allowed to have two parts of each army, so in total 4 'sub-armies' if you like?

In terms of movement, you say its only quad-directional, does this mean a move diagonally is essentially the full movement order of 2? If so, maybe that should be addressed?

Another thing regarding raids. I read that an army or ally's army can move in and assist a raided village, if the village is within moving distance away. Does this mean the salvaging army cannot move on the next turn?

Finally, time constraint. How do you intend to deal with map time limits and will armor and equipment be mandated in every battle as per the upgrades purchased by a lordship?

Outlawed said:
'Garrison Armies
A lordship's army, or an ally army of the owner of a settlement, is allowed to garrison themselves in a settlement with no minimum/maximum amount of time.
Providing an army as garrison will circumvent a standard garrison in that settlement if an engagment were to occur there.

What if a garrison already exists in a settlement in which an ally/lord wishes to station themselves?
The bold part should be understood as follows: when an army garrisons a settlement, it substitutes the existing garrison. That way only the army fights when the settlement is attacked. But, the garrison reappears when the army leaves.
Outlawed said:
Or can I do things like 150 - 350? Also this means that we are only allowed to have two parts of each army, so in total 4 'sub-armies' if you like?
You can only split in half, i.e. 250+250. You can split both armies, so there could be as many as 4 sub-armies that way.
Outlawed said:
In terms of movement, you say its only quad-directional, does this mean a move diagonally is essentially the full movement order of 2?
Yes.
Outlawed said:
If so, maybe that should be addressed?
It was addressed in the rules.
Outlawed said:
Another thing regarding raids. I read that an army or ally's army can move in and assist a raided village, if the village is within moving distance away. Does this mean the salvaging army cannot move on the next turn?
The battle would be over by the next turn. You will have noone to help by then.
Outlawed said:
Finally, time constraint. How do you intend to deal with map time limits and will armor and equipment be mandated in every battle as per the upgrades purchased by a lordship?
I think the time limits are addressed in the custom module, but I'll let Mad Dawg provide a comment on that as well. The equipment in battle is determined by the army's current upgrade level. Essentially, there are troop types and equipment load-outs for every equipment tier. Those should be set-up properly in the server settings at the start of the battle.

Great questions.  Some good meat here to get us going.

I've got some questions, firstly

'Garrison Armies

The bold part of the rule explains that if a settlement is besieged that has an army in it, the army will fight the engagament itself with it's numbers.  Any stationary garrison that may have been in that settlement is circumvented by an armies prescence.  So it will not be (Army Size + Garrison) fighting, but just the army.
Any ally is able to move into an allies settlement.  This will be left to the overall gameplan of the faction itself.  The goal is to make every move strategic in nature of the end goal, not for a single lordship.

If you choose to split an army, it will be into two halves.  The split does not have to be right away either.  The rule states they may split at anytime.  So if the army is 300 troops after an engagment or two, you will make 2 armies with 150 troops each.
The most armies anyone will ever have is 4, so yes 4 'sub-armies' that represent half the numbers of the orginal army.

In terms of movement, you say its only quad-directional, does this mean a move diagonally is essentially the full movement order of 2? If so, maybe that should be addressed?
Yes, a diagnal move will be 2 grid squares to accompish.  We opted to keep the movement system standardized and simple to interpret so on four directions were utilized.  This really safeguards the lordships so nothing is missed and their full intent in the movement is recognized.

Essentially, that will be their movement for that turn cycle.  Because the turn is real-time, you will be able to see the attempted raid and the defending army respond with it's movement into that villages square.  Now I have considered the possibilty that a lordship may purposefully delay their movement post to make it difficult for a response.  The idea of a movement/counter movement deadline has been thought of an is still being deliberated.

Engagments are fought on TDM which gives a total of 120 minutes on one map.  I feel that is a large amount of time, especially if it is a large engagment with multiple armies which would mean 20-30 people per side.  If needed, the time could be coded up but as of now w/ the playtests we've done 120 seems sufficient for most situations.
Equipment will be coded in to the module and 0 money will be available during an engagement.  Only way to control 100% equipment tiers so that is the route we took.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.
The only thing that I have concerns about is salvaging a village as it is raided.
I think the army can ONLY help it if it hasn't declared a movement for that turn.

In terms of equipment, lets extrapolate on that, I'm assuming an infantry class will have some options in terms of weaponry? For example some throwing weapons and several one-handers, like a sword or axe for example? I'd like to see a tier system encompass several styles of play. I haven't seen any tiers, they aren't posted or am I just blind?

Outlawed said:
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.
The only thing that I have concerns about is salvaging a village as it is raided.
I think the army can ONLY help it if it hasn't declared a movement for that turn.
Correct. So if you think one of your armies might need to help a village, you should, probably, hold off moving it.
Outlawed said:
In terms of equipment, lets extrapolate on that, I'm assuming an infantry class will have some options in terms of weaponry? For example some throwing weapons and several one-handers, like a sword or axe for example? I'd like to see a tier system encompass several styles of play. I haven't seen any tiers, they aren't posted or am I just blind?
The equipment tiers are being finalized at this time. I don't know about the options for one-handed weaponry. I know that huskarls will have thrown axes, but not until 2-nd or 3-rd tier.

The Pizza said:
Is it necessary to be registered for ROCK in order to play the Curaw campaign? (Which looks awesome btw)

At this time the participation in the Curaw mini-campiagn is reserved for registrants of ROCK.  The purpose of the mini-campaign is to provide the backdrop for the full campaign as well as give clans an experience of what combat will be like in ROCK, which I will be making a thread about soon explaining the differences and the benefits for everyone.

So specific answer is yes, but I would hope clans would register for ROCK to particpate in ROCK and not the Curaw campaign. 
And if Curaw looks awesome ROCK is going to...ROCK!

MrNomNom said:
Query: Is 5 enough to not be a raiding party, and be a srs bsns lordship thang?
There's no requirement on the number of participants for being a Lordship. So, rules don't preclude you from registering as a Lordship with 5 players. As for playing the actual engagements and whether it's reasonable to have 5 players -- it's your call

Quoted from Registration Thread:
Ash Tre said:
What does this mean for Malion, since at least 2 or 3 members are in LES?
Due to the fact that Malion is a raiding party and the chances of them raiding a LES village is unlikely I have no issues with those members participating with both.  This is a specific exception for this situation and is not a rule in all occurances due to the possability for exploitation.  Please notify me of any other situations like this for a specific ruling.

The Pizza said:
Will we get a cavalry class to play as in the main Campaign?
Great question and yes, absolutely.  The cavalry was removed (except for Vaegirs) from Curaw to better fit the scenario of an invasion force.  Cavalry will be an available class to both factions from the start of the campaign and modified by equipment upgrades as all other troops.

Troop trees, equipment, and army compositions are all items in the work atm and hope to release information after this coming weekend.  We are looking into ways to introduce additional depth to strategies by designating army class composition.  It's a work in progress.

For cycling players out when one side has a greater number, when should this be done? Will there be any rules pertaining to this?

Any chance we can get pics of the castles/cities, or are they the same as in Singleplayer?

Also, can we get Curaw's spawn points fixed for the defenders so that we don't all start in the hall?

Are the non-city/castle/village squares going to be random plains for the map or are there scens made for these? If so, where can I find them?

If two armies meet on a village square, is that the scene on which the battle takes place?

When a lordship chooses to upgrade something, will everyone be informed (i.e. an update on here)?

About Sea movement, I'm totally lost as to how many turns it would take to cross a given number of Sea tiles. If an army wanted to cross 3-4 Sea tiles (consecutively), how many turns would that take?
Also pertaining to Sea tiles, how do we define a Sea tile? Several tiles have some amount of both land and sea in them.

Do we choose which tile our armies begin on? Are there rules for this?

Nice, here we go.
The Pizza said:
For cycling players out when one side has a greater number, when should this be done? Will there be any rules pertaining to this?
Can be done at anytime during the gameplay.  I would recommend devising a system saying when "X" player dies next, "Y" player comes in with "X" player dropping.  Just a suggestion though.

Any chance we can get pics of the castles/cities, or are they the same as in Singleplayer?
In there current state, they are the same scene as Singleplayer.

Also, can we get Curaw's spawn points fixed for the defenders so that we don't all start in the hall?
That was purposeful in it's intent.  As it's your settlement now you may place the defender spawns anywhere you would like.  Defenders place spawns 0-7.  Attacker spawns, on that map at least, are in a nominal position.
They were all placed in the hall, or "keep", to eliminate the randomness of the Siege gamemode where someone you just killed does not spawn behind an attacker which is not a logical path.  Really I feel just a 1-2 minute "parlay" period at the beginning would offset any thoughts that the spawns are too far to defend the front walls.

Are the non-city/castle/village squares going to be random plains for the map or are there scens made for these? If so, where can I find them?
Rural lands will non-random plains with characteristics of the grid square.  That means a grid square with a large amount of trees will be represented by an in game scene that is more or less a forest.  I'm not looking to implement too many, if any, "custom maps" with structure or advantage points.  Singleplayer and the way it spawns maps similar to the area you are (usually) is the intent.  That way if an army falls back to a mountainous area for an advantage, they get it.

If two armies meet on a village square, is that the scene on which the battle takes place?
Yes.  Also raiding parties raiding a village will take place on that villages scene similar to Ismirala Village in the Curaw Campaign.

When a lordship chooses to upgrade something, will everyone be informed (i.e. an update on here)?
There will be a "ROCK Turn Thread" in place where a standardized turn posting form will be made to make all movements & declarations.  This was honestly the hardest thing to "foresee" in it's implementation when devising the ruleset.  The form will simple, yet detailed, and make every move that a lordship makes very purposeful of their wishes.  An example will be the movement, if you wish to move two squares you will list both of the squares, not just "Army moves from G-7 to G-9" as if there are settlements or other there I may miss your intent of making that move.  I want to represent the lordships movement and turn decisions exactly to what you want to do.

About Sea movement, I'm totally lost as to how many turns it would take to cross a given number of Sea tiles. If an army wanted to cross 3-4 Sea tiles (consecutively), how many turns would that take?
Also pertaining to Sea tiles, how do we define a Sea tile? Several tiles have some amount of both land and sea in them.
Posting from the ruleset for clarity.
- Sea Movement
  • Armies are allowed to move by sea, from any square adjacent to the main body of water to any other square adjacent to the main body of water.
  • Moving by sea will cause the armies movement to be delayed 1 turn cycle.
  • Inland rivers and tributaries are not concidered as the main body of water, and are therefore not accessable by sea movement.
  • An army that has successfully completed a sea movement must wait a period of 2 turn cycles before performing another sea movement.
Simply put you may move from any square that borders the Argud Bay (main body of water) to any other square with the same border.  That movment will take place 1 turn cycle after you announce the movement. 
Example: You could move your army from F-9 to F-16.  You annouce it on Turn 3 and your army will land in F-16 on Turn 5, so 1 Turn was waited while the army traveled.  In this example, you moved 7 grid squares which would take 4 turns to accomplish by land.

As far as what is a Sea tile, if the Sea touches the land in that square, it's acceptable as a Sea Tile.  As stated in the rules, rivers do not allow you continue your travel so you are limited to those squares that directly border Argud Bay.

Do we choose which tile our armies begin on? Are there rules for this?
That is actually part of the 10% not finished on the ruleset.  The map and it's details has been one of those things you have to see to understand the full implecations of the rules partaining to it.  The leading concept for this at the moment is allowing a lordship to start their army/armies in any grid square that they control.  I think that will add a depth of strategy to the opening moves and make it fair to the lordships.

Great questions.

Stupid question-

Are the battles being fought require all the clans to participate in? Or are the battles fought by whomever the invaders are, and what clan the defenders are?

Back
Top Bottom