Testing a possible optimization: all sounds converted to .wav format.

Users who are viewing this thread

As some of you might know, xenoargh found that converting sounds from .ogg to .wav format increased the performance of his mod, which is probably because the uncompressed format uses less CPU power to play. I wondered if it would affect PW performance, since there are often many sounds playing at once on a large and populated PW scene, particularly the horse footstep and weapon drawing ones: I converted all the relevant sounds for myself to test, but since I don't play on remote servers very often I wasn't really sure if it increased performance or reduced "lock ups" by much, so I have uploaded some patches for regular players to test.

There are two versions, the first at the same sample rate as the original .ogg at 48kHz, and the second at 22kHz as recommended by xenoargh in his thread; the low quality versions are noticeably quieter and more muffled, missing some of the high frequencies and dynamic range, but it seems possible that they might use less memory or make the game perform slightly faster. If people want to try both versions, comparing against the native .ogg and each other, I would be interested in your reports. Just extract into the PW_4_alpha6 directory like applying a patch.

Full quality patch
Low quality patch - outdated

Rapace said:
Thanks for the patch

All of the mods in my Warband (including native) are completely fvcked, most of my textures and sounds are replaced with crazy ****e. For instance when I see a stone castle, I see a castle covered in dicks, and when I hear a horse trotting I hear beavis and butthead laughing. Really needed this, cheers

:lol: You should reinstall Warband, well unless you like it that way.

does this mean il be able to play the game with sound? all the other mods i play have sound but not this one for me or is it just me?

Vincenzo said:
No, Network speeds determine ping&lag which is the problem for distant servers, not your own CPU power.
Yeah that's what I meant you have a better gaming experience on distant servers if you're not lagging like f*ck.

Rapace said:
Thanks for the patch

All of the mods in my Warband (including native) are completely fvcked, most of my textures and sounds are replaced with crazy ****e. For instance when I see a stone castle, I see a castle covered in dicks, and when I hear a horse trotting I hear beavis and butthead laughing. Really needed this, cheers

Dicks? Are you serious?

Rapace said:
Thanks for the patch

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

I'l be testing the patch.

Vornne said:
That sounds great :razz:. Any opinions on whether the low quality sounds make a difference in performance compared with the full quality ones?

I can set my FPS limiter off and see exactly how much it helped.

Could you maybe give a tutorial of sorts as to how to do this to other mods? (namely native). I've got the sound conversion software, converted, changed the .txt information but still no sound.

Splintert said:
Could you maybe give a tutorial of sorts as to how to do this to other mods? (namely native). I've got the sound conversion software, converted, changed the .txt information but still no sound.
You should be able to extract the patch into your Native module, since PW only adds sounds to the end of the list, keeping the same native sounds at the start (though you need to set "scan_module_sounds = 1" in module.ini. To do it yourself, there's really nothing to it: just convert all files in Warband/Sounds/ and put them in Modules/Whatever/Sounds/, do a search and replace of .ogg to .wav in sounds.txt, and edit Modules/Whatever/module.ini as said. The patch doesn't convert everything to save download size, only the sounds likely to be heard often in a battle scene.

Hey maybe you guys can help me with my sound.iv had no sound for this mod for awhile now since Vos i think on the rcc server i thought if i added this patch it might of fixed it for me but its still the same i only have this problem on this mod my sound works fine on all the others any ideas?

Vornne said:
You should be able to extract the patch into your Native module, since PW only adds sounds to the end of the list, keeping the same native sounds at the start (though you need to set "scan_module_sounds = 1" in module.ini. To do it yourself, there's really nothing to it: just convert all files in Warband/Sounds/ and put them in Modules/Whatever/Sounds/, do a search and replace of .ogg to .wav in sounds.txt, and edit Modules/Whatever/module.ini as said. The patch doesn't convert everything to save download size, only the sounds likely to be heard often in a battle scene.

That's what I did, still not working. No sound at all. It's like it's still looking for the .ogg.

I have read reports that using .wav files instead of .ogg doesn't increase performance with warband 1.143 (as opposed to 1.134): what versions are the people running that have reported in this thread that it seemed to work for them?

I run 1.143, and to my knowledge the FPS increase is definitely present if not substantial.

I think the FPS is only helped if your CPU is the bottleneck, which on my PC it is because Warband doesn't like quad cores.

Back
Top Bottom