OSP Musket Era Animations Realistic musket animations (main post updated with latest release)

Users who are viewing this thread

Old version:

Hell my fellow modding community. After countless hours of animating and python editing I've finally managed to finish my new musket animations.
These animations aim to be a more realistic counterpart to the existing m&b animations, the biggest difference being that the musket is now held in the left hand (which makes more sense, seeing the left hand supports most of the weight). The musket is not held near the trigger but instead under the barrel.

Download:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/24202640/RanGer_animations.rar (Dead link)

Mirror:
https://www.mediafire.com/?be6yjt20m0yfl05

Also, some people have been trying to contact me over PM to help them get this to work. Sorry, I don't have time to work with every person individually. Just look at this thread for answers. If you still don't find them then ask and someone here will probably help you.

Well enough talk, let me just show you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjcfEBmoQ4

Troops using them in battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2VBzgHREU

This video shows the 4 new animations (read description under the video for more). Obviously they're not finished. The movement should be sharper (I may have to redo the reload animation) and the legs shouldn't be completely static. But considering this was my first try at animation they turned out quite well.

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20833666/Musket+Animations+Pack+v1.1.rar

Any constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Sayd Ûthman said:
That looks good, you need more working on the legs though :razz:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking how to animate the legs. It's not as easy, animating something that's not supposed to move (soldiers were drilled to stay in line and not to move unless ordered to). So any animation I do make must be subtle to make it look realistic.

Anyway, moving on. Improved the animations a bit, still trying to figure out how to start on the running animations (not quite sure which running animations do crossbows use, I'm thinking the ones for staffs?).

Also, made a video showcasing the new animations in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2VBzgHREU

Animating legs is really hard, i tried once but you can try the way Mb animations are done (moving the foot's bone a bit forward), by the way may i ask you what software you use and also do you use mount and blade skeletons ?? i am really interested on that please

If you're using 3ds Max. Do a basic IK from the upper leg to the feet.
So you can place the markers in the final position and the legs will bend in a natural way instead of doing it manually by keying.

Cool Youtube Tutorial:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSjp_fXaqXY

And yes, I also do animation. :smile:

Docm30 said:
Looking good.

I'd like to use these in my mod when you release them---they're a lot better than the botch jobs I made.

And I'm fairly certain crossbows do use the staff run animations.

Thanks. And sure, use them as you wish :smile:

Belendor said:
This is awesome.

Thank you :smile:

Sayd Ûthman said:
Animating legs is really hard, i tried once but you can try the way Mb animations are done (moving the foot's bone a bit forward), by the way may i ask you what software you use and also do you use mount and blade skeletons ?? i am really interested on that please

I use Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 from Autodesk. It's a free program. And yes, I also use the M&B skeletons. As far as the animating process is concerned, I play out all my animations out first using my own body. I repeat them over a dozen of times, so I know which bones are moving. For an example, I used a broom to play out the reload animations religiously, with my girlfriend looking at me with a twisted smile on her face and my dog thinking I've gone insane :grin:.

Swyter said:
If you're using 3ds Max. Do a basic IK from the upper leg to the feet.
So you can place the markers in the final position and the legs will bend in a natural way instead of doing it manually by keying.

Cool Youtube Tutorial:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSjp_fXaqXY

And yes, I also do animation. :smile:
Thanks, but I do not have 3ds max. I guess I'm stuck to keying (it's not that bad though, just needs a little effort to make it look realistic).

I'm planning to release the animations soon (should be a few days). I was hoping to finish them today, but then my social life got in the way (I really should get rid of it). Also, note: with the way these animations are made, anyone wanting to use them in their mod will have to change their musket meshes. You will have to move the musket down the z axis (I think, might be x) and import it again into your brf. It's an easy process, but might take an hour or 2 if you have a lot of muskets (and LODs for them).

Well then, back to researching 18th century warfare.

hmmm, Thats really rather good, I may have to 'borrow' it for my mod, have you considered making an animation for like a breechloading gun? or a muzzle loading rifle?
if yes, you are amazing,
Thanks
Rhudda,

Duke Daniel Milutin said:
Amazing. This will be a must for every mod with musketts for sure. Too bad this animation can't be used in a WW2 mod.

Thanks. It's true they can't be used for ww2 weapons, but it would be easy to make new animations for ww2 weapons using this system. I've been thinking about this actually, how I could make animations for a bolt rifle. It would be simple, I would add the animations of bolting to the end of the fire animation (so every time you'd fire you would also automatically bolt the rifle afterwards) and make a separate animation for reloading. Semi automatic and automatic weapons would be even easier, and each weapon could have it's own specific reloading animation.

Rhudda Ar Clogyn Barfau said:
hmmm, Thats really rather good, I may have to 'borrow' it for my mod, have you considered making an animation for like a breechloading gun? or a muzzle loading rifle?
if yes, you are amazing,
Thanks
Rhudda,

Thank you. Yes I have been thinking of making animations for a muzzle loading rifle. Haven't given much thought to breechloading guns until now (since they don't really overlap with flintlock muskets time-wise) but I might animate them in the future.

Now then, moving on. Finally managed to make the new running animations and pack everything together for my first release.
So here it is:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20833666/Musket+Animations+Pack+v1.1.rar

Instruction on how to implement the muskets are in the readme file. Please, as always, I'd appreciate constructive criticism, so that I may improve upon it.

Enjoy

Docm30 said:
Thanks for these, they look great.

I was wondering if you plan to make horseback versions, as those would be enormously useful to my mod.

Thanks.
Yeah, eventually I'm gonna have to make those too. That and animations for carbines, rifles and a new reload animation for longer muskets.

Refleax said:
Nicely done!

Thank you.

More coming soon. Taking a little break from animating now (focusing on 3d modeling and texturing atm). I'll be back on track in a few days to make a new animation pack for the above mentioned animations.

Sayd Ûthman said:
Hey you don't need to make new ones for horses, if you put the right flags in the animation tuple it will be done automatically
Yeah but those look weird. You don't reload and fire a weapon on a horse the same way you would on ground (ideally you wouldn't even reload it on a horse and would rather dismount to do so). If I'm going to make it look realistic I need to figure out how stable (or unstable) you are on a horse while reloading let's say a carbine. It's been like 11 years since I've last ridden a horse though. I guess I'll have to use my dog for testing :razz:.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Grand job. I like the way the muskets slowly drop to the position, and then fire :smile:

Thanks. It will look epic once I make a script for volley fire and implement formations. Imagine 30 or 40 troops in 3 lines all presenting and firing their muskets on your command.

Also, I'm working on bolt action rifle animations if anyone is interested. I've found my old kar98 mesh that I did about 2 years ago and it inspired me to do some animations for it.

I like it.

As for foot/leg movement, firing stance would be left foot forward obviously, from that it's to feet parallel for the handling of the cartridge and priming, and then a slight (or more pronounced) turn to the left when charging and ramming the barrel, then back to parallel for shouldering arms and making ready... some drills might even incorporate a fully side-on stance for the loading of the barrel, i.e. right foot forward all the way, in an opposite of the shooting stance.
All this is assuming a fairly standard 18th century flintlock in military use...

What'd be really neat would be an alternative "light infantry/hunting" reload animation (also usable for rifles), in which the barrel is loaded first, and then the pan is primed with separate priming powder...

Back
Top Bottom