How heavy were shields

Users who are viewing this thread

Hmm, interesting. So not just moving the arm of teh shield for the block, but also swiveling the? And at teh same time being concious of your weapon. Now that seems like It takes tons of training, but would be awe-inspiring to watch.

Thank you for your enlightenment :smile:

Ezias said:
Hmm, interesting. So not just moving the arm of teh shield for the block, but also swiveling the? And at teh same time being concious of your weapon. Now that seems like It takes tons of training, but would be awe-inspiring to watch.

Thank you for your enlightenment :smile:
Well, the shield covers you enough that you don't really need to move it that much.  You hold the shield almost at arm's length, which really cuts off their angles.  The only real motion you need to make with the shield is dropping the edge if someone tries a very low cut.  Hell, you don't even need that, you can step back.  I like the roundshield because its very offensive, especially against a spear or single-sworder.  You run in and try as hard as you can to actively bind the opponent's weapon, whereas a strapped shield can't do that anywhere near as effectively.

really mer? I dunno, I guess I really would have to experience it firsthand. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that it makes no sense to me.

[/quote]
actively bind the opponent's weapon, whereas a strapped shield can't do that anywhere near as effectively.
[/quote]

you can can bind anopnets wepon with a straped wepon as for how much more efective using a boss sheld is i can not say as i have not used one but as a boss sheeld is not flat then it is easer for your oponent to remove thair sward whair as with a flater sheild v's an nother flat sheeld you are able to near pres both shels together while thair wepon is in in short arms are wonderfull for this sort of thing as i find wacthing other members of the groupe both partys find that thay have locked each others wepons inbetwen the sheldand as i myself havefound i realy need to start using a dager :razz:

matlid le sauvage said:
but as a boss sheeld is not flat then it is easer for your oponent to remove thair sward whair

My shield is flat and gripped by the boss.  Who told you that boss shields cannot be flat?  Most Viking shields were flat and gripped by the boss.  And why would it be harder to remove a sword from a flat shield than from a curved shield?

Oh, and I recommend trying Babelfish.  It is an elementary translation aid.

To anyone who thinks she is a freak = Dyslexy is a lack of coordination in brain needed to write and read properly. Or something like that.

ok ok no need to start foling me around teling everone about it and saying things like any one who thinks shes a freek  then..... ahhg
i shal eat your eyebals

Jaghatai Khan said:
To anyone who thinks she is a freak = Dyslexy is a lack of coordination in brain needed to write and read properly. Or something like that.
Ehm... Nice attempt at being nice, but it came out pretty wrong...

You said in other words "So you you think she is a freak? Well she only lacks some coordination which we find to be hugely normal." In fact the sentence basically proved she is a freak. However, the word freak has gotten a much harder and incorrect meaning over these last years. So it all depends.

What I'm trying to say is: Don't worry matlid, dyslexia is common enough and I doubt anyone will hold it against you.

<- Majorly dilexic, in particular with numbers, but bad with words too.

Don't sweat it, but don't use it as a crutch either. Work hard, overcome it, don't let it beat you. Never give up and just think you have to be a bad reader or speller.

As for shields they are typically ablative armour. Much like a motorcycle helmet you carry it around until its used then discard it.
The Roman scutum for instance is one of the larger shields, but t is also very lightweight. The Dura Europos shield only weighed 12 lbs which is not much for its size.

brasidus said:
The Dura Europos shield only weighed 12 lbs which is not much for its size.
Are you referring to the one found in Egypt, the almost complete one? I thought it was 22 pounds.

The shield commonly known as the Dura Europos weighs 12 lbs.

http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Shield.html

The everage weight of Imperial Roman Scutum comes in around 15 lbs.

Mine weighs around 15 1/2 and my bronze edging and umbo is quite a bit thicker than what we find in digs, and the wood is a bit thicker also on average.

Scan200012.jpg

An excellent write up on them:
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/scutum.html

I sold all that gear to buy a laptop. Bout time I replaced it I think.
I live in Burbank California....come & get it.  :twisted:

Eww, i hate laptops.  I can't believe you sold it for a poohy piece of modern tech lol. 

dang... that's pretty darned far *sob*  I guess you get to keep your stuff...... for now >)

That same gear is now available for less with a slight improvement on quality. That was my main reason for moving it. I hadn't used any of my gear for a couple of years when our first kid came, I had friends that were always borrowing my kit for events, so I asked them if they wanted to buy it, knowing that if I wanted back into it I could probably get better gear for less in a few years, and I was right.

Nowdays you can get a pretty full, top notch kit for a Roman Miles of the 1st century for around $500.00 if you shop smart.

Ahhh... I see... I mixed it a bit together.
I was apparently thinking of the Fuyum shield, which is indeed 22 pounds.

How I could have thought of Egypt with Eurpas in the name is beyond me. I guess I was a bit misinformed when I thought it was the only 'full shield found (seems it is the only complete republican shield found).
I even knew that Imperial shield wetre lighter (how much I wasn't sure of though).

Bah... I have made an ass of myself here. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom