**Active Progress List** /--Planning the next release--

Users who are viewing this thread

Computica said:
$4000 - $5000 as of now which wasn't the case a year ago, my budget was 1/10 of that. I originally planned to use a triple monitor setup but I decided to aim for a 21:9 3440:1440 IPS panel. I like to game but I much more of a power user so the screen real estate on 1 screen will be welcome.

Since I know how I am, I'm aiming for expandability with this build, so I want my motherboard to be feature packed with over clocking as a bit of an afterthought.  For ram I need speed over size. I will use 2 WD Black Hardrives for storage. For the OS I'm forced to get Windows 10 over 7 because of dx12. The OS will be either on a m.2 drive or a ssd, it depends on which is more faster and stable.

I'd like to have just 2 GPUs (MAX), I'm leaning towards AMD but I might go Nvidia depending if AMD can't keep the power consumption and temps down. If one brand is better paired with a 2nd GPU I will go with that brand. I'm aiming for flagship GPUs but of course I would not make stupid decisions like buy a Titan X over a 980ti. Though I'm still super curious about what DX12 has to offer us.

I want whatever the top of the line mainstream skylake CPU is, I don't care to much for Intel's extreme offers. I don't see myself using that much processing power.

As far as specific brands for stuff other than AMD, Intel, & Nvidia. I'm not going for the most logical hardware for my needs with price of course being a factor. Unless you need a computer system this summer I'd wait if you plan to go with Intel as your chip set. The Computex 2015 floor has some pretty nice offerings for z170.

What type of computer are you planning to build?

Ahh I see.  A 24-26" monitor like you suggest is about a $500 product last time I checked (3 days ago), rather than the $125-140 FullHD monitors I suggested.  To be honest I built out both home and work PCs for much less than your budget, but you do want the very latest.  Might I suggest the Corsair Neutron GTX SSD for boot drive and warband modding, with either a RAID-0 data pair in your secondary chipset for SATA drives (as RAID and SSD don't mix, they have to be on seperate chipset controllers - thus many motherboards offer for example Intel for boot and Marvel SATA  controller for a secondary set of SATA drives that can be configured in RAID.)  Or if economy, try a SSHD 2 TB seagate at around $150 as a decent complement to a $200 550 MB sustained write capable drive (very very few are capable of sustained 500+ MB writes after the SATA-3 buffer fills).

You should carefully consider the CPU heat sink and case you put those into -- cross ventilation, ability to add secondary cooling fans to lower air temperature inside the case, cooling of drive bays, all these make a difference.  A decent motherboard will allow BOTH AMD and Nvidia multi-GPU solutions.  Don't feel you have to choose one over the other - you can defer the decision if you aren't sure.  I'd say more important is your decision as to how much power supply you need, and if you live in the sticks some sort of protection against brown outs and surges.  I still think you're spending too much (the PC I write on was budgeted about 1/3rd your amount, and I assure you it can outperform your rig, ever so slightly, in real world activity -- at least, if I require the CPU should never be heated beyond lets say 45 C in ambient air cooling, which I certainly achieve daily.  But then again, I have some experience in picking a build.

I like your pieces so far, but the motherboard seems likely to be expensive, and the decision to buy "cutting edge" seems nice, except a year from now the cutting edge aspect of the monitor will be 33% cheaper from mass production, so I wonder if its not better to upgrade as you go and focus on the box first.  Even then waiting for a traditionally October release to grey market of a new processor (I had to wait until November when I bought mine, even though official launch was October)... well, the monitor is seperate from the box.  The box is dependent on CPU+MB+RAM and otherwise needs enough vertical clearance for the aftermarket heat sink, which you'll certainly need if you ever plan on overclocking.  The box, with OS, with SSD, with at least 2 channels of RAM, really shouldn't be more than $2000 USD delivered to your doorstep, even with the build you want.  Adding some graphics cards later so you have a nice pair might burn what, $200 each further, and its debateable whether much more than that really helps frames per second in Warband or Bannerlord.  Your huge number of addressable pixels implies a PCIe-v3 bus need and true x16 + x16 lane PCI trace layout at chipset and motherboard, and not the classic  x16 + x8 + x4 layout most use, but again its a matter of reading carefully before selecting your motherboard.  Even most high end boards select x16 + x8 + x8, since it isnt certain you don't need for example a raid controller or multi-gigabit fiber channel card when the motherboard designer makes a high end workstation motherboard as opposed to simple gaming build.  I'll assume you want a pure gaming rig but the underlying properties in terms of bandwidth versus latency still apply, as do heat (thermal) considerations in an optimum build - which is something I *do* know about.

I rather doubt any of you could drag race my cheap boxes at even twice the budget I spent, and anything after that will seem foolish in 2 years when yet ANOTHER tick occurs and your box, like mine, is now 1 tick behind the curve, and probably 33% cheaper.  I mention it because I see "waiting for my box" as a monthly excuse, and indeed its a good excuse as excuses go.  If you change the CPU you change in this case the chipset, which means you change the motherboard, which means you change operating system, which those 3 things together mean you blow most of your budget, plus you still need RAM and a hard disk to qualify for the Microsoft DSP pricing that keeps the cost relatively "modest".  Understood.  I guess you could feel the same way waiting for your first high end car.  After you have say 10 cars you still have the enthusiasm but the pressure to spend is less.  I still remember my first PC - my wife and I borrowed $1389 to buy an IBM PC-2 without even a floppy disk drive, with DOS 1.1 and Microsoft Assembler and IBM Pascal.  I had a strong instinct to go ahead and buy the Pascal, which landed me my first job with a PC.  I had to mail order the floppy, couldnt buy a 10 MB hard disk for another year (and it was $1000 from my mom, which she didnt really have but I was insistent - I "needed" it). 
Always interesting to see myself from a distance, when I read this thread...

- GS

We will continue to work on SoD:W even after Bannerlords comes out I think, we will finish the idea of SoD:W and maybe move on to M&B2 another day.

(All this about what it will offer is still all speculation mostly anyway)

When it is ready there will be nothing small about this mod, people still mod and play Civ4(myself included) which is about a decade old now, even though they released CiV. New doesn't always equal better, especially in gaming.

Anyway, I have also tried to nudge Compy in the direction of downscaling his build budget for the wholey selfish reason of getting him chained back to his modding desk sooner and making a new version! :razz:

(Just this week in fact)

He managed to get his new job qualification in the last few weeks, which I think has given him a boost in general.

He is also working towards a car and place to live.

(Another reason why I told him to skimp on he peripherals and get back to work coding! :razz:)

Beating people to get back to work is one of those fine lines, too much and they will keel over (maybe permanently) and too little and they just get used to the pain...

So one must continue to be innovative in methods of motivational torture...(I mean encouragement...Phew I think we got away with that!)

I need a spoon, some gravy and a box of gibbons....  :roll: 

@Gsanders  Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions on the PC I'm planning to build. I've got a much bigger budget to work with, I won't be buying it all at one time though so I'm going to buy the basics to get me running. I'm still undecided on the GPU at the moment. The CPU will use a AIO Water Cooler. I'm on the fence on whether I'll get a nVME SSD right now as the tech is still too new for the price. I'm not worried about the costs too much right, I would of been if I was on a more constrained budget.

glad to see your doing well mate looking forward to this um bit of a question for the veterans of this mod how high does your renown/right to rule have to be that when you seize a castle you'll soon be left alone

saiyanwarrior said:
how high does your renown/right to rule have to be that when you seize a castle you'll soon be left alone
It's only one of several factors.

If you're going to be weak (and you probably will be as a faction with one castle and no lords etc) people will love to pile on you.

Computica said:
Define left alone?  :ohdear:
As in after a few wars with you lol they ignore you and fight the other factions more than you lol, I currently occupy in order of conquest Jamik castle, Relika castle, Tonfero castle and Catella so far the only faction the Vaegirians are the only ones that keep attacking me I spent a long while upping my level skills and companion skills and gaining honour and reknown with other factions to make it easier to conquer the vaegerians, the odd thing is EVERY other faction is leaving me alone sure the khergits and Adenins have declared war once or twice but have never bothered to come attack me the antarians right next door haven't attacked me at all it's very quiet and I'm trying to figure out why is it because of my good realtions with the other factions?, and atm it's still only me as a lord as nothing annoys me more than it taking a vassal 70 sodding days or something daft like that to build a water well or something.

Back
Top Bottom