11th century two-handers

Users who are viewing this thread

I've recently read a couple of references to two-handed swords being used as early as the 11th century by Swabians (not Swadians) in the service of the Holy Roman Emperor. Their most notable appearance seems to have been at the battle of Civitate in 1053, where they did quite well against the Norman cavalry.

Update: The Chivalry Total War mod has Swabian units pictured in the link below, but I have no idea whether they based the blades on contemporary illustrations or archeological evidence, or if it's just an educated guess.
http://img316.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swabians0sp.jpg

Did quite well? They lost. And the Pope was captured by the Normans.

Either way, the type of 'two-hand swords' common in this period (and even much, much earlier) is similar in use and style to the Dacian falx, not to a European medieval two-hand sword as you might expect.

Of course! You left your panties in my bedroom, I had to bring them back.

And I -said- I'd keep stopping by as often as I could, so this shouldn't be surprising.

I'm wanting to, but those threads go -so- fast that by the time I get back I can't follow it all quickly enough to make any kind of intelligent response. And you know me, I'm not the type to pop in with "that's kewl, lol" and leave it at that.

Then, sadly, your child cannot become Death.

Becoming Death requires that the rider must be on a Pale Horse AND that the rider has Hades riding after him.

Wow. This went downhill fast.

For the record, Aryndil is the woman of the relationship. But he's also not a mammal. He lays eggs. It's really awesome. You guys have to watch him do it sometime. It kind of looks like it hurts, but you still can't turn away, know what I mean?

They're excellent when scrambled or boiled. Just don't softboil them, or the evil contained within the eggs will end up turning YOU into some form of demon.

hmm this topic is raped...

anyway i thought you used a twohander more as a spear/polearm weapon. to use against spear and pike etc

Gasolineh said:
hmm this topic is raped...

anyway i thought you used a twohander more as a spear/polearm weapon. to use against spear and pike etc
Eh?  Could you rephrase this, I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean that you thought twohanders were used like spears, or to counter spears?

Cool! An answer! And then a bunch of bizarre references to bleaching horses and eating children

I'd never heard of falx-like weapons being used at such a late date. Any archeological evidence, depictions, or textual descriptions?

Back
Top Bottom