Kingdom Borders

Users who are viewing this thread

omzdog

Grandmaster Knight
Hail,

One thing I don't like about Warband is how armies will target simply weak castles and cities. Sometimes they'll be successful and claim an island in a sea of enemy territory. The enemy then retakes it and the king now whats to reclaim this obscure parcel of land in a far away enemy kingdom. One way to fix this is to make the kingdoms acknowledge they have borders and have martial focus on these borders. castles in border lands have more garrison and all patrols are set up on borders. Additionally, lords should focus on attacking border territoy of an enemy instead of inner kingdom lands. At least I feel like that makes more logistical sense.

I agree,it happens to me all the time,first castle some lord trying to take is the furthest one!Borders should be between some kind of regions,every fort or town one region,so when you capture it whole region with borders belong to you!

Dalkar said:
Unless I'm wrong wrc, you're suggesting something like the Total War strategy map? That's an awesome idea :smile:
Exactly! Good old TW,but don't know is it possible to make something similar!

wrc said:
I agree,it happens to me all the time,first castle some lord trying to take is the furthest one!Borders should be between some kind of regions,every fort or town one region,so when you capture it whole region with borders belong to you!
Do the nearby villages still become yours when you conquer a town?
Or do you have to take those to?

Winterwolf00 said:
wrc said:
Do the nearby villages still become yours when you conquer a town?
Or do you have to take those to?
Of course they would become yours,but more villages stronger the fort etc.(btw TW doesn't have villages so this would be much better)!

I like this idea very much! I always missed Total War style borders, which were very cool. Thanks to them, you knew where is your land and where you're prohibited to go. This would be very useful and also, it'd look very cool. Right now map seems a bit too... Open. I do not feel, that a faction controls the land around cities and castles.

In short: I support this idea.

I feel though that even TW doesn't get the true sense of protecting kingdom borders. You'd often find AI penetrating deep into your territory to besiege an insignificant city. Wars I believe are fought on changing fronts, not random spots. So emphasizing border wars in WB would be crucial to developing campaign AI even better than Creative Assembly's AI engine in the TW series.

Omzdog said:
I feel though that even TW doesn't get the true sense of protecting kingdom borders. You'd often find AI penetrating deep into your territory to besiege an insignificant city. Wars I believe are fought on changing fronts, not random spots. So emphasizing border wars in WB would be crucial to developing campaign AI even better than Creative Assembly's AI engine in the TW series.
But in TW series borders are often placed on rivers, hills etc, where you can very well block enemies from entering your country. Similar thing should be in WB.

Also, I think that enemy shouldn't be able to go "through" castle in map.
Right now you can just go just right by enemy's castle and nothing happens except for being spotted.(does it actually have any impact on game?)
I think that when you are too close to foe's castle you should get stopped or/and even attacked by defenders, even if you don't besiege them.

KuroiNekouPL said:
Also, I think that enemy shouldn't be able to go "through" castle in map.
Right now you can just go just right by enemy's castle and nothing happens except for being spotted.(does it actually have any impact on game?)
I think that when you are too close to foe's castle you should get stopped or/and even attacked by defenders, even if you don't besiege them.
I agree with that,but I think that depends on your army strength/number,if your army is small and you want to sneak into enemy town,one of their lords will almost certainly attack you.To be honest I don't remember whether it is so in the native but certainly is in most of the mods! 

Those valleys between the Khergit/Vaegir territory would be ideal for putting that border line.

Now here's another question, should we simply have borders, or should we also have areas of cultural influence? Like if you hold an area long enough then the local culture starts to look like the culture that controls it. This should be optional of course.

Winterwolf00 said:
Those valleys between the Khergit/Vaegir territory would be ideal for putting that border line.

Now here's another question, should we simply have borders, or should we also have areas of cultural influence? Like if you hold an area long enough then the local culture starts to look like the culture that controls it. This should be optional of course.
You mean something like changing scenes over time,I don't know is it possible to make but it's great idea!

wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:

You mean something like changing scenes over time,I don't know is it possible to make but it's great idea!
By changing scenes are you referring to changing the building style?
Nothing like that, just being able to recruit Nord troops in conquered Vaegir land.
Perhaps some other realistic changes but changing the building type would be unrealistic.

Winterwolf00 said:
wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:

Nothing like that, just being able to recruit Nord troops in conquered Vaegir land.
Perhaps some other realistic changes but changing the building type would be unrealistic.
Not really,e.g.:Sarranids take over Rhodok's town or whatever,they would probably demolish most of the buildings over time and build their own!So,maybe it would be good idea that you can't recruit units at all in recently captured villages or forts until they change they culture to yours!All what you could get in villages would be rebels.

wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:
wrc said:
Winterwolf00 said:

Not really,e.g.:Sarranids take over Rhodok's town or whatever,they would probably demolish most of the buildings over time and build they own!So,maybe it would be good idea that you can't recruit units at all in recently captured villages or forts until they change they culture to yours!All what you could get in villages would be rebels.
Good points.

Back
Top Bottom