C3C troop trees

Users who are viewing this thread

So a look at the breakdown for troops and their progression through each faction's various trees.

Increase in number reflects generally an increase in quality, and certainly cost, where "1" is cheapest and "5" most expensive. Troop tree 1 is recruitable in 'villages' to all factions, and trees 2-5 are exclusive to faction only.

Roman Empire
====================================================================
1. Auxilia Peditatus      --> Auxilia Peditatus Salararius.

2. Auxilia Sagittarius    --> Auxilia Sagittarius Salararius.
                                  \ --> Auxilia Arcuballistatus

3. Legio  lanciarius        --> Legio lanciarius Salararius

4. Legio  milites            --> Legio milites Salararius        -->  Cohors Praetoria

5. Legio  Speculatores  --> Equites Promotus                --> Equites Contarius
                                    \ --> Equites sagittarius

Gallic Empire
1. Foederati Peditatus  --> Foederati Peditatus Decanus

2. Foederati Verutatus  --> Foederati Sagittarius
                                  \ --> Foederati Verutatus Decanus

3. Legio lanciarius        --> Legio  lanciarius Salararius

4. Legio  milites            --> Legio  milites Salararius      -->  Cohors Praetoria

5. Foederati Equites      --> Foederati Equites Ala
                                    \ --> Foederati Equites Verutatus

Palmyrene Empire
Auxilia Numerus          --> Auxilia Numerus Decanus
                                  \--> Auxilia Numerus fundatores

Auxilia Sagittarius        --> Auxilia Sagittarius Salararius.
                                  \--> Auxilia arcuballistatus

Legio lanciarius            --> Legio  lanciarius Salararius 

Legio  milites                --> Legio  milites Salararius 

Equites Promotus        --> Equites Contarius                -->  Equites Clibanarii
                                  \ --> Equites sagittarius             

Sassanid Empire
Paighan                      -->  Paighan-Salar

Paighan Takabara        -->  Takabara                            -->  Takabara asabari
                                  \-->  Sang andaz

Kamandaran                -->  Kamandaran-Salar

Dailamites                    -->  Dailamites-Salar

Savaran                      -->  Savaran-Spahbod                -->  Savaran Grivpanvar
                                  \-->  Sardar                                -->  Sardar-Spahbod

ealabor said:
Some adjustments made to Rome, as well the addition of the Gallic tree which is essentially similar minus a few things.

would you concider adding club-men to the Roman roster. They were used in many wars at the time; from the slightly earlier Dacian wars. Very effective in the Parthians wars and played an important part against the Cataphracts of Zenobia. In the Parthian and the War against Zenobia they served as an anti-cav unit, crushing the bones beneath the armour. Ill forward u sources if u wish.

Rhomphaia said:
Ill forward u sources if u wish.

Yeah I have no idea what those are, so i'd definitely need some info on them.

I think I recall reading about some tall Palestinians with 2 handed clubs used against cataphracts or something, but that's about it.

Please i would like to ask what is the meaning of salar/salararius in the troop trees? It means something like paid?

And for the two handed club man - it sounds ridiculous but if it is historical then it can make for some interesting feature/ refreshment. Looking forward to sources of Rhompaia..

Good luck and much energy Ealabor :smile:

sirmic said:
Please i would like to ask what is the meaning of salar/salararius in the troop trees? It means something like paid?

It's a soldier that's served term and reinlisted with the army usually with a salary rather than a stipend, which is what raw recruits are given.

So essentially another word for a seasoned veteran.

sirmic said:

And for the two handed club man - it sounds ridiculous but if it is historical then it can make for some interesting feature/ refreshment. Looking forward to sources of Rhompaia..

Good luck and much energy Ealabor :smile:

Battle of Edessa

Finding the Palmyrene army drawn up before Emisa, amounting to seventy thousand men, consisting of Palmyrenes and their allies, he (Aurelian) opposed to them the Dalmatian cavalry, the Moesians and Pannonians, and the Celtic legions of Noricum and Rhaetia, and besides these the choicest of the imperial regiment selected man by man, the Mauritanian horse, the Tyaneans, the Mesopotamians, the Syrians, the Phoenicians, and the Palestinians, all men of acknowledged valour; the Palestinians besides other arms wielding clubs and staves.At the commencement of the engagement, the Roman cavalry receded, lest the Palmyrenes, who exceeded them in number, and were better horsemen, should by some stratagem surround the Roman army. But the Palmyrene cavalry pursued them so fiercely, though their ranks were broken, that the event was quite contrary to the expectation of the Roman cavalry. For they were |27 pursued by an enemy much their superior in strength, and therefore most of them fell. The foot had to bear the brunt of the action. Observing that the Palmyrenes had broken their ranks when the horse commenced their pursuit, they wheeled about, and attacked them while they were scattered and out of order. Upon which many were killed, because the one side fought with the usual weapons, while those of Palestine brought clubs and staves against coats of mail made of iron and brass. The Palmyrenes therefore ran away with the utmost precipitation, and in their flight trod each other to pieces, as if the enemy did not make sufficient slaughter; the field was filled with dead men and horses, whilst the few that could escape took refuge in the city. Zosimus (1.52-53)

Battle of Turin, Roman Clubmen used to break the Clibanarii of Maxentian. Latin Panegyrics 4.22-4., 12.6.2-7.2

Battle of Singara Roman Clubman used against Persian Heavy Cataphracts. Libanius, Orations 59.110 (Explains how clubmen fough) :grin:

Here is Gravestone pic of Greek conscripted into Roman Army during the 3rd Century AD and fought agaisnt the Parthians:
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/stories/imagebase/FirstnameM/lg_MarcusAureliusAlexis.jpg
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/stories/imagebase/FirstnameM/lg_MarcusAureliusAlexisd2.jpg

Hope this confirms their use.

Ahh yeah, so it is the Palestinians. I think in the least they will be a mercenary unit.

His equipment is all discernable save the headpiece (if it is one), so there shouldn't be able problems replicating it.

Good ole blunt-force trauma to crack heavy armor.

Yes, they really seem to have been Rome's answer to the heavy cavalry of the east. They were still used a century later as an anti-cav unit by rome and it is clear they were not just a one time thing.

There seems to have been many nationalaties who were used as clubmen. Germans used them throughout there extensive history. Germans were used as clubmen in the Dacian wars and many fought in the 3rd Century as mercs and surely some must have used clubs as German mercs are attested even in the next century as clubmen. Examples and dipictions can be found on Trajan's colum.

The only sources I have seen about Germans using clubs are during the 1st Century A.D. and earlier.  Trajan's column does show German, namely Suebi, warriors...but the only ones I have seen on it were captives (both in photos and in person while in Rome, though admittedly the thing was tall and I couldn't see all of it from the bottom).

Sources or it didn't happen :wink:.  Honestly by the period of this mod clubs would have been rather rare indeed, except maybe in the hands of the extremely poor...but even they would probably have opted for the spear.

ealabor said:
Ahh yeah, so it is the Palestinians. I think in the least they will be a mercenary unit.

His equipment is all discernable save the headpiece (if it is one), so there shouldn't be able problems replicating it.

Good ole blunt-force trauma to crack heavy armor.
I don't wanna get all political, but the word "Palestinian" didn't exist before the 20th century. At the time the battle took place the area was still inhabited mostly by Jews.

The Word Palestine has its origins far earlier than than the 20th Century. There are several texts in ancient Egyptian from the 12th Century BC making mention of Peleset people from the region. This was adopted and used in some for or another from one nation to the next. Herodotus used it, the Assyrians before him and Rome eventually adopted it as well in the Latin form of Palaestina. Even the Hebrew Bible makes mention of the word as far as I can remember.

Rhomphaia said:
The Word Palestine has its origins far earlier than than the 20th Century. There are several texts in ancient Egyptian from the 12th Century BC making mention of Peleset people from the region. This was adopted and used in some for or another from one nation to the next. Herodotus used it, the Assyrians before him and Rome eventually adopted it as well in the Latin form of Palaestina. Even the Hebrew Bible makes mention of the word as far as I can remember.
Peleshet and Palestine are two different things. Paleshet was pretty small and only included Gaza, Ashkelon, Ashdod and Gat. Its people, the Philistine, spoke an Hellenic language. The word Palestine was used since the 2nd century AD (long after the bible was written obviously), but the word Palestinian wasn't used to describe non Jewish residents of Palestine until the 20th century. One of the first uses of the word was by Immanuel Kant who called the European Jews "Palestinians living among us."

Back
Top Bottom