Regarding the problems with the naval battles

Users who are viewing this thread

Idibil has asked me to take a look at the problems some people have in naval battles.
I was away for 2 weeks and have just tested the new 1.35: it did work for me!
But some people had problems, and I will try to figure out the cause. If the people read their own posts please tell at first if you have newest warband and newest brytwalda.
Gasket said:
I did notice something odd though, as soon as the battle began I got the message you usually get after a victory, I could keep leaving only to return to the battle. ...
Additionally when I only had a party of three, made up of me and two companions, I failed to spawn a ship in a battle and me and my fellows spawned dead in the water below . . .
Colbxious said:
Whenever I get into a naval battle I don't do anything and it says I won but then it goes back to the pre-battle screen and no body has died also sometimes the ships just go forward and backward and don't listen when I tell them to go forward and attack
saxon80 said:
I enter the battle, immediatly the battle won message pops up, i tab out and get the msg "You have retreated", with no losses on both sides. Then i am stuck at the combat screen again, when i enter again i start under water and all my men drown.
This is a hard one. I need information if anybody else has the red text.
Uffa said:
I've been playing under 1.35 and my naval combat works until you try to board, then the boats slam together and I always fall off and get knocked out, so I just avoid naval battles all together but pirates are such good loot/prisoners. If you guys figure out how to get this working, it will be worth the trouble.
Added some screens of the problem,
6986A57DA0D23461717390FC7066D5A75811F7B1
This is how it looks whenever two ships board
A374C83FA88B50ACFC27B649E378FBCE300E15C6
8F93DF010874713D1760DC8CF9E547FDFB55D1F2
Bonyak said:
Something wrong with sea battles. When ships collide they begin to "jump" in opposit directions. There was no such a bug in 1.34 :sad:
BUT THERE ARE ALSO POSTS LIKE THIS:
cpkuntz said:
Weird, naval combat works fine for me in the newest release.  Worked in the first release of 1.35 also.  Commands work, no messages saying that the battle is over.  There is a risk of falling off the ship if you aren't careful, but this seems realistic to me.
Navenis said:
Naval combat also works fine for me and i would hate to see it go.

Question for me is: Why does it work for some people but fail for other? I would like to hear from people with bugs here. Additional: Try the new custom battle of brytwalda. It is naval-combat. If you have problem in singleplayer, try the naval combat in custom battle. Post your experience.

I had my first naval battle in 1.35 yesterday.  It all went well at first, other than the message about winning, as soon as the battle screen opened.  Anyway , we sailed to meet the enemy.  As soon as one of my ships collided with the enemy ship it glitched to hell.  My ship sailed away at light speed and the enemy ship also seemed to disappear, and then a bunch of men drowned and others were left floating in the air. 

All of the problems I encountered were present in the latest versions. I didn't experience the seemingly common collision bug, but I spawned once without a boat and died and also experienced a glitch where you are told that you have won the battle before it has even begun.

NOTE: I've just tried the custom battles and have encountered no issues, my problems seem to lie in the actual game itself.

I think that those who have encountered no issues have not been in many naval battles, some can work without any problems but they do pop up far too often.

latest warband and brytenwalda version used, it was the first naval encounter i have tried in the 1.35(yeah, the one from the 31st) version. After that i stayed away from naval combat. I will try to replicate it again and make some screenshots(maybe tomorrow).

I have the newest warband, and I think i have Brytenwalda 1.35 the one before you removed freelancer? hard to tell since its the same version number but I don't know if that should effect naval combat. I always have the same issue every battle where the boats attach and move back and forth at lightspeed and then dissappear. And those people floating in mid air are the result, im not really sure what the red text is, doesn't happen every time. Also couldn't find naval battles in Custom, so i couldn't test it.  --- Cool, yea tested custom and it worked... the boat handled a bit differently aswell a little harder to steer, but boarding worked fine for a change. Don't use battlesizer either.

Uffa said:
I have the newest warband, and I think i have Brytenwalda 1.35 the one before you removed freelancer? hard to tell since its the same version number but I don't know if that should effect naval combat. I always have the same issue every battle where the boats attach and move back and forth at lightspeed and then dissappear. And those people floating in mid air are the result, im not really sure what the red text is, doesn't happen every time. Also couldn't find naval battles in Custom, so i couldn't test it.

No matter what you select you seem to end up in naval battles, just choose a standard map and you'll end up in one.

I today had my first naval battle  (btw its pretty cool the way its designed) and i also got the winning error

HOWEVER... i simply ignored it and attacked the pirates and killed them, thus winning :grin:

I believe some people claim not to move because they do not unfurl their sails (press ENTER on keyboard) and then try and control the ship and simply get close enough to board.

I was quoted among the people for whom naval battles are working fine.  However, I have since run into the problem of ships trying to board an enemy vessel while still too far away, which causes the ship to rocket across the map at high speeds, sometimes jumping back and forth, as it tries to land on the enemy.  I think this is a problem related to the number of ships in the battle.

When I have small battles - like one ship versus one ship, everything works fine.  No problems.  Some people fall during boarding, but it seems realistic.  When I have battles with three ships or more, the CPU might have difficulty and the algorithm causes various events to take place at different speeds.  Thus, for example, the ships try to board too soon and causes them to launch across the sea towards the enemy, but the men still move at a normal pace and so are launched off the ship, falling to death.  One solution to this is to not try to board the enemy until you are very close to that enemy.  Get close, then push the "K" button to try to board.  Do not have "Try to board" on while you are still far away.

I will probably just not engage in naval battles unless I have 50 men or less.  More men I can transport without running into pirates anyway, since I outnumber them and they don't want to fight.  So overall, unless you like fleet battles, the system works fine as it is.  A bit of tweaking to lessen the problem with fleet battles would be good, of course, but if it can't be made to work then I think the system is okay as long as people only go into small battles.

At least, this is my experience.  Perhaps others have problems with small naval battles, too.

Don't think multiple ships is the issue, I had been ordering to board so maybe thats it. <>I tried not giving the board order and it still happened... I think it happened for me before i had more then one boat aswell... and it happens everytime not just randomly.

Oh, great!  :???: So many people, with so many problems. Everybody with bugs, who would like to help, is invited to try this.

1. Problem: Boat does not hear me! (Instruction for commands)
You are the captain of your boat. You do not stear your boat directly. You just give commands. And here are the effects of your commands:

a) up and down arrows = In 5 steps you can tell your man how strong they have to row. Do not hold one arrow key! If you press the 'up'-key 5 times you give the highest rowing command (just like 'row as fast as you can'). You will see it with this test: if you hit the up key, but the message 'more rowing' does not occur, then you know: I did already give the highest rowing command. Other direction the same:  if you hit the down key, but the message 'less rowing' does not occur, then you know: I did already give the lowest rowing command. You do not have to set sail to move!

b) Enter = Set/get Sail. Effect depends on your direction to north. If you are in wind direktion you get extra speed. If you are against wind direktion you get penalty. Get Info about wind direktion with the "Situation report" (right Shift). Figure out your direktion with sun and daytime. (12h sun is in south)

c) right shift = Situationreport. Tells you some interesting things.

d) left and right arrows = In 7 steps you can tell your Helmsman how strong he has to stear in one direction. Do not hold one arrow key! If you press the 'right'-key often you give the highest stearing command (just like 'stear to stearbord as strong as you can'). You will see it with this test: if you hit the right key, but the message 'more starboard' does not occur, then you know: I did already give the highest stearing command. Other direction the same. You have to move for turning!

e) k-key = boarding command. If you hit 'k' you will see which command you did give. There are 3:
          - Try to board
          - Try to board even friendly ships
          - Avoid boarding
Do not hold key!!! Serveral klicking will just change your command every time. Just like this: The captain gives every second another command. The last command you did give will have an effect. You will always get into boarding with an enemy ship if you are near enough!!! The enemy ship wants it and this is enough. The  commands are only there, to control if you want to board also friendly ships or empty ships. At the beginning the first command ist automatic given.
2. Problem: It always says 'battle won'.
We did not have this problem in 1.34-beta. But we had it in 1.34-release. The only diffrence: Freelancer mod was included. =>  Check if you have newest brytwalda 1.35 with excluded Freelancer. Check if you have deleted last brytwalda complet.

3. Problem: Jumping boats and lightspeed when boarding
This is the hardest porblem, because it is realy gamebraking and the cause is not clear. I need to know:
=> If any body has this problems even under this conditions:
- newest brytwalda and warband
- no extra installations (battle-size-changer, polished landscapes, ...)
report and try custom battle. (Every custom battle in brytwalda is a naval battle)
=> if you still see the bugs report and:
try the custom battle in this mod: http://www.mbrepository.com/download.php?id=2913&f=Klabautermann.zip
=> if you still see the bugs report

Important note: Naval-battle looks like a smal feature, but it has big code and is many work for your CPU. Some problems maybe occur because your CPU can not handle it. (It is hard for me to play brytwalda with 5 ships because my CPU is slow.) So: Maybe you report also your CPU Data!

4. Problem: Red text.
Please post the text. Maybe use rgl_log.txt in Warband folder.

newest 1.35 version, newest warband 1.143 version, quad core (AMD Phenom II X4 955BE, 4gb ddr3 ram, Geforce 260 GTX), battle sizer running at 250

Tried a naval battle with a caravan(131 me vs 74)

mb11l.jpg

mb12v.jpg

Starting out good (except for the battle won msg.), thought finally it will work for once...

mb15k.jpg

mb18z.jpg

mb22d.jpg

everything goes ape**** when the ships come near eachother, all kinds of rubber band movement, people running in the air, it only lasts for a few seconds then....

mb24t.jpg

mb25g.jpg

...you end up under water and drown. Then the retreat msg. pops up.

EDIT: i didnt read your post properly...this was made with battle-size changer and PL & CiD...when i find the time, i will try to test the naval combat without any extras installed.

When I have more than one ship, I get exactly the problems that saxon80 reports.  I have a dual core Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.6 GHz, 6 GB ram.  I don't have any expansions whatsoever graphical or otherwise - just the standard native textures, and it is the new version of 1.35 (July 31) with new games (never use old savegames with new versions), I don't use battle sizer and Warband is set to the default 150 combatants.  The game runs quite smoothly for me in land battles even with graphics settings turned all the way up; a little lag in large sieges at dusk and dawn with HDR turned on, but quite fast otherwise.  However, in naval battles I get the ships going really fast when they try to board one another - the rubber band action of ships moving back and forth.  saxon80's screen shots apply here.  With one ship vs one ship, the boarding works fine.  I've tried not issuing any orders at all, and this still happens.

One thing worth pointing out is that in the Custom Battle mode, I've never had any problems.  Everything works great in Custom Battles.  Even with 200 men on each side, with large fleets of multiple ships, the naval warfare works great.

Back
Top Bottom