Archer trajectory

Users who are viewing this thread

Alma69

Sergeant at Arms
How about some more realistic arrows trajectory and range. Right now this just look and fell so dull.
I understood is was implemented for prevent HS from a mile, but i think it is inaccurate enough to prevent that. Different trajectory for different bows seams to be a cool factor as well.
Throwing weapons seams to have too good range, specially compared to this what offer you bows.

Archery is juust fine!

If you do remove the crosshairs, i hope that archers to get more then just more accuracy as that wont make up for the loss of crosshairs o_O

I think removing crosshairs is stupid. Then bows just become less accurate because you don't know where the center of your screen is. But after the first week (maybe month) you will know. This will result in new players being even more worse then the experienced players then it is now. And the good players can still make headshots (almost) as good as they would with a crosshair. This also penalizes casual players (people who cannot spend every day playing) way more then with the current system, which would be bad thing in my opinion.

Also the crosshair only helps to say where it goes horizontally, other then that you have to guess the distance yourself anyway. I really do not see why removing the crosshair would make it any more fun then just having inaccurate bows, if that is the aim anyway. Apart from that I also think that historically bows were inaccurate, maybe Im wrong. But I you would need identical arrows, identical way of holding each arrow, identical wind etc. for it to be of any use.

Actually the whole problem with archery in the game is that there is only a limited amount of people. In real life I think it was more used en masse then a few archers trying to aim at people's head hundred meters away.

Anyway I don't see any reason to remove crosshairs.

Archery is very good in this mod, I see no reason to change it, the crosshair can stay for all I care.

Please don't touch it, I don't want my only hope of playing Warband to falter D:

Inaccurate ok, but bring some more power to them, missile trajectory is felling more like throwing rocks, range is too short, in one moment they get some weight on tip and get down like a dropped stone, not like a flying arrow.

Alma69 said:
Inaccurate ok, but bring some more power to them, missile trajectory is felling more like throwing rocks, range is too short, in one moment they get some weight on tip and get down like a dropped stone, not like a flying arrow.

This is a melee-based mod, that's why horses are so weak and archers are so short-ranged. It's designed to force you into fighting on foot at one point or another in the round.

Cav are actually pretty potent in the right hands.  :grin:

The perfect balance is almost there.

I've never been a big fan of removing the reticle to be honest, sort of removes the skill aspect in truth. I've been over this plenty in the old thread...

I own a northern-american indian bow myself, and I've fired it plenty. In real life you can have a very solid notion of where you're aiming at, and where it will land, at medium range with some practice, and you have a very good feel of the bow and how it works, so practicing is natural.

In a game, a reticle of sorts allows you to have that feel for where you're aiming at. Without any indicator, it's just a gimmick; you must fire once in order to realize where the hell your arrow will fly at in future tries. This might sound like it doesn't make much sense, but like when you first fire a bow in real life, you have a general idea of what to do, it's really hard to be a good shot with no sort of aiming indicator just by looking at a computer screen.

It's very possible to land easy hits at short ranges, but I don't play archer to be reliable only at the distance it's most dangerous for me, as well as have less window to land as many hits as possible. I certainly don't want it to be a sniper fest like Native, but I like it this way. I like being able to land hits while still feeling relatively safe. Archers pay for this ability with inferior survivability, close combat weapons and lower close combat stats. Things should be kept like they are.

HarkonHakoon said:
I've never been a big fan of removing the reticle to be honest, sort of removes the skill aspect in truth. I've been over this plenty in the old thread...

I own a northern-american indian bow myself, and I've fired it plenty. In real life you can have a very solid notion of where you're aiming at, and where it will land, at medium range with some practice, and you have a very good feel of the bow and how it works, so practicing is natural.

In a game, a reticle of sorts allows you to have that feel for where you're aiming at. Without any indicator, it's just a gimmick; you must fire once in order to realize where the hell your arrow will fly at in future tries. This might sound like it doesn't make much sense, but like when you first fire a bow in real life, you have a general idea of what to do, it's really hard to be a good shot with no sort of aiming indicator just by looking at a computer screen.

It's very possible to land easy hits at short ranges, but I don't play archer to be reliable only at the distance it's most dangerous for me, as well as have less window to land as many hits as possible. I certainly don't want it to be a sniper fest like Native, but I like it this way. I like being able to land hits while still feeling relatively safe. Archers pay for this ability with inferior survivability, close combat weapons and lower close combat stats. Things should be kept like they are.

I agree with you mostly, though reticle can be removed still leaving all it simulates, but to do that just removing it wont be enough. So if you want to make it perfect remove crosshair, but add string stretch indicator and change animation a bit so that arrow model would point at the middle of the screen when aiming in first person.

Or simply remove crosshair only for 3rd person view

That will add some balance as you will need to sacrifice better awareness of surroundings to have better aiming possibility.

And dont raise accuracy back to where it was if you do remove reticle, not only there are several ways to indicate middle of the screen without reticle, you dont look at it much after some practice, with high accuracy sniping headshots will be to frequent again.

Reticle makes less playing people more equal to experienced ones.

STARik said:
HarkonHakoon said:

I agree with you mostly, though reticle can be removed still leaving all it simulates, but to do that just removing it wont be enough. So if you want to make it perfect remove crosshair, but add string stretch indicator and change animation a bit so that arrow model would point at the middle of the screen when aiming in first person.

Or simply remove crosshair only for 3rd person view

That will add some balance as you will need to sacrifice better awareness of surroundings to have better aiming possibility.

And dont raise accuracy back to where it was if you do remove reticle, not only there are several ways to indicate middle of the screen without reticle, you dont look at it much after some practice, with high accuracy sniping headshots will be to frequent again.

Reticle makes less playing people more equal to experienced ones.
Yeah exactly, that's what I meant, we don't need the current reticle specifically, but we do need something that allows us to aim reliably. Removing any sort of aiming indicator is a sloppy method of tweaking archery in my opinion.

I'm just trying to keep it simple because the dev team has said in the past that it's not possible to tweak archery TOO much due to the modding limitations. The system you recommend sounds really good and I've though about something similiar before, but if we can't have that, I'd rather keep it as it is. :smile:

Defining 3rd 1st person view and hiding/showing reticle if necessary might be a little heavy solution, but tweaking shooting animation a bit to make you aim along the arrow could be done, only problems there is to make it without ruining sight from aside (if it looks good in 1st person it could look odd in 3rd) and not to "cut" string and arrow models with too close camera view.

Back
Top Bottom