What are you playing right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Played a bit of the Xenoblade Chronicles 3D that had been sitting on my shelf for a while since my portable gaming has been mostly Monster Hunter-based, and damn, I wish the Japanese would steal ideas from Western games more frequently, it seems to have produced the best games of the past decade or so (the Souls games and whatnot). I regret not playing it sooner.

Just finished Limbo: I have to say I'm relieved I didn't pay for it. Puzzle difficulty based on timed reactions (with bad controls), stuff happening outside screen and no signs like "new interactive stuff, this is a button". There is no guess, just try, die, see how the mechanic works.

And then there is Faster Than Light, so much love and hate

Along with Warband, I've been having a lot of fun with Overwatch lately. I mostly play Mercy unless someone else really wants to heal, and then I play Pharah or Tracer depending on who is going to be more useful. I'm better at Tracer though.

More Men of War: Assault Squad 2 with Radetzky. Until recently, it seemed like the common tactic that we saw used by attacking players in the Frontlines mode was a slow, cautious advance, often supported by copious amounts of artillery to soften up the defenders ahead of the infantry and armor. The map we played (there were only like 3 or 4 maps) often was an urban map that encouraged this, as it was harder to get anywhere by just zerging in the confined streets. A few days ago, though, the mod that we use added a bunch of new Frontlines maps that are a lot more open, and the tactic we're frequently seeing enemy players use to attack us is a great big zerg rush across the entire front, with squads of infantry supporting very large amounts of cheap armored units. The idea seems (to me) to be, instead of countering the enemy with better tanks, to simply overwhelm the defending tanks and AT guns with the sheer number of vehicles that will advance at once or with in short amount of time. As a result, until today, Radetzky and I have sucked at many of the Frontlines defense missions that we've played recently.

We saw this tactic used in the last match we played, where we were the defenders on this mostly open map. The ground on this map starts out low, with the attacking side having to advance across a swamp, and then gradually rises towards the defenders' end. We started at our edge of the swamp, and as soon as the preparation time ran out and the battle started, all hell broke loose. On came the zerg rush. Our guns claimed a few vehicles but were quickly overwhelmed, and our lines were overrun within a couple of minutes of the start. We were quickly pushed back to the midway point of the map, where a pair of major capture/spawn points are. Luckily, these points sit behind a bit of a ridge, so the tanks down in the swamp can have a hard time hitting enemy tanks guarding these points. I fought hard with what I could spawn in in front of the enemy, while Radetzky regrouped farther back. Some of the enemy tanks made it over the ridge in their initial push, as the enemy, seeming to think that they had us crushed already, advanced with everything. Even one of their M12 self-propelled artillery pieces advanced to the frontline. It was an interesting situation because the enemy was coming over the ridge towards the points, while my reinforcements were spawning at the point and immediately finding themselves in close-range fighting as I desperately tried to keep the enemy from securing the capture area. It was pretty intense mayhem, but things finally turned in our favor after Radetzky set up a Jagdpanther behind the frontline and started knocking out the surviving tanks that had crested the ridge, and I brought in a couple of little Pz.Is and used their MGs to keep the enemy infantry out of the capture area. Radetzky's Jagdpanther, along with a Sturmtiger that he brought in as well, basically won the game for us, as they wiped out any enemy armor that came close, keeping my Pz.Is safe. One of my Pz.Is stayed alive for quite a while, machine gunning the enemy infantry rushes and covering my own few troops. A number of enemy tanks tried to crest the ridge to destroy it, but the Jagdpanther always dealt with them first. The fighting was still somewhat intense now and then, but things had slowed down from the sheer bloody mayhem of that first charge. By the time the enemy finally knocked out the Pz.I and overran the capture point, there were only 10-12 minutes left in the match, which had been set to be 40 minutes long. (At about the 20-minute mark, it seemed to me to be amazing that we'd lasted that long.) We had one last line of points to defend, but things got ugly in the last few minutes, as the enemy, having gotten their momentum back, advanced and managed to knock out all our armor. Their infantry, supported by artillery fire, overran our lines in front of the points, and another round of desperate close-range point defense began, only this time with infantry and machine guns instead of tanks. I'd used up most of my spawn currency already, so I couldn't afford tanks anyway. We held for a minute, but just as they were finally overrunning us and I'd spawned in basically everything I could, the match ended, with us coming out with just a bit bigger score than the enemy team. We won. It was a hell of a close victory, though.

I've posted some screenshots in the Screenshots Thread of the carnage along those middle points, btw.

Fallout: New Vegas

So the Gobi Campaign Rifle is amazing. The gory decapitation of Viper raiders is a wonderful sight to behold. :lol:

Any reason why people consider it to be better than the YCS/86? I know it's probably because of the crits and larger clip, but the YCS does use dirt common ammo and kills almost anything in one shot. I'unno, maybe I'm mistaken, as I hadn't used the Gobi against tough targets yet (AKA do the quarry junction quest, which is how I broke in the YCS when I got it).

Gobi Campaign Rifle? YCS/186? Pffft, what are those dirt ****locks? Varmint rifles all the way, baby!

Been playing some Spec Ops: The Line, lately.
I ain't even mad, I actually enjoy spamming white phosphorus at innocent civilians. Very fun. :smile:

Playing Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, I really don't like the whole vampires living in the city idea, the whole Queen of the Damned aesthetic, its just disgusting to me, I really don't like it and its ruining the enjoyment for me. I like goofy vampires that live in castles and go ''mwahahaha'' that is the good ****.

I actually have it in physical copy, still, like most of the pre-Steam era games. Kids won't know the sacrifices necessary to buy Empire Earth gold, full with all the stuff.

I've been playing Hegemony: Wars of Ancient Greece. I'm doing the Philip of Macedon campaign and it's punishing. I'm constantly under attack by some enemy or the other. I'm not really supposed to pursue diplomacy with anyone it seems. The supply system is nifty but sometimes very oblique, and some regions don't seem able to supply themselves at all. I want to achieve the campaign goals but there are just so many of them I feel overwhelmed.

Back
Top Bottom