PoP Chalenge

Users who are viewing this thread

Vinhas

Recruit
Hey everyone.

I have been playing this mod for some time and i really love it. I also have been reading this forum for a while but never posted anything.

So, the other day i was reading a thread (don't remember which) where some people said how they tried to play with only females or in a mettenhein style.

My idea is that maybe it would be fun to discuss a couple of self enforced conditions and difficulty settings for a bunch of us to try playing it and exchange strategies, stories and screenshots on this thread.

If anyone is interested post your idea here.

No cavalry, and you yourself may not be mounted. Technically you also need to be a 2 handed soldier, though that is not required. It was how I used to play PoP and was the inspiration behind the Mettenheim faction.

I tried the all female route once and it's very difficult. There just aren't that many female troops that you can readily recruit especially in the early game even with rescuing prisoners. I was basically running around with the peasant woman line up to heroine adventurers (which are insanely tough to train). The only other troops i managed to gain before moving on was one singalarian temptress and 6 female companions. I had planned on joining the Fierdsvain to gain access to their Valkyries, but then the last non-save game compatible update came and i didn't keep playing it.

What if, besides companions, you could only use bandits and minority factions troops?

Or you can only use infantry?

Or trying to have all faction alive by day 800 or something.

I really like threads like this.  I think it keeps the game interesting when I have a focus that's not my usual character build.  I'm going to start the Mattenhiem character this morning.  I'm actually pretty excited for it  :wink:

Cool, im up to start a mettenhein char too.

So what will the rules be? What units can we use? Can we use horse for traveling?

What dificulty setting will you try?

Mettenheim Rules;

Player Character
2 Handed Weapons, Polearms and 1 Handed Weapons permitted. Throwing or Crossbow can be secondary weapon choice. A 2 handed sword should be your weapon of choice.
No riding skill allowed
No horse allowed (you may however have horses in the inventory as pack animals, they increase party movement speed)
No Archery or Power Draw permitted.
You must have a mustache.

Party
Any companions (Frederick required)
Companions must have the same restrictions as your own character. Archery / Power Draw is allowed for them though.
Any troops

Factions
Empire or Fierdsvain preferred, but you can use any.
You should try to acquire as many Mettenheim troops as you can, both released prisoners and mercenaries.
You should try to become friendly with the Mettenheim Expeditionaries as soon as possible.

Additional Rules
You MUST dismount your entire force at the start of EVERY battle. You are allowed to use Knights and the like, but only if you dismount them!

Good luck!

Tips;
Athletics - This skill is vital for foot soldier builds. Trust me.
Path Finding - Another vital skill, you simply wont catch many people on the world map without it. Your movement will be your biggest enemy so make every maneuver count.
Weight - Be careful what you use, a shield on the back might be useful, but movement speed will be restricted. Is it a good trade off?
Horsemen - Try to focus on proper infantry troops rather than their mounted counter parts. Mounted troops tend to have lower skills than their infantry friends.
Tactical Ability - Using tactics on the battle field is vital, you will get stomped otherwise. Try fighting defensively.
Tags - Re-tag all your cavalry troops as either Infantry / Archers to make deployment easier. It might be useful to create a 3rd tag for "2 handers" which is berserkers, halbardiers, gladiators etc, they can then hide behind a shield wall.
STAND CLOSER - Do not be afraid to use this. Properly deployed you will love fighting cavalry armies. The Jatu will become a cash cow.

I would add that the rules that apply to you, apply to your companions as well.
And there should be a strict no archer policy.

Gonna start the char!

Edited it slightly. Thanks for the companion bit. Also added the spoilered tips section.

Archery is allowed for your troops, but not for you personally. Its only horses that are an absolute no no.

I must warn you however, after playing in this style I found it nearly impossible going back to cavalry armies! It's only after playing as an infantry commander that you realize just how incredibly versatile they are.

That's intresting.
Now, to be clear, I consider myself absolute excrimate in this.  I think myself to be a mediocre tactician. But, aparently, I always do it Mettenheim style. xD
I discovered a short while after first playing Pendor that cavalry was not the way to go for me.  I can BE cavalry just fine.  Command them? pfft! no!  I can never work them into my strategy.  They always end up being extra, or just forgotten.  I would forget to have them attack, and would win a battle, realizing that I left my cavalry sitting off somewhere.
But those additional things should make it intresting.  I've never actually fought/hired any Mettenheim troups, mainly because I've only ever seen ONE of their armies, and never any in taverns.  But if they're all like freddy, I love them. xD

Liking it so far.  Those stray cavalry that push through the front infantry lines get ripped to shreds by fred or myself.  So satisfying to cut the horse out from under an elite troop.  Then kill them while they're fallen. 

I dont think I've ever seen a Mattenheim merc for hire.  All I've seen is the wandering band of them.  Once I get a fief, somehow, I will be anxious for a band of mercs to look for employment  :grin:

Just got them as mercenaries, though ofc you only get regular troops (xbow and kind of Sarleon Man-at-Arms). But hey, they aren't expensive at all, just 32 each  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom