The Peloponnesian War - Open Alpha Test Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Lynores

Baron
  • I will be listing some of the things that need to be tested. I haven't tested it a lot, just enough to see that its working, so I'll rely on the community for feedback on some key features.

What I need, first and foremost:

Feedback on:

Combat
    Sieges
    Scripts
    Diplomacy and POBD checks to see if they're fully working - They were for me, but maybe I have missed something.

Is there any way to get the phalanx formation fighting?
What I  use to do Attacking is:
1º form the phalanx
2º follow me
3º charge , when both factions are close but they break the phalanx and charge as individual units

When I´m defending:
1º form the phalanx
2º follow me
3º Hold the position. but I see they don´t attack as a phalanx, if cavalry charges for example...they attack one by one.

The map is enormous. It's excellent. Love it. The factions look great too. I also like how you included different skins for new characters. Good attention to detail.
I have to wonder how the persians will be able to take on the greeks, considering their huge distance. This isn't so much of a problem when you consider that they will fight each other, though, and by the time there's only one left the player will most likely have a kingdom of his own so I'm not worried.

One issue is with the Diplomacy mod. I'm getting spammed with pages and pages of people declaring war or peace or defensive pacts every single day. I spend more time clicking through them than it takes to fight bandits.

tenerife_boy said:
Is there any way to get the phalanx formation fighting?
What I  use to do Attacking is:
1º form the phalanx
2º follow me
3º charge , when both factions are close but they break the phalanx and charge as individual units

When I´m defending:
1º form the phalanx
2º follow me
3º Hold the position. but I see they don´t attack as a phalanx, if cavalry charges for example...they attack one by one.

Put your phalanx near the other one (I mean, really close) and put it in hold, then profit.

Or lead the to the other phalanx, the fighting with phalanx isn't very fast when in formation, so the one that charges will make chaos in the formation anyway.

Anyway, I find the changes in the weapons really great, they now feel like weapons and not wood clubs, they are deadly finally! ;D

Its not diplomacy mod's fault, since it was designed for vanilla. The problem is the number of factions here, it adds for a ton of notices. I've tested a bit myself today, theyre annoying me too. I'll see if I make them system messages instead of menus.

Theyre set a bit higher because of the recommended battle size mod, as I've mentioned below the specs. Should work well in standard WB specs with vanilla battlesizes.

Lynores said:
Theyre set a bit higher because of the recommended battle size mod, as I've mentioned below the specs. Should work well in standard WB specs with vanilla battlesizes.
Eh well im playing on an I3 laptop not much to look at.

Some quick comments so far:

The nearly daily scroll of a page+ of diplomacy messages gets old fast; a way to either turn that off or tone down the frequency would be nice.  (but already known apparently)

Weapon lengths for the various 1-hand slash/stab weapons seem a little too short; also not real sure about only having the overhand spear attack animation.
There seems to be something a bit odd with the attack+shield animations, a combination of just not looking right and me apparently not blocking when I think I have.
NPC spear bracing seems a little too effective, but possibly just because nearly everyone has one.
Combat overall seems a little too quick - 1-2 hit kills or be killed even with ~30-40pt armor seems off.

Purely as an appearance thing, boots/sandals with the greaves would be nice :smile:

The nearly daily scroll of a page+ of diplomacy messages gets old fast; a way to either turn that off or tone down the frequency would be nice.  (but already known apparently)

Agreed, will be addressed.

Weapon lengths for the various 1-hand slash/stab weapons seem a little too short;

These will be altered a bit, but they won't have much longer reach, and one specific sword will have an even shorter one, as its historical counterpart.

also not real sure about only having the overhand spear attack animation.
There seems to be something a bit odd with the attack+shield animations, a combination of just not looking right and me apparently not blocking when I think I have.

Shield bash complements that. With it, its possible to scrap the sword altogether if the player wishes. During attack, the shield blocks missiles which are possibly the main threat for a hoplite in this mod. Spear swinging along with the thrust as in warband is obviously out of the question for a phalanx mod. That would just look silly during phalanx fighting and not accurate at all. Its possible to implement some regular spears for the player though.

NPC spear bracing seems a little too effective, but possibly just because nearly everyone has one.

Actually, there is no spear bracing, as that is scripted to polearms, and the spears are onehanded. They actually strike the horses naturally.

Combat overall seems a little too quick - 1-2 hit kills or be killed even with ~30-40pt armor seems off.

Agreed, it really is a bit too hardcore. I intend to tone that down a bit.

Purely as an appearance thing, boots/sandals with the greaves would be nice

Two reasons here:
1. Fights often happened on barefeet for greeks.
2. Adding sandals would either require a mesh (which is already in there but increases polycount and lag), or a textured one, which I couldn't really be bothered to do, since it wouldn't look as good. There are modeled sandals and combinations of it with the greaves at the armorers.

That was a long one.  :lol:
Thanks for the input.

After playing for quite a bit..
- Hoplites really could have a side weapon, like a small sword, just so they're not screwed when they start to get piled up.

- There are some desnecessary colours in some armors, like a really really strong purple that makes your eyes hurt.
Personally I think the only standard colours should be black, that shaded yellow and black.

- Armors should be different from region to region. (More armor designs)

- There should be some armored horses.

- Bandits shouldn't have those Hoplite-like armors and shields >.<

Apart of that, the mod is pretty sweet. The various formations of the hoplites work perfectly against enemies that are charging against you, I didn't think they'd attack as a Phalanx. They don't lower their spear, but they impale it against their enemies, they fall like butter.
There could be more bandits :razz: I rarely find them now, and I'm not at the point of fighting actual armies yet (I don't like cheating so I can get a crapton of troops, gold and experience, no fun in that).
By the way, is it just me, or does anyone else also keep crashing when trying to fight on sea?

Edit: Are the sieges different in this mod? Just wondering.

Nothing to complaing about, although the the Diplomacy goes way too fast, 1 day it's war and the next it's a truce...
How can you campaign with that?

Komemnos said:
Nothing to complaing about, although the the Diplomacy goes way too fast, 1 day it's war and the next it's a truce...

I'll have to test this. Thanks for the report.

Lynores said:
Komemnos said:

I'll have to test this. Thanks for the report.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but at the mod preferences mostly everything is set to low (activity)

Back
Top Bottom