Kingdom Borders

Users who are viewing this thread

wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:
Omzdog said:
Any more thoughts?
Border guards? Caravans have to go through a certain checkpoint to enter the  country.
Excellent idea! You could prohibit caravans of some faction to enter your territory!
A trade embargo? Thats cool, or a raise a tarrif.
The Checkpoints could be either on a bridge or in a valley.
The idea is to have somewhere thats defensible.

Dalkar said:
Expanding the on the bridge option, I'd love to see bridge battles like in Total War. Choke points ftw :grin:
HOLD THE SHEILDWALL! KEEP THOSE DAMNED HORSEMEN ON THE BRIDGE!
Tell the Rhodocks to open fire on the bridge!

KuroiNekouPL said:
Well... Game is played in days, not months or years, it's not enough time, to change buildings in whole towns :wink:
I'M not talking about changing buildings. We're talking about culture change and border control.

wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:
Those valleys between the Khergit/Vaegir territory would be ideal for putting that border line.

Now here's another question, should we simply have borders, or should we also have areas of cultural influence? Like if you hold an area long enough then the local culture starts to look like the culture that controls it. This should be optional of course.
You mean something like changing scenes over time,I don't know is it possible to make but it's great idea!

It was a response, to this one.
You post too fast and I didn't noticed, that there are more posts after this :grin:

EDIT:
Since you mentioned bridges, what about roads? It should increase speed and caravans should route only on them. No riding through forests and such :smile:
Also, AI parties would often choose to go on roads, to get faster, so you could predict where you could meet your enemy :smile:

KuroiNekouPL said:
wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:
Those valleys between the Khergit/Vaegir territory would be ideal for putting that border line.

Now here's another question, should we simply have borders, or should we also have areas of cultural influence? Like if you hold an area long enough then the local culture starts to look like the culture that controls it. This should be optional of course.
You mean something like changing scenes over time,I don't know is it possible to make but it's great idea!

It was a response, to this one.
You post too fast and I didn't noticed, that there are more posts after this :grin:

EDIT:
Since you mentioned bridges, what about roads? It should increase speed and caravans should route only on them. No riding through forests and such :smile:
Also, AI parties would often choose to go on roads, to get faster, so you could predict where you could meet your enemy :smile:
Also a good idea. A road going through the forest would be faster but also more dangerous.

Winterwolf00 said:
wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:
Omzdog said:
Any more thoughts?
Border guards? Caravans have to go through a certain checkpoint to enter the  country.
Excellent idea! You could prohibit caravans of some faction to enter your territory!
Yeah,trade embargo would be the right words.And idea about trade routes is great,so you could always check are your caravans doing something or not!

wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:
wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:
Omzdog said:
Any more thoughts?
Yeah,trade embargo would be the right words.And idea about trade routes is great,so you could always check are your caravans doing something or not!
I can see a new type of quest from this.

Smuggling.  :mrgreen:

Interesting read so far. Personally I'd like to see towns/castles have npc Captains/Guards that operate the garrison when lords are not present. If enemies try to go past they would rally forth a portion of the garrison to try and drive them away or intercept them. That would be their only purpose. Maybe they would have to be individual troop type so if/they die another gets spawned to replace them. Not sure if any of this is possible though.

Pundragon said:
Interesting read so far. Personally I'd like to see towns/castles have npc Captains/Guards that operate the garrison when lords are not present. If enemies try to go past they would rally forth a portion of the garrison to try and drive them away or intercept them. That would be their only purpose. Maybe they would have to be individual troop type so if/they die another gets spawned to replace them. Not sure if any of this is possible though.
You've got something similar in many mods,patrols,but they usually count about 15-20 men!After you defeat them,new one is spawned! 

Pundragon said:
This is an interesting idea, although I think they could have more use then that.
I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to stick names and appearance to the rest of the npc's.
And I mean ALL the NPC's, I get so annoyed at the laziness of all the villagers names being *Villager*.

Winterwolf00 said:
Pundragon said:
This is an interesting idea, although I think they could have more use then that.
I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to stick names and appearance to the rest of the npc's.
Agree,but you can already issue orders to your lords about patrolling around specific castle or town(when you are a king of course)!In TEATRC mod you have characters with names but they usually belong to bandits or something similar,and factions patrols are something like black knights,they usually beat the **** out of me!Anyway,concerning border patrols,that would be amazing! 

Since we are talking about economy:
- Clear production of goods like in old M&B: City X provides A, needs B. City Y provides B, but needs A. Honestly, Now I don't really know where to buy/ sell goods.
- Send caravan with certain good to a certain place.
- Weapon and armour trading. Buy cheaper in peace, sell more expensive in war.
- Bigger impact of wealth on warfare. Wealthy nations/lords should be able to have more and better troops than poor ones.
- Outside Calradia trade - import/export of exclusive goods in certain towns(Sea ports, towns near Calradian passes)
- Bribing.

That's all I got right now. What do you think?

btw. I know it wont be implemented... (I'm sure that nothing will be implemented at all)

Winterwolf00 said:
And I mean ALL the NPC's, I get so annoyed at the laziness of all the villagers names being *Villager*.

Well certain npcs are given names to create association with them. Giving every npc a name, even if randomized may mean people would expect more from them than their generic dialogues. Might as well give all your troops individual names too. At least they are useful to you unlike villagers.  :smile:

To get back to the topic, other things I could think might help could include:

1. A road system. Faster travel, management, and all that.
2. Patrols that spot enemies then actually return to the castle/town they came from and bring back reinforcements.
3. A bigger/better map that makes more sense.
4. Garrisons that can be lead by non Lord character npcs to drive away armies that get close.
5. A militia that spawns x amount of troops to help buff up defense when besieged. Low quality but even commoners fought for their home  from time to time or it was forced on them.
6. Ping! A signal that sends off for help from allied factions nearby as well as your own.
7. Others?

KuroiNekouPL said:
- Clear production of goods like in old M&B: City X provides A, needs B. City Y provides B, but needs A. Honestly, Now I don't really know where to buy/ sell goods.
- Bigger impact of wealth on warfare. Wealthy nations/lords should be able to have more and better troops than poor ones.
- Outside Calradia trade - import/export of exclusive goods in certain towns(Sea ports, towns near Calradian passes)
- Bribing.

btw. I know it wont be implemented... (I'm sure that nothing will be implemented at all)
Uh,those are amazing ideas,especially the one about expensiveness during wars!And yeah,bribing would be great.But I wouldn't be so sure about implementation,if you've ever tried Brytenwalda,you could see what human imagination can do.You have spies and lot of stuff that are uncompetitive!God bless pure imagination!

KuroiNekouPL said:
- Bribing.

Good suggestions, but I think you'll need a new thread for all that.

A lot of ideas so far. Some relates to borders some doesn't really. But if you ask me if you script kingdom borders similar to how I suggested everything else could possibly fall into place by conception. Naturally if kingdoms have borders caravan trade would need to be different and the economy would need to change. Areas infested with bandits and raiders would need to be different.

Not sure how many of these suggestions actually get read by the devs but we've got some good ideas in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom