Arming your own troops? Hm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zerohour123

Regular
Dont any of you think its kinda strange how your own troops seem to find what they need to find what is according to their tier.
Sure its good. But sometimes in battle situations (such as horsemen) 1 out of 4 troops would have a spear. Or so few of your troops has a shield or any decent equipment. Heres my suggestion.

Each troop should be treated like a hero. (dialog, equipment exchange) Take off the tier tree and buying troops at the pub or bar w/e would be just be called. "Soldier" or "mercanary" or whatever, maybe "drunkard" to give it more feel in a tavern. And in your party line (list) You be able to customize your troops accordingly like a hero.

But from what I see in theory and in gameplay. This equipment exhange and leveling up would affect the whole categoried troop.

But would it be possible to seperate and organize troops in your party line. Like you have 10 farmers. There should be a shift+Lclick combo to seperate the group into 2 groups. Farmers 1 and 2. Then you'll able to customize them like I said above. And rename them to what you want them to be.

But theres a trick to that. Say you have 10 soldiers and you are hunting down knights or khergit horsemen. You need spearmen badly. So you have 10 troops and you split them into 2, half n half. Catergories them into Spearman and swordsmen. Both are in 5s. They are all unequiped to your specifcations. So heres the lil trick. If you talk to them and give him 1 spear. Only 1 guy in that group would have 1 spear. So for 5 guys you need to buy 5 spears and place them into the inventory of the guy that you talking to in your party list.

Leveling up is going to be a ***** because its gonna effect the whole troop party.

I might of talked about spears and spearmen alot but thats not what I was going for. And spearman was the only thing that could pop in my head at 9am :razz:

Correct me if any of this makes anysense at all please.

This has been suggested many times. I personally agree with you, as the current system doesn't make much sense. It would make the game more balanced in terms of your party upkeep.

EDIT: this should really go in the suggestions forum.

Like they said, Its been discussed quite a bit.  Seems the general consensus was that it just wouldn't work.  It would be too much of a hastle, since most people who build armies go for at least 50+ troops, and that would be a real pain (nearly impossible) to keep them all equipped.  There needs to be a new system, but not one where you personally equip each troop. 

Leveling up is going to be a ***** because its gonna effect the whole troop party.

Yep...  I posted on this about a year ago, and my suggestion was simply to be able to upgrade troops with new equipment setups or level them to new tiers as the player saw fit.  For instance, using your spearmen example, you could train footmen in the use of a spear, 1h sword, 2hand sword, etc. at level up.  Or, you could just level them to the next tier altogether which increases their optional weapons, the weapon quality, as well as the character stats.  If you train a footmen in the use of 2h swords and then in spears on the next level up, you can pick which you want them to be before each battle.  Just my thoughts...

Well, a Medeival knight had to equip few cavalrymen and dozens of infantry and archers? I can see no reason why we are worse.

rider said:
Well, a Medeival knight had to equip few cavalrymen and dozens of infantry and archers? I can see no reason why we are worse.

I doubt much can pay 100 plate/mailes allone, personnaly i wouldn't have much trouble with it (no, i don't cheat) but it would indeed be a pain in the ass.

The best idea in my opinion is to be able to tell your troops what to use: Spears, sword/mace + shield, 2 hander and bows or javelins for ranged.

The only drawback would be that some would have better stats in some weapons and i don't feel like checking that, if this would be possible however, the game would become incredebly easy.

I personnaly agree with the splitting idea tho.
If you have 50 knights, you will prolly put them on top, result, you have only knights, and no option to put a second unit, like bownmen (according you don't have mega-high battle size) so you would have something like the following:

20 knights
20 bownmen
30 knights

Resulting that 20 knights and bowmen will pop up and the other knights later/on the next battle.

This would give the game a good twist in my opinion  :smile:

Why not just have a set loadout for troops rather than the pseudo random system we have now?

Might actually be a nice way to differentiate more between the factions - Swadians having specific equipment dependent on type, Vaegir's having a slightly looser loadout and the rest keeping the pseudo random system.

Ya arming your troops would be cool, but as others said quite a hassel..What would be nice is if you could have a house shield or color automatically given to your men that way you could pick them out in a battle. It annoys me when they blend in with friendly soldiers...

hey, yeh would be cool and if you could maybe totally customise them but maybe design one man (give him his armour and weapons etc) then do a "set to all" or something so that your men used that specific weaponry etc...

Didn't Winter come up with a Troop called Retainer (think it was called that) in Craftmod which allowed you to outfit it as you saw fit?  As for affording the armours and weapons, that wouldn't be a problem, the problem would be obtaining the armours and weapons.

rezzle said:
Didn't Winter come up with a Troop called Retainer (think it was called that) in Craftmod which allowed you to outfit it as you saw fit?  As for affording the armours and weapons, that wouldn't be a problem, the problem would be obtaining the armours and weapons.

whoa thats pretty cool

Theres another thread on this forum called 'Tabards and your own heraldry' which is talking about making your own colours and coat of arms to distinguish men from your enemies. I think its a very good idea.
I dont think buying equipment and armour for each troop is at all feasable. I like some troops to be randomly outfitted such as knights because in medieval times only warriors that had distinguished themselves in battle would be knighted and they would have been allowed to have first pick at the armoury so they should be given weopons as they are now. Archers and crossbowmen are outfitted fairly similarly anyway so i dont see any need for change, i like my troops to look a bit different with helms and armour. However I see your point about outfitting infantry; spearmen, one-hand and shield and two-handed infantry are very different on the battlefield. when facing archers you need a shield, vs cavlary spears or two handers fare better and against infantry two handers own. I suggest not outfitting your own troops but altering the troop advancement tree for foot soldiers.
example for vaegir's:

- vaegir spearman                - vaegir elite spearmen
vaegir peasant - vaegir footman - vaegir veteran - vaegir ?defenders?            - vaegir elite ?defenders?
                                                                  - vaegir two-handed infantry  - vaegir elite two-handed infantry

Also I think you should choose which soldiers enter the battle to start with and which troops are reinforcements
- Stratus

stratusfear said:
I like some troops to be randomly outfitted such as knights because in medieval times only warriors that had distinguished themselves in battle would be knighted and they would have been allowed to have first pick at the armoury so they should be given weopons as they are now.

I fear a historical debate of biblical proportions is on the way  :???:

On topic: it sounds like a good idea on paper, but in practice it would a problem, tough i do like the idea of creating different setups that you can apply on your soldiers, that would be cool, kohan had a system like that, but it was a different kind of game.

Yeah. I can see the hassel being a leader and aways arming your own troops. But military leaders back then always have to maintain their troops to be ready for will come to them on the battlefield? I dont really know that. Just a guess from what I hear and read. Im no historian. And I guess noone else is in these forums. Lol. Anways.

But You can obtain weapons in many cases. Making your own. (craftsman mod) Have your troops make their own.(party chat, under a random d6 roll if it would work) Pillage and hope to come accross some. Or somehow code a item called "Bundle of ____s" that merchants sell or smiths and when you give that to that troop they will right away they will all obtain it.

But then again. This game is still underconstruction and getting better and better within each update.

I have to say im not a fan. I think it would affect the 'pick up and play' elements of the game. As a newb, wanting to upgrade your peasants to footmen but not being aboue to buy 20 axes would be disheartening. I think that leaving the spoils of war where it was by not looting everything means that your men would take it. For me it seems that men upgrade more when i don't take all the higher level loot from a battle, leaving some good armours, horses and weapons. Of course the reason for this is that they get far more xp from a battle that would give good loot than from one that doesn't.

I'm afraid i don't like too many choices about upgrades either, having to have 30 different groups in your army because you have some spearmen, some swordsmen etc would be annoying. What would happen if all your spearmen died? I doubt that other troops couldn't use spears instead. I like the random mix you get, your men are using what they've got.

Maybe there should be an option, or some cost involved somewhere to upgrade troops how you like but i prefer it like it is. Think of all the loot you don't take as going to your men.

Anyway, my troops just happen to be there, it's not like its them who's cracking all the faces with war axes and morning stars.

ok so maybe u wouldnt have to buy them per say maybe they would buy it but you could hint at them to buy that type of weapon, then they do it or not...

It would be nice to create your own units with equipment, tabards, colors, flags and so on.
You create a man. Then you give him a padded leather armor, a short and fast spear, a shield, a skullcap and some nomad boots. After this, you can chose a crest or some colors for the armour and the shield and you name him "Armoured Seargent". Some copying work and you have your own troop. It should be also possible to train and improve your men, so they become better with their equipment and gain new levels and better stats, which would add some roleplaying elements. Might be difficult to implement, but I don't know a game which gives the player such possibilities.

One thing I think would be good if you had to give you men money along with the normal amount to diecide what weapons they had, i.e more money given would equal good weapons, armor ect, no extra money would egqual a rusty dagger.

Back
Top Bottom