The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1284.jpg

1882.jpg

"... while new hats were authorized, with black plumes of cock feathers. The bow or cockade was of the same ribbon as under the previous reign, with an embroidered gold buttonhole, and with two small silver tassels in the corners, fastened to the ends of a silver cord or length of lace in which, as in the tassels themselves, was intermixed black and orange silk. The hat was prescribed to be 9 5/8 inches tall in front, 10 1/2 inches in back, and the distance from the crown to the corners - 5 1/4 inches (Illus. 1283 and 1284)."

1297_1298.jpg

1889.jpg

"... there were introduced for generals and field and company-grade officers of Grenadier regiments hats with a buttonhole loop of narrow gold galloon, of the pattern previously used on shoulder straps, and with a tall plume (Illus. 1297-:cool:."

Bluehawk said:
1284.jpg

1882.jpg

"... while new hats were authorized, with black plumes of cock feathers. The bow or cockade was of the same ribbon as under the previous reign, with an embroidered gold buttonhole, and with two small silver tassels in the corners, fastened to the ends of a silver cord or length of lace in which, as in the tassels themselves, was intermixed black and orange silk. The hat was prescribed to be 9 5/8 inches tall in front, 10 1/2 inches in back, and the distance from the crown to the corners - 5 1/4 inches (Illus. 1283 and 1284)."

1297_1298.jpg

1889.jpg

"... there were introduced for generals and field and company-grade officers of Grenadier regiments hats with a buttonhole loop of narrow gold galloon, of the pattern previously used on shoulder straps, and with a tall plume (Illus. 1297-:cool:."
No i meant for the line troops, not the officers like here
Russian_infantry_1812.jpg

Those are 1812 uniforms, the mod's set in 1809 so those won't turn up for another 3 years.

Feathers are far more stylish for plumes anyway.

The regular army shako in 1808-1811 had a big stiff cylinder of horse-hair for grenadiers, similar to the Prussian guard plumes you've seen in NW, but the Russian Guard at this time had a weird black pine-tree looking thing, that I'd grateful the officer isn't sporting. The officers of the Guard infantry had a shako prescribed to them with only a different pompon and some metallic thread in the cords, but many wore their bicornes still anyway.

1891.jpg

I much prefer the 1812 shako, generally speaking. Especially the short, concave top.

Did whoever designed these idiotically high plumes ever consider that the soldiers wearing them might need to, I don't know, enter a somewhat short building or go through some underbrush?

These ones kinda were.

Of course, there were people who considered parade dress the only dress that was worthy of battle, ordering the troops to change dress (sometimes that included a different set of trousers) just before going into battle. What you have to remember is that these people weren't idiots - they had a different mindset, of course, but most commanders would understand just as well as we do when they should use the plumage and when not.

I once was told Kingdom Holland marines had a plume of no less then half a meter.

I think it's also fair to say that many officers wanted their men, and obviously themselves, to look super fancy when in battle. The Prussian Leib-Garde infantry and their huge plumes, I think, are awesome uniforms. I can also imagine that many of these uniforms had a fear factor towards enemies. If you saw a massive Prussian life guard regiment marching toward you, would you cower if they were wearing regular shakos and uniforms? Probably not. Now, if they were marching at you with their massive plumed shakos, and beautiful red, white, and dark blue uniforms, then you'd be pissing your pants. Such uniforms showed the guards and elite regiments, obviously it would also make them larger targets, because I'm sure armies want to get rid of guards first if they're committed to a pitched battle. Napoleon used his Guard regiments in reserve, though (i.e. Battle of Waterloo). So, the French guards hadn't need to worry too much, amiright?

ruhl1_03.jpg

kpetschulat said:
I think it's also fair to say that many officers wanted their men, and obviously themselves, to look super fancy when in battle. The Prussian Leib-Garde infantry and their huge plumes, I think, are awesome uniforms. I can also imagine that many of these uniforms had a fear factor towards enemies. If you saw a massive Prussian life guard regiment marching toward you, would you cower if they were wearing regular shakos and uniforms? Probably not. Now, if they were marching at you with their massive plumed shakos, and beautiful red, white, and dark blue uniforms, then you'd be pissing your pants. Such uniforms showed the guards and elite regiments, obviously it would also make them larger targets, because I'm sure armies want to get rid of guards first if they're committed to a pitched battle. Napoleon used his Guard regiments in reserve, though (i.e. Battle of Waterloo). So, the French guards hadn't need to worry too much, amiright?

ruhl1_03.jpg

The prussians normally wear a shako coating in battle (german: Tschackoüberzug).
lueneburg-gefecht-1813-knoetel.jpg

Grossgoerschen1813.JPG

They only weared the plumes at parades or in peacetime. Also many Prussians wore dark-grey pants in the battlefield.

Austupaio said:
Did whoever designed these idiotically high plumes ever consider that the soldiers wearing them might need to, I don't know, enter a somewhat short building or go through some underbrush?

I seem to recall reading the memoirs of that French Imperial Guard sergeant that on campaign these plumes along with many of the other cosmetic additions to the uniforms were traded away for food and other things with the local populace or other soldiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom