Modders' Tales - Serve a Good Cause!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumpkin Lord

10g9vnn.png
"Everything you need to know about modding are Experience and an organic Brain full of norons."

Greetings,

As a brief explanation about why is this topic here for giving newly-starters an idea and sharing your own thoughts and stories how you reached the status you are at the moment. For sure everyone is bored of spammers and trollers so via this thread when you see someone direct it here and he will begin to think "That guy did the same thing and seems got bad influence at all i guess i should act differently" or who knows maybe i am mistaking, lets just give it a try...

Let me start with how i came up to my own project;

1)Registered at forums.
2)Was a bit of jumpy and spamming all around with a dusty language.
3)Started to be more acceptible.
4)Discovered here the "Forge".
5)Learned how things bind to each other like a Puzzle.
6)Started my very first project. Was almost getting it done but due to lack of spirit and experience i found it pretty neat idea so destroyed all the thing up and...
7)Started with a narrower idea and released my first release and yes i was going better with MS.
:cool:Then i realised it was also pretty neat idea and ruined all thing up.
9)I came across to a newbie team in forum and started to create a new lore with a pretty neat showoffs and due to lack of inspiration and interest all was for nothing again.
10)And then i became a regular experienced member who failed 2 projects succesfully and gained much more than the project he fullfilled.
11)So i started to lurk around the forums and gained some such of respect.
12)Found quite rare jewels that we call as "Recruit" and set my team up.
13)At first it was quite low qualified mod and the team was undisciplined so i split the team and created a whole new team with very professional dedicated modders and gamers. Ugh.
14)And the mod had done great succes for me as it became 20th top mod in moddb sometimes.
15)Now I am where I am helping out here and there with my experience. :smile:

So thats it. You just can write something like that or write as a story. I hope it doesnt become a spam hole.

Experienced Advisors

=======================================================================================
MadVader's Advises
=======================================================================================

1. Don't set up yourself for failure
- there is a massive graveyard of mod threads and beta mods buried under more and more new mod threads - think about it for a moment - you don't want your work to end up there, right?
- if you are not experienced, join a team - don't start your own mod that will inevitably fail
- be very careful what team you join (remember that most of them will fail) - they should be regularly active for at least a few months, have plenty of stuff done and have a playable beta release that you like
- prefer teams with nice, friendly people you'll get along with and share similar ideas
- avoid teams with teenage/immature mod leaders - they are quick to start a mod, and quick to disappear
- research the posting histories of team members - it may be the difference between joining the right and the wrong team

2. Prepare to spend enormous amounts of time modding
- dump your girlfriend and quit your studies or job.. just kidding
- to be any good, you'll need to invest plenty of time learning new stuff - once you are past the (steep) initial learning curve, you'll know how deep you want to go
- don't spend too much time whoring for attention on the mod thread - getting "awesome" posts from noobs is meaningless and hollow
- get your fun from actually doing new, interesting stuff and working with your teammates - that's the best and most lasting satisfaction you can get out of modding
- don't get too dreamy and ambitious about all you might do - get practical about what can be done in a short time to make the mod releasable and complete
- finish the damn thing and you'll be one of the few who made it this far (really - there should be a hall of fame for people who actually go beyond incomplete betas and finish mods)
- support the mod by fixing bugs and solving player problems

3.  When and how to get out
- eventually, real life will take over and/or you won't have that much fun modding anymore
- tell your people you are getting out, there's nothing more demoralizing than team members disappearing
- don't make promises you can't keep, but finish your stuff as best as you can, and tell your teammates what remains to be done
- tell your grandchildren about it

============================================================================================

Flanged said:
WARNING:  LONG POST AHEAD.

I reckon my story could be useful here.  I'm lucky enough to be one of the few who started out with zero experience of modding (hadn't even drawn a picture on the computer since Deluxe Paint 4 on the Amiga) and yet somehow or other managed to thrash out a full mod and release it. 

The advice here'll mainly be applicable to folk who want to make a mod solo, because I can't claim to have ever "led" a team - just about everyone who helped me out with the mod (and there were loads of 'em) is a lot more experienced and skilled than me.  I reckon they only helped me out of pity, or for their own sadistic amusement. :lol:

No, not really, but I can hardly say I was anyone's "leader", and I'm not sure that's really a good thing to be.  Leaders are usually the people who are most invested in a project, and in the success of a mod.  They often feel they have to get quick results, and so they can sometimes make what could be seen as unreasonable demands of their "subordinates".  This leads to friction, and to resentment, and to disappearing team members - and soon enough, to a dead mod.  Unless you have some ideas about monetizing your mod or using it in your career, try not to be too much of a "leader".  It is a hobby.

When I started, I knew nothing - not even the basics - about modelling, texturing, scripting, Python, "leading" a mod team, or anything else at all.  Some would say I still don't, and they'd be mostly right. 

Actually, back then, I didn't even know how to post images on a forum or upload a Youtube video.  If you'd mentioned UVmapping to me I would've assumed it was an Ordinance Survey technique.  I knew nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

Anyway, first time I played M&B I was hooked, and it soon became apparent that this was the perfect game engine to recreate Glasgow in.  The little mobs of hyper-aggressive men with their butcher knives - it was ideal for my purposes.  I'd always wanted to play a game set in Glasgow.  Now, if I took it slow, I thought, I could try to make one.

This is an important point:  Whatever your mod idea might be, it should be something that YOU really want to play.  It should be an obsession of YOURS.  You'll get tired, sooner or later, of making something for others that you can only hope they will like and enjoy.  Their imagined approval won't keep you going when you're tired and bored.  It has to be made for you, first and foremost.  Only a clinical obsession and extreme selfishness will see you through to the end, at least if you're starting from scratch.

So anyway...

My first re-texture - and re-texturing is really the place to start, rather than making and importing wholly new objects and armours, unless you have previous experience with those things - was done in MS Paint.  It was terrible, awful, pathetic.  And it's still in the mod.  :lol:    You can't afford to be a perfectionist if you're incapable of perfection, as most of us are.  That was a re-tex of nomad_armor_a, which I'm happy to see is still with us in Warband. 

The whole first release of the mod (with only four towns, three "cities", and no other locations at all) was built using only the demo.  It was at least a year and a half into making the mod before I actually bought M&B.  That first release contained zero new objects, only very minor changes to dialogue, and a few "new" music tracks ripped off from LimeWire and thrown into a folder.  Everything that seemed new in it was done simply by re-texing Native objects and a bit of crazy scene-editing, because I had no other skills at all.  But because it was so different from Native it was worth releasing just as a proof-of-concept.

That's another important point: It took a year and a half of working on the mod before the first version could be released - and the first version, make no mistake, was utter ****.  It sucked ass, as the youngsters say.  And it took me A YEAR AND A HALF.  I wasn't working on it every day, and I was drunk half the time, but it was still many long months of work before I could bring myself to put it in front of another player. 

And, rightly, many of them said it was utter **** and sucked ass, which it was and did.  You can't afford to get hurt or bothered by that stuff, if you're ever going to finish a full mod.  Some folk liked it, or at least thought it was funny, and that was enough for me.

Here is what I think you really, really need if you want to make a full mod:

1/ A genuine obsession - something you are prepared to endure many, many annoyances and setbacks to achieve, even though you are aware, rationally, that all your efforts towards that end are essentially pointless in real terms.

2/ TONS of free time - If possible, vote in a government which offers some kind of reliable welfare safety net, and be prepared to give up on having a real life, future, children, or normal social abilities of any kind.  :lol:

3/ The ability to learn (especially from others) - This might be the most difficult part.  Making a mod isn't really about doing stuff but learning how to do stuff.  I read The Forge for at least six months before I ever signed up here.  I only signed up for an easier-to-use search function, and it was probably another six months before I posted.  In that time I must've read (if not understood) every tutorial that existed back then.  It's worth doing, if you're serious.

I had even more to say than this, but I reckon I've been boring enough already.

Warmest Regards!​

Mine was:
Played MB nonstop
Then bought Warband and played it nonstop
Tried to mod and failed 3-4 times in a row
Finally figured it out to learn a bit of normal coding (not anything like Ikaguia or Caba release.... more like item, troop, sound, music, etc)
Started a project
Got it into Beta
Still working on it now. :smile:

Ok,here's mine,called:
An Epic Failure.
I got MNB.
I got Troop and Item editor
Started to edit a bit Asoiaf mod for old 0.903
Then i started experimenting with 1011 module
Figured out how to add new meshes,and started retexturing with my few modding knowledge frome games such as AoM Titans(Lord_Invincible in that forum) and Heroes of Might and Magic 5(Lord_Immortal at heroescommunity.com)
Got Better Than None open source mod and learned how to merge mods.
Started making LotR Mod...failed
Started making LoM&M mod...failed again
Got Warband
Started making some more failures...
Started A Time For Wolves---Still working on it

My scheme of coming to be was:
1. Lurk around in the forums, acquire knowledge;
2. Register, learn modding;
3. Try and create a really big project (and fail);
4. Try and create a really big project (and fail(again));
5. Try to write a simple yet remotely interesting script (or create some models), share and dicuss it in the forge
6. Understand how modding works and begin a real project.

1.Registred
2.Started wandering about the warband section, (not the modding one)
3.Discovered the module system tutorials, and wondered what is the module system
4.Installed python and stuff.
5.Started making different troops.
6.Started a first mod, wich basically just adds faction to calradia with new units.
7.Found the idea stupid and killed the "mod".
8.learned more, and discovered how to make recruits from towns.
9.Was feeling like a master-coder :cool:
10.Started looking on the forge and understanding the basis
11.Started learning some modelling in wings, and texturing in gimp (still learning now).
12.after some months of doing nothing, started a mod wich is still going on the tracks :grin:
13.Still working on my mod, and contributing in some others.

Well, I don't consider myself a pro modder or something, but lemme tell 'bout myself.
1. That was at, like, 2008 or something. I hear about M&B. It was 0.903 back then...
... A month later I take a break from playing nonstop.
2. After 1.011 is out, I play again. More normally now - for half a year and not nonstop. After I pretty much completed, I decided to look at some mods. They all were awesome. I started thinking "How do change the game like THAT?" Not understanding ANYTHING about modding, I go ahead, copy Native folder and name it "New Calradia"...
...It remains unmodified to this moment.
3. Some time later, I start playing M&B again (native). This time, I find it lacking some troops and features. I found the topic "82 little txt tweaks" and start getting them in. I decide to make some changes of my own (to the tweaks), the game starts crashing at random moments. There's the first error (of a lot, a lot of errors)
!
Also, about here I registered to the forums.
4. After Warband is out, I play Native for the whole spring and the first two months of summer. Then, I get Morgh's tools & add my own troops. My OWN TROOPS!...
...I was pretty much in ecstasy.
I tried to make some large-scale changes, and I hit the wall. I then decided to read around the forums a bit. I find out about the so-called "Module System" (it sounded like some thing I'll never use). I get it, get Python & stuff. Right there my true modder story begins!
5. I had no ideas until I saw a thread about a Irish faction at the end of the summer. I contacted the OP and two weeks later he had the troop tree ready. At the end of September I had it ready...
...then I had to make the world map.
6. I didn't know how to do the mapping stuff. Trying and failing several times got me burying the mod. I try several other projects; only one reaches the troop tree making and stops after that.
7. At the beginning of this year (2011), my second team member returns. We decide to merge the Irish faction and my idea.
8. I have no time due to school. The mod gets almost no attention. I try several other ideas as well (including a story mod), but they go nowhere.
9. Right now, at summer, I'm restarting my mod ONCE AGAIN! I'm working on it right now.
So, that's it. I'm not the best storyteller or anything, I just decided to share my story with you guys :smile:
P.S. That's longer than expected.

• I got hooked on Mount & Blade.
  • Then I got hooked on Star Wars Conquest
  • I wanted autofire in SWC so I researched autofire code, but nothing was adequate
  • I bugged Swyter about coding questions.
  • I tried to create autofire back in Fall 2010 and ended up having no idea what I was doing.(fail)
  • Then I did a small coding project for RevanShan (enlistment), but was not satisfied with quality and response.
  • RevanShan offered me a coding position for Hiridia and I accepted.
  • Worked on Hiridia sporadically and this past winter started coding autofire again.(partial success)
  • After a lot of work and even more time testing, I finally got a finished autofire plus I refined enlistment.(success)

Oh, God, this post is from 2011 and is horrible. Time to remaster it.

A good friend of mine told me he'd played a game with swords and horses. I distinctly remember him saying "You're going to like it a lot". This must've been in 2008, and I must've been 12 years old.
I did like it a lot. The concept of "mods" got me looking for mods, and I found this forum. In it, I found remarkable things like Mirathei's formations kit and Highlander's Age of Machinery. The formations kit was the first thing I tried to "mod" into my game. And thus, a saga began.
Said friend, another friend, and me, were really into the game. Decided we'd make a mod. WORLD WAR 3. YEAH. I must've spent dozens of classes writing troop trees. (God, I love writing troop trees.)
However, my friends never did actually put any effort into this. In time, they stopped playing the game; so did I, though I continued modding.

My first attempt to make a WW3 mod somehow ended with cities having bandits instead of guards, whilst Borcha was the lord. To this day, I have absolutely no idea how that happened. It was some simple, innocuous change, too... or maybe it wasn't.

As the years went by, and I learnt to code (both real coding and mod-coding), I decided to mount a full-scale project. Tonnes of features, vast scope, etc. Dragged that **** along for years, and never did complete it. The badge of failure shall ever be with me... Though the experience taught me a lot of things, and I also happened to grow up in the process.

I did do some other bits and pieces of varying quality in that time, but they were mostly a by-product of the learning, not its cause. Modifying cdvader's outposts kit was the first proper thing that actually taught me how to operate the ModSys.

So, if I may repeat the advice of multiple others: start off small and figure out what you're (supposed to be) doing. A gigantic project sounds pretty cool in your imagination or on paper, but if it's your first time, it's probably bound to fail.

1.  Bought Warband on Steam; a friend played Mount and Blade, thought I'd check it out.
2.  Played 2 days, liked a lot of things about the engine, but didn't care for a lot of the main game design.
3.  Started modding; about a week in, it started to look like I could do everything I wanted, and I was between other projects, so I started a serious mod, with the excuse that, if nothing else, it would be resume material  :lol:
4.  About a month and a half and a heck of a lot of work later, first version of the mod was out.

The rest of it is, as they say, history.

I'm not going to list what I did because I had professional experience before modding, and knew what I was getting into.

Instead, here's some concentrated wisdom for new, inexperienced people thinking about getting into modding.

- there is a massive graveyard of mod threads and beta mods buried under more and more new mod threads - think about it for a moment - you don't want your work to end up there, right?
- if you are not experienced, join a team - don't start your own mod that will inevitably fail
- be very careful what team you join (remember that most of them will fail) - they should be regularly active for at least a few months, have plenty of stuff done and have a playable beta release that you like
- prefer teams with nice, friendly people you'll get along with and share similar ideas
- avoid teams with teenage/immature mod leaders - they are quick to start a mod, and quick to disappear
- research the posting histories of team members - it may be the difference between joining the right and the wrong team

- dump your girlfriend and quit your studies or job.. just kidding :smile:
- to be any good, you'll need to invest plenty of time learning new stuff - once you are past the (steep) initial learning curve, you'll know how deep you want to go
- don't spend too much time whoring for attention on the mod thread - getting "awesome" posts from noobs is meaningless and hollow
- get your fun from actually doing new, interesting stuff and working with your teammates - that's the best and most lasting satisfaction you can get out of modding
- don't get too dreamy and ambitious about all you might do - get practical about what can be done in a short time to make the mod releasable and complete
- finish the damn thing and you'll be one of the few who made it this far (really - there should be a hall of fame for people who actually go beyond incomplete betas and finish mods)

- eventually, real life will take over and/or you won't have that much fun modding anymore
- tell your people you are getting out, there's nothing more demoralizing than team members disappearing
- don't make promises you can't keep, but finish your stuff as best as you can, and tell your teammates what remains to be done

I've been here quite a while, over three long years.  So excuse my lack of summarizing skills.

[list type=decimal]

[*]It was march of 2009 and my brother bought Micromanía, a Spanish PC games magazine.
We didn't have Internet at home so we usually installed lots of demos that came in the DVD.

[*]I was modding Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 back then. Creating a mod titled Broken Sword.
After three years working on it never released it. I was so young, 15-16 years old.

[*]I saw my brother playing a so-called free game named Mount&Blade. We shared computer.
The first thing that I thought was about ugly craps and uninstalling. But seeing that bunch of mods in existence we got The Last Days.
I opened the game root and saw the texture and modules folder. Looked easy.

[*]Started playing. Was mostly fun, but I got tired shortly.
So I went to the library and downloaded every forum page that interested me and everything that looked like a tool from the repository.

A good friend told me how to compile the Module System. One year later I had more than 8 half-made private mods.
Three of them SW mods, one racing game, another titled Battle&Field 2412 (don't ask) and an enhanced version of Ibanez's Battlestar Galactica with mouse controls.

[*]I didn't liked the font at all, so took some references and made a program to change it, it was my first tool.
Also translated the game to Spanish before the official patch came out.

Went to the public library again and registered in here. Was the first time I uploaded something.

[*]IronLauncher was made for using custom fonts (the data folder wasn't moddable yet)
Also helped HokieBT doing animations, code and models. Slowly I became part of the Dev Team.

Got more and more active on TaleWorlds, releasing stuff and trying to help people.

[*]On winter of 2010 I finally got Internet and took over Star Wars Conquest. I relieved HokieBT that had problems in RL.
Later, together with RevanShan released 0.9.0.3

[*]SWC keeps me busy since then, and I got hooked to this game and its modders until today. I look back and it makes me feel old.

[/list]

What would I tell to every newcomer? Everything could be resumed in the following: Try it yourself. And fail as much as you need. As much fails you have as better you'll get.

And here comes the golden rule: Have fun.
That's the key. Never forget it.

PS: Follow MadVader's wisdom (up there) for further pro knowings. Those lessons are usually learn after years of experience. So you can abbreviate a little.

Well, I remember finding m&b in 2006 or -5 I think? I loved it. IT was everything I ever wanted from a medieval game. But since of my crappy comp ,I couldn't play much. I created an account here, but didn't post too much. When I did, my threads were quite useless, filled with horrible grammar and mucho emoticons. I started a mod project, which I failed horribly. I didn't know what I was doing. Only thing I was cabable of doing a map. Nothing else. Didn't get far with it so the project died. I remember trying to get my items in-game that I had made, but it looked so complicated that I didn't even bother trying. After a few years, or more, I started modeling. I wanted to start a project again, but this time, I wouldn't fail. So, I decided to do a Roman timeframe mod. It twas good for a few days, then I got bored. + Seeing that there are already a few which are very good, I knew that I didn't stand a chance. Then I begun thinking, what I could create that no one else hasn't yet done, and I even would have fun doing. A mod about Finland in WW2. I started with modeling. Never had tried gun modeling, but I picked it up pretty fast and became better and better all the time, both texturing and modeling. But it took almost a year to get results that I'm very fine nowadays. I also started contributing to other projects, and even created a few tutorials for the community. I even created my own osp package

. Later on, I promised myself that when I started my mod project (Finland At WW2), I wouldn't give up by any chance. And that I haven't still done. I'm still working on it. The mod is very ambitous, especially for a new comer modder like me at the time. Most people didn't believe on it's survival, but when they started seeing that we actually got pretty decent stuff out, they started believing that it could someday be very big. Nowadays, I'm working on 2 mods, Finland At WW2 and Crusaders: Way to Expiation, contributing to a few mods, expanding my osp package, creating a tutorial series consisting of modeling(Basic and Advanced), uvmapping, texturing. I'm training my self constantly on texturing and modeling.

Heard about it on Moddb.
Played for about a month.
Joined the modding community.
Read a few tuts on modding.
Learned basic modelling.
Made a few weapons, got them in game.
Asked some dumb questions.
Become freelance modeller.
Made a few models for mods that never released.
Start basic coding.
Made a few models for a mod that did release.
Somehow become team member on released mod.
Got burned out when Warband came out because all of the new people were annoying.
Left.
Came back.
Started modding/modelling again, reviving the mod I was a team member of.

MadVader said:
I'm not going to list what I did because I had professional experience before modding, and knew what I was getting into.

Instead, here's some concentrated wisdom for new, inexperienced people thinking about getting into modding.

- dump your girlfriend and quit your studies or job.. just kidding :smile:

Oh, just saw it. Actually it is very promising and useful. Off to main post...

This looks like it could be helpful to others. I'm so tired of seeing this:

1.Played MB for a couple hours
2.Got an epic idea to make a mod with no knowledge in modding or even good knowledge of the game
3.Made a thread that pretty much said "I don't know how to mod but I have great ideas"
4.Mod go kaboom

The End.

Well, it was early 2010 and I met a fantastic girl named Native. We got along well and had lots of fun. But eventually we both grew tired of each other and split up. I got into some others, like Litus and 1257 AD. I decided I'd try it myself and started up a project about Calradia colonizing new lands. When it achieved no popularity and I grew tired of the idea I quit and practiced a bit more on different things. I tried to help out the Redwall team, didn't go so well.

Now, my friend Joseph wanted to make a WW1 mod with me, but a fellow named Spearings had already started one and we both joined the team. Eventually Spearings left and I took over the position of mod leader (mostly organizing and supervising how development goes) and still did some modelling and coding. Once we got our beta out I wanted to start thinking about a new full time mod to make, so I left the mod in Joseph and Wolfy's hands.

I'm still learning, but I'm getting better and I hope with the help of this community I can succeed in the future with new mod ideas and projects.

Caba'Drin, Somebody, GetAssista,Ibanez, Ibidil, Slavomir and all you experienced modders, i am inviting you to have a share here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom