Fighting In the Shield-Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shield-WallIntro.png

First & Foremost: We advise that you use the WALK function that has been added to Vikingr. Simply rebind your ZOOM key (Left_Shift) to another button. You may now hold down Left_Shift during Shield-Wall events to maintain formations.​

A Brief Introduction

With the onslaught beginning every Saturday, new players and old players alike are quickly finding their untimely deaths upon the spear-point and the bite of an axe.

For the most part this is due to a deft and keen thrust from the enemy, stomachs become blood-wounds and necks left torn asunder for the crows to peck. However, it has been noted that several are left dead to be found wanting of a good fight - call it an early exit from the shieldwall if you wish. This guide will serve the purpose of quickly highlighting errors in position, correcting the shieldwall and in providing knowledge to those whom may be new to this form of fighting. It will be an invaluable guide to your understanding of how the shield-wall works and what to do when things go terribly, terribly wrong.

Whether you come from Native, Mount & Musket, Brytenwalda or any other mod, Vikingr will take you by the balls and crush them without remorse. If you do not understand tactical fighting as a unit, from the smallest pair to the largest fyrd, you will be destroyed entirely and annihilated by the thunder of hooves and spear.

Strap on your helm fyrdsman and hold firm that spear, now is the time for blood letting.

The Shield-Wall

The shieldwall, long epitomised in history as the first and foremost in defensive maneuveurs, takes mainstay in Vikingr - especially for our weekly events. Each engagement will take the form of a wall until one side is forced to break down, until one side willingly breaks apart or until one side is destroyed outright. It is crucial that every player participating in our weekly event (plus any special historical event!) understands how to form the shieldwall, how to maintain the shieldwall and how to fight in the shieldwall. If you do not acknowledge these key terms, you will not survive the first exchange of blows.

Now, let's bring out the fancy diagrams!

Shield-WallIdleUnOrg.png
Shield-WallIdle.png
Incorrect
Correct

Note the difference.

The group upon the left are running a quick road to team-kill heaven and to the swifty backstab from any number of threats. A good horseman of the Normanz will take advantage and pick off stragglers. A crossbowman will fire blindly into the mass of bodies, he is almsot guarenteed to hit something. If it helps, think of the scene in Gladiator where Russel Crowe organises his pissy group of bandits into a fighting group. Guess what? They come out the victors.

That is the difference between left and right groups. Winning! Those in the right image will survive the initial charge and take less casualties. They are also protecting themselves against cavalry whom will never approach an organised group unless they happen to suffer from impetuous horse syndrome or I R FROM NATIVE DISEASE. Irregardless; your first benefit from being in an organised wall is reaped through mutual protection and strength in numbers.

Now, you should understand the benefit in fighting as a group. Hopefully my use of English-wit and dry humour has drilled this point home. Since I wrote this guide with the intention of providing new-player information for ... new players of Vikingr, and in particular for the Saturday Shield-Wall events, we'll crack on.

Let's look towards the leader and any possible commands that he may give out. First; your leader is the heart of any fighting group. Look for the chap in the shiny armour on first round. He'll most likely be wearing a helmet and mail, brandishing a horn and a really shiny weapon. If he is really smart, he will be identified by the banner-carrier whom ought be stood beside him. Once located, stand firm by him, defend him with your life and follow his orders and lead - even to death. Rounds are relatively short in Vikingr, the melee combat bloody and brutal. Do not worry about being killed, enjoy the fight and enjoy the atmosphere. If you take careful steps, you'll find yourself surviving much longer.

Your leader may issue a few simple commands to start the round off. Again, listen to him and follow.

Shield-WallIdle.png
Shield-WallIdleDouble.png
Single
Double

Single: Simple. A child can do this in first school. Take the line firm and hold it, you do not need to twizzle on the spot or move back and forth.

Double: A little more complex, a slow child may have struggled with this in class. Use your common sense and take a quick peek at the number of men around you. Roughly half should be in the first line and the rest on the rear line. We will not worry about spear mechanics just yet, we'll get to that soon. Again, this is simple and requires no additional movement whatsoever.

It is also possible that your leader will issue an order such as "Shieldwall upon my left", or upon any of the other three directional axis. Take a quick peek at the following picture and soak it up - shouldn't be too difficult.

Shield-WallLeaderLeft.png
Difficult, non?

This common order applies in the same way. Take note of your leader and follow his command to the point. The quicker that your wall is formed and held, the keener your spears shall fall upon the enemy. This is about as far as forming the shield-wall goes in Vikingr. The wall is not difficult to form, nor is it difficult to hold. The group simply needs to learn the basics of it and to understand the limits.

Fighting In the Wall

Now we get to the dirty mechanics of the wall. This is going to be straight forward and simple. There are few rules to follow, most of them are basic and were designed so that every common man from farmer to fighter understood them. This applies here also... I'll be making heavy use of images and less on the words, just to make it extra easy for the hairier amongst us.

The scenario; the shieldwalls are facing one another, each leader has navigated his wall and his men through the terrain (this part relies upon you!) and has bought them about face to face. You are just outside of any melee reach, including spear-thrusts. What is happening now? Your shield should be raised high 90% of the time. The biggest threat at this medium-close range are throwing weapons. You must anticipate them to be coming in from the entire length of the opposing wall, from left to right and at all times. Do not drop your shield, do not taunt.

Stay very small.
Also remember, anything that you throw has a very high chance of being thrown back.

Shield-WallFacingOffThrownDead.png
Shield-WallFacingOff.png
Which player was busy spinning his mouse around?
The shieldwalls line up. Remember to stay small...

After a few exchanges of thrown weapons, the walls will want to begin to advance towards one another. It is most likely that each wall has suffered numerous casualties due to thrown weapons. It is critical that gaps are filled immediately. There should be no chasing or leaving of the shield wall to retrieve items any large distance away. Stay in the wall and stay with your shield-brothers.

Now is the time for blood-letting and gritty combat! The walls are drawing together. Again, it is critical that the players hold their formations. When one player drops out for whatever reason, another will see fit to do the same. Keep your eye on the enemy and on your wall, you do not want to step too far infront or behind - both will render your weapon useless in the following fight.

Keepin' Cool During Melee

FOLLOW EVERY WORD IN THIS PART AND LEARN IT. EMBOLDENED FOR ULTIMATE ATTENTION GRABBIN' CAPABILITIES!
Follow these short points and memorise them. They are words of a hardened spear-user. They will give you victory.

Don't be kill-greedy:

Fighting in the shield-wall is a team-effort and you won't do your shield-brothers a favour by stabbing wildly.  You will experience that being part of an effective fighting unit where the warriors are supporting each other is more satisfying than being high on the scoreboard.

Mind your timing.

Be patient and wait for the perfect moment to stab. While sometimes it may be advisable to stab against the enemy's shield in order to keep him busy(i.e. when two or more of your side are harassing him), stabs should generally be well-timed. Note that you will be stunned for a moment if you hit enemies' shields and that you are vulnerable when you open your defense. So the general advice is: Keep your shield up; thrust when an opponent is vulnerable by either lowering his shield or turning and showing you his side or even back.

In case you decide to thrust and notice that it was not the perfect timing, there is a very short window in which you're able to cancel the attack. (You will hear the sound of the attack already and can still abort it). Try to practice this cancelling in order to avoid opening your defense when not necessary or even hitting teammates in battle.

Keep an eye on the attack direction. Have a look at the illustration with the two shield-walls opposing each other. In contrast to a possible intuition, don't thrust straight ahead. The opponent will most likely be expecting the attack. Rather, attack the opponent next to the warrior you are directly facing. Wait for a good opportunity, when he is distracted, opening his defense and not expecting your attack. Watch out for what your teammates are doing, sometimes it may be useful to deal additional damage/finish him off, sometimes it may be better not to interfere.

Take a look at the following two diagrams. Simple, right?

wrongstab.png
rightstab.png
Wrong
Right.

Once you have made the kill HOLD your position. I cannot emphasise it enough. The longer that you hold your position with your wall, the greater your chance of victory - providing of course that you make some kills. You hold, you look after your friends and you stay as a group.

Sooner or later the walls are going to break down and general melee will follow. However this is not an excuse to be rambo or the Viking John Wayne. He whom stays with friends will gain victory. If three men go chasing after one runner whom is fleeing, you are severely gimping your team. It takes one, two at most to follow a runner. It is generally not even advisable to chase a runner. Stay in the melee. Stay with your group. Help deliver them victory.

To Summarise

1. Stay Alive
2. Keep your friends alive
3. Kill the enemy

Dear Eiríkur, thank you very much for your work!

We will try to accommodate all the tips and advice, and we hope we have the honor to be rolled under your command (where you are to assess the implementation of these recommendations).  :smile:

and allowed the leader to stand behind the rows or its may deem necessarily per cowardice?

I think it looks best when the leader stands in the very center of the first rank of the shield wall, but that makes it hard to move the shield wall about :razz:

Ohhh, with pictures!

Quick question, though.

What i've learned from LARP in actual shieldwalls is that the guy infront of you is just a bother, you generally wont be able to hit him with your spear, however! The guy next to the guy infront of you, either right or left, may leave himself open when stabbing at the guy next to you, making them a perfect target for a suprise stab, this is legitimate in a shieldwall, yes?

Shoep said:
Ohhh, with pictures!

Quick question, though.

What i've learned from LARP in actual shieldwalls is that the guy infront of you is just a bother, you generally wont be able to hit him with your spear, however! The guy next to the guy infront of you, either right or left, may leave himself open when stabbing at the guy next to you, making them a perfect target for a suprise stab, this is legitimate in a shieldwall, yes?

Oui. This will be discussed when the guide is finished.

Thats not quite true Idibil. At re-enactment I've been in single line shield walls consisting of between 10-100 people and they've held together very well even when facing the svinfylking (the boars snout) - generally the maille clad warriors would leave the line & rush to where it would land whilst we spearmen hammered at the flanks of it with our spears to distract the snouts flanks. Besides I hate multiple line shield walls because of the lack of space you have because of your comrades behind you. Unless I'm in the second line*.

With M&B you do not have the weight of men playing a factor in our fights and thus a single shield wall works perfectly fine in Vikingr. The only thing you have to be aware of is making sure that people don't then leave the line to engage the enemy, as that obviously creates gaps.

*We were doing a show at a place called Horton-***-Studley in Oxfordshire for the celebration of Edward the Confessor's birthdate, on land which was owned by one of Edward's later consorts. Anyway, on the evening battle (second battle of the day) I was on the left flank with two maille clad warriors, who had sword & axe. They pushed past me in the line so...I followed them, spear in hand. Between the three of us, with me ramming my spear over their shoulders and their shields/armour protecting us, we rolled right down the opposing army's flank quickly and so quietly that our opponents didn't know we were there until my spear had caught them in the ribs. Probably the only time I've ever enjoyed being in a multiple line wall. Oh and at Hastings but that was something else.

Halvar said:
But what about a shiltron?! Spears to all directions...

The sheltron is just a reference to a body of troops, not their armament or formation. The circular sheltrons you suggest are generally associated with the Wars of Scottish Independance, not with the earlier Anglo-Seaxon period.

Shoep said:

This is true but is best when you all aim the same direction, RL, to prevent tangling the spears and to make sure that your shield -is- covering the person to your left (if you're right handed). At Regia Anglorum we aimed to the right.

Double line walls can be effective in Vikingr with the overhand spearstab. But other than that it has little use.

Eiríkr Rauði said:
Idibil said:
Nice pictures Eiríkr Rauði  :grin:

Shieldwall need, generally, 3 or more lines of deep, or it would be too weak for withstand the thrust of the enemy without losing cohesion.

For that, friend, we need more players!  :razz:

For a Shieldwall to properly work it needs to be very dense. Best way I can see that happening is using a small space to fight. Like Stamford bridge. Just let the Shieldwalls meet there.  :razz:

Phalanx300 said:
Eiríkr Rauði said:
Idibil said:
Nice pictures Eiríkr Rauði  :grin:

Shieldwall need, generally, 3 or more lines of deep, or it would be too weak for withstand the thrust of the enemy without losing cohesion.

For that, friend, we need more players!  :razz:

For a Shieldwall to properly work it needs to be very dense. Best way I can see that happening is using a small space to fight. Like Stamford bridge. Just let the Shieldwalls meet there.  :razz:

Or just join the shieldwall events =D

Would really need a lot of players to make it properly work :razz:.

Right now some people just run around and stab people in the back. Like RipperX, nice that he's filming it all but why breaking the rules? Thats not shieldwall vs shielwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom