Throwing weapons

What do you think about throwing all the weapons?

• It will be fantastic!

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • It won't be great...

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Meh. Most weapons aren't meant for throwing, so you'd have weird results. Not to mention that that'd mean every weapon would need two versions; one for players and one for bots, because else bots will probably fling all their armament at you and then try to punch your lights out and your face in.

Lord Brutus said:
FrisianDude said:
I saw it in a comic strip once. :razz:
I think your reading material needs a substantial upgrade.  Just sayin'
Well it was two knights who tried to stop an evil mage from fleeing and one of them flung his sword after the guy and it got stuck. So it wasn't even all THAT far fetched (in context.)

I was thinking, why can't we throw spears? The Romans have heavy javelins, so why can't we throw spears? Usually they're stable enough if you want to throw it, probably to chase fleeing enemies? And since mostly spearmen have sidearms, they won't go punching people's faces. An i only mean spears, not other polearms like staves or scythes.

FireWaterThunderSteel said:
I was thinking, why can't we throw spears? The Romans have heavy javelins, so why can't we throw spears? Usually they're stable enough if you want to throw it, probably to chase fleeing enemies? And since mostly spearmen have sidearms, they won't go punching people's faces. An i only mean spears, not other polearms like staves or scythes.
Yeah.. I can see Rhodoks. Rhodoks throwing their spears at Swadian cavalry and then they take swords to stop the charge... yeah, sounds very good and reasonable... :roll:

Rhodocks have mostly pikes. Also, he probably means that 'throwing spears' should be a throwing weapon, just like javelins, to use BESIDES the common spears. Like Sea-raiders with THROWING axes and MELEE axes.

Captured Joe said:
Rhodocks have mostly pikes. Also, he probably means that 'throwing spears' should be a throwing weapon, just like javelins, to use BESIDES the common spears. Like Sea-raiders with THROWING axes and MELEE axes.

No, what I meant was normal spears (spear, shortened spear, bamboo spear) to be used as a desperate measure one-time throw. I've read somewhere that an army of spearmen throwing their spears at fleeing enemy in a futile attempt to stop them.

Captured Joe said:
Oh, I get it... So units are supposed to take two long and heavy spears just to throw one of them. Brilliant idea!

Btw. throwing spears are in game already.... :roll:

How about a middle ground?
A toggle button that enables "throwing mode" only for the player; similar to the toggle that enables "melee mode" for throwing weapons in some mods. This would solve the "AI disarming themselves" issue.
And true, seeing lances fly would be silly but think about this: you can knock an enemy to the ground with a shield bash or a bludgeon, why not do the same by throwing your weapon at the feet of a fleeing enemy.
A one handed axe could be thrown, no problem, and it could do cutting damage and stick in his back.
A one handed mace could do blunt damage (you hit his head) or trip the enemy.
Spears would basically be bigger (and therefore a bit less effective) javelins, but they can still pierce/trip him.
For swords, Skallagrim does a nice job debating here: .
Two handed axes could be thrown with both hands and bardiches could be thrown like spears. If they do not cut through the armor, the weight of the thing alone should be enough to stumble the enemy.
And mauls? Why not? If you're strong enough to swing them about all day you're strong enough to throw them a few feet. Think of the olympic hammer throw technique. You don't have to spin like a top and then let go, also you're not throwing them 100 yards. But one pirouette would give enough momentum and the impact from one of these would surely be enough to make the enemy trip.
Lances and polearms would be off the table. Except maybe staves.
And another idea: shields can also be thrown. Captain America jokes aside, this is very plausible. But don't take my word for it, check this out:

I once saw Spartacus throw his sword, but Doctore (sp?) said if you throw you're sword you're dead...

As far as the problem of having all your soldiers throw their weapons, why not just tell them to hold their fire? Or have a 'melee mode' and 'ranged mode' accessible either through the f-commands, or the backspace screen, or both.

Back
Top Bottom