Roma Britannia (Brytenwalda Submod) BETA 1.2 patch 3.14.2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Sigma-Rho

Sergeant
4/4/2011
Well I guess I should have taken a little more time into selecting a suitable person to watch over the mod in my absence. So to clarify things I thought I'd make a post about it. There are three people who actively work on this mod. Dreslin, Forest and myself (Sigma). The next patch that is released will be balanced from 1.2 and will include some of the new models and textures. I'm not sure what the person I left in charge did but it was not the direction we intended for this mod to be going in. Everything he has done will be stricken thus why we are starting from 1.2 Beta. I will start to post screenshots when it gets closer to release and as always we look forward to seeing your comments. Thank you for your time.

3.14.2011 *OLD*
Beta 1.2 - http://www.gamefront.com/files/20127867/Roma_Senium_Beta_1_2_update_rar
-Will not be save game compatible  :sad:
-And there is one troop error that flashes on screen from time to time.

Recommended start: Jute / Centware
All the Roman Factions are in game, some times you may start with a province or two. All Roman Factions use the same troop tree for now until I can get the different factions working. I have to go out of town for a while but when I get back I'll finish this and any bugs you post for me to review. I added some new items, many don't have shaders which means they need to be done by hand. If there are any serious issues or you want to help me balance things you can try and fix it yourself and post a fix for the community while I"m gone. I put a handy tool inside the mod folder for you, it's very easy to use.

Bugs: *Some villages and castles don't have Roman troops garrisoned or for recruitment. This is because there is no lord assigned to it when it generates who has what since I gave each Legio the same amount of Lords. This will get fixed in the next release. Most of the villages have Roman Recruits so don't worry you'll be able to reinforce close to the front lines almost always.

Beta 1.3 - The next release will include a more accurate troop tree for the 11 tribes of Druids. In addition I will continue to balance the gear. Please let me know which Roman Units are OP or UP.

Beta 1.4 - Fix anything that is not working.

RB 1.0 - Final release

RB 1.1 - Will add all the new models and textures. You will start to see screenshots of the new items in a couple weeks.
  What is planned?
    Remodeled models and textures for the Roman Armies (lowpoly as it is now)
    Each Legetus, Centurion, and alike will have a custom set of armor per Legio (highpoly)
    Legion Standards, etc...
    Each Legion will have it's own shield courtesy of the Roma Surrectum Team.
    You will get a unique item at each rank you attain, armor, weapons, bracers, weapons, things like that.

The game will look much different than it does I promise.
shields.png

House Rules
I want to introduce you to something called "The House Rules". I based this loosely on Ian Altanos writings for Roma Surrectum.

1. You may recruit as many Auxilla troops as you want.

2. You may only build named Legionaries of the standard you carry. If you are flying the Standard of Legio II Augusta (AVG), then you cannot promote Auxillia Cohors I to Legionary VIII. You will have to march back to your Legio's home territory to recruit them.

3. You should never have more than one Evocatus Prefect, Evocatus Centurion, Signifer and Aquilifer in your Army. You may build one of each per city/town/village/castellum if you can afford it. You may only have 3 Vexilarius in your army at any given time.

4. It is quite acceptable to have a supply of 'reserve\replacement' cohorts recruited and available to replace losses in a Legion on campaign. In fact, it's a good idea to do so if the Legion is far from where it was recruited.

5. At a minimum half of your fielded force should consist of Cohorts, historically this consisted of 9 Cohorts and 1 1st Cohort. For Roma Britannia we will adjust this to Cohors I / Cohors II and Legionaires. An example is below.

100 troop capacity -  30 Aux Cohors I, 10 Aux Cohors II, 10 Legionaries
200 troop capacity - 60 Aux Cohors I, 20 Aux Cohors II, 20 Legionaries

etc... of course if you can afford to field half of your total troop complement with all Legionaries then do so, however this will be expensive.

-A Legionary was a Roman Citizen
-A Cohort or Cohors is a Legionary
-Auxillia Cohors was a non-Roman citizen recruited and trained in the Roman Army.
    -Auxillia Cohors I were are armed with a very large shield called a Scutum, a Gladius as well as throwing spears called Pilums.
    -Auxillia Cohors II were armed with a Scutum and Gladius as well accept they carried a very large spear called a Hasta for defense against cavalry, they carried no Pilums.

6. And lastly you are not allowed to cheat at any time during this game.

-Don't give yourself money, xp, renown, teleportation, etc...
-Don't crash the game on purpose if you are going to lose a battle.

The only authorized access to the cheat menu will be to change your Legion's Banner if you decide to serve another Legion or Rebel later on in the game. I will provide you with the historic Legion banners for this event but that won't take place till much later in the game.

7. I encourage you to create a new character and play the game with the perks that are allotted to you per your player rank (renown)

Sesquiplicarius - 100 renown Can recruit all forms of Auxillia and below.
Junior NCO on basic pay and a half.

Duplicarii - 200 renown Can recruit all forms of Auxillia and below.
NCO on double basic pay.

Triplicarius - 300 renown Can recruit all forms of Auxillia and a Vexilarius.
Senior NCO on triple basic pay.

Principales - 700 renown - Can recruit all forms of Auxillia and two Vexilarius.
A junior Officer.

Centurion - 1000 renown - Can recruit Roman Cavlary, Legionaries, Signifer and below.
Each Legion had 59 or 60 centurions, one to command each centuria of the 10 cohorts. They were the backbone of the professional army and were the career soldiers who ran the day to day life of the soldiers as well as issuing commands in the field. They were generally moved up from the ranks, but in some cases could be direct appointments from the Emperor or other higher ranking officials. The cohorts were ranked from the First to the Tenth and the Centuria within each cohort ranked from 1 to 6, with only 5 Centuria in the First Cohort (For a total of 59 Centuria and the Primus Pilus). The Centuria that each Centurion commanded was a direct reflection of his rank. (Command of the First Centuria of the First Cohort was the highest and the 6th Centuria of the 10th Cohort was the lowest). The 5 Centurions of the First Cohort were called the Primi Ordines, and included the Primus Pilus. Additional ranks are highlighted here:

Praefectus - 1200 renown - Can recruit Evocatus Centurion, Aquilifer and below.
The camp Prefect was a long serving veteran who had been promoted through the ranks of the centurions and was 3rd in overall command.

Tribunus - 1500 renown - Can recruit Evocatus Prefect and below.
Named for the broad striped toga worn by men of senatorial rank. This tribune was appointed by the Emperor or the Senate. He served as second in command of the legion, behind the Legate.

Legatus - 2000 renown
The overall Legionary commander. This post was generally appointed by the emperor, was a former Tribune and held command for 3 or 4 years, although could serve for a much longer period. In a province with only one legion, the Legatus was also the provincial governor and in provinces with multiple legions, each legion has a Legatus and the provincial governor has overall command of them all.

Auxillia in Britannia
Incase anyone was interested here is a list of the Auxillia that operated in Britannia. Now I can't add all of them but I promise I'll add one per Legio to start. Maybe later once all the models are done and in game I will revisit this to make each village have it's own Auxillia. Did you know that the milecastles that lined Hadrians wall had unique Auxillia stationed in each one? They had Auxillia from all the corners of the empire, they even had iraqie goat herders they enlisted to be Auxillia and stationed them there. All in all there was only one Britannian Auxillia, the Hamian Bowman.

ListofBritAuxillia.jpg

Goal: My goal for this mod is to make a realistic portrayal of the Roman Invasion of Britannia. If you feel that anything is amiss please speak up so that I can improve things.
romansterritory.jpg

Salve,
        Shortly I will be releasing the next version of the Beta. Hopefully this will quench the thirst of realism for those seeking it. The only thing I have left to do is replace the faction recruitment by town ownership. Once this is done I will release it some time this weekend. Thanks again for all of you who have been suggesting ideas or helping me fix things, I appreciate your time.

-Correct faction banners for all Roman Legios as well as the Leadership
mb_warband2011-03-1213-06-22-41.jpg
-Added a Roman font to the game
-New Village Upgrades (quick strings text is not complete it keeps giving me errors so I've left it out for now, only the menu names are working)
-All Roman Leadership, Wives and Daughters now have correct Roman names.
-Roman and Gallic weapons have been given a once over for balancing issues.
-All Leadership has the correct Roman equipment, they are no longer naked when they are inside
-Faction Territory and Relations has been established
mb_warband2011-03-1213-05-52-39.jpg

Factions-
  Roman Empire- (Originally when Emperor Claudius dispatched Aulus Plautius to Brittannia he had 4 Leigos with him, what I've done is given you the others that eventually rotated there to give you more of variety. When we are done, each Legio will look completely different, that is all I can say).
    Legio XXII Deiotariana
    Legio II Adiutrix
    Legio II AVG
    Legio VI Victrix
    Legio VIII AVG
    Legio IX Hispana
    Legio XIV Gemina
    Legio XXII Primigenia
    Legio XX Valeria

Druid Tribes (Lead by Prince Caractacus; final version will have all 11 tribes)
    Ynys Manau (Some haven't been renamed yet, I need to finish reading a couple books)
    Dumnonia
    Belgae
    Silures
    Demetae
    Brycheniniog
    Ceredigion
    Ordovices
    Deceangli
  Coritani

Neutral:
    Hibernia Tribes (Ireland)
    Brigantes (Roman creature)
    Selgovae
    Parisi
    Votadini
    Damnonii
    Venicones
    Iceni Tribes - Lead by Queen Boudicca (came down from the north and sacked several Roman towns)

Each Legion will follow the same troop tree, however they will all have different forms of Auxillia to include custom banners, custom armor for "leadership units".
Troop Tree:
TroopTree.png

Each Player will earn a new rank according to renown, these ranks will come with special benefits such as unique (non-purchased) roman armor, items, military awards, etc...
Player Ranks:
Roman_Rank_Structure.png
Factionbanners2.png
Download the Beta:http://www.gamefront.com/files/20074818/Roma+Senium+(Brytenwalda+Submod)+BETA.rar

forumetitle-1.jpg

Salve this is my first mod and I made this pretty much for myself and a couple friends who enjoy the Roman aspect of M&B.  What I've done (with permission of course) is I combined the Roman Invasion Mod with Brytenwalda as well as a few of my own textures and tweaks. What the first version of the beta does is it replaces the "Jutes" at Catewaraburgh with LEG IX Hispana (Legio IX Hispaniensis).

forumart.jpg

shield.png

town.png

What else are you planning on doing for this sub-mod?

I have already started on all the equipment for the different Legions giving the player a lot of variety. In addition to this I've created unique textures for the equipment so when you see a "rusty" sword in game it actually looks rusty, when you a "lordly" shield or armor, it is embroidered with an ornate texture or lining. If anyone would like to contribute in any way it would be welcomed. :grin:

I'd like to change the burning logs after you subdue an opponent to crucifixion since that was a unique calling cards the Romans.

War Dogs....

Special Thanks to anyone who contributed to "Brytenwalda", "Rome Invasion Mod" and of course the all inspiring "Roma Surrectum"; DVK901 has been very helpful.

Nice work Sigma-Rho.  :grin:

Legio IX Hispaniensis gets its cogname from her participation in the Cantabrian Wars (29-19 bC). She was between 8 legions attacked northern Hispania (Asturian and Cantabrian) at 25 B.C, with the victory, she was nicknamed like Hispaniensis.

I think that when she went to Britannia, Legio IX Hispana had a lot of asturian auxilia and Cantabrian symmachiarii. If I remember correctly, many of them ended up stationed at Hadrian's Wall  :mrgreen:

Looks really interesting! Count me in as a tester. Or any other various whatnot you'd like to see done. :smile:

I wonder how you're going to tie this into the Brytenwalda "universe" without breaking history.

Howitzer said:
I wonder how you're going to tie this into the Brytenwalda "universe" without breaking history.

Especially as "Saxons" did not begin to raid Roman Britain until the late 4th and did not arrive until the 5th to settle. Unless of course the mod developer wants to change the Roman troop tree to the type of Roman army existent right before Rome left in AD 400 which would mean the comitatenses/limitani period and not the early Imperial Legionaries shown here. Barbarian troop trees would have to be changed too.

I mean you've actually got some weaponry in Brytenwalda already used by late Roman comitatenses and armour too. Some of those shields are straight out of the Notitia Dignitatum. Why not set your mod later, say 4th/5th century, and be closer to Brytenwalda and not have to change much at all?

Some times ago I wanted to do something like that, I always saw my character as a Roman tring to bring back to live the Imperium  :twisted:

Thanks man, may god bless you, because now i can truly do this  :mrgreen:

What I'm going for is right at the fall of the Roman Empire when everyone turned on each other. After Rome was sacked it was one Roman Nobleman after another standing up claiming to be the Emperor. There was lots of infighting as well as skirmishes with Barbarian forces. I was originally trying to display how LEC I Germanica was confronted by Quintus Petillius Cerialis who had eight to their four Legions. We can pretend that they fled to the UK unless someone else has a better back story? I would have liked to have kept it historic but it would have involved too much editing on the troops and equipment of Brytenwalda.

troops.jpg

I want the Romans to be portrayed as a superior fighting force however that will come at a cost of higher troop training and upgrades. It will be very expensive to field large armies especially Legions, Praetorian Cavalry and a Prefect.

Thanks everyone =) your input is appreciated and I have some questions about what you think would work best.

Adding more Legions: Is it possible to change a towns recruitment troop type depending on who controls the City or Castle it's attached too?

(if not) What I may do is replace 3 other factions with Roman Rebels that you can fight. I'll put a easy one next to the starting location and the other two will be else where on the map giving you a mid to late game beast who shows up on your doorstep.

Should I replace the tournament games with Gladiator equipment or would you prefer the normal getup with a Gladius? If I can get a modeler I'll have them make all the equipment. I was also thinking of adding in "War Dogs" such as Rottweilers or recruitable Gladiators. (If there are any mods that have Gladiator gear let me know the name of it and I'll ask if I can use the items).

Again thanks for the input, I'll have this posted for you to try out a little later on in the week.  :smile:

500legio.jpg

Sigma-Rho said:
What I'm going for is right at the fall of the Roman Empire when everyone turned on each other. After Rome was sacked it was one Roman Nobleman after another standing up claiming to be the Emperor. I would have liked to have kept it historic but it would have involved too much editing on the troops and equipment of Brytenwalda.
troops.jpg

Really?

4thc-1.gif

images

HATI-08137.jpg

images

I mean do what you want to do and I am sure it will be fun. But if you're idea is to set it in the period after Rome was sacked and in decline then Brytenwalda already has what you need: Spathas, shield wall, proper helmets (Pannonian hats) and shields etc. I just don't see that you'd have to edit all that much but I could be wrong. I'll let you get on with it and like I said it doesn't mean it won't be fun or interesting. Just take this as well intentioned advice on my part.

Looks like it is going to be 'fun' Sigma, I'm sure Idi will approve , he seems to be a good bloke for things like that. Recently I've been doing a bit of research on my family who originated from Cumbria around 1330's . I'd love to do or see a mod portrayed in this time line as my ancestor was a standard bearer to Edward III at the battles of Cressy and Poitiers and also under Henry duke of Lancaster =)  And like everyone else I love pretending to be him or some other warrior /knight from those times and mods like Idi's and yours make that possible. Good luck with the Mod , will be watching closely

-Gothy

To bad you don't want to make the legions historical, since Rome held the province until 410.
The equipment you need for that time period is already there, and about the factions, well gets easy cuz Rome have most of the Island to the Adrians Wall, and you can make the Picts and the Irish one unique faction.
But is Ok, still sounds fun. Im going to try it.

ave sigma

i really like your mod,
and it would be an honour if you count me in as an tester,

at the moment i find in beta testing some bugs,

-got an CTD when i was fighting pirats on sea
- the faction lord is naked :grin: when he sit in his town

also some suggestions

-when i caputred a town from other nations i just could recruit their units, could you change it to romans?
-any kinds of diffenrent armors like golden breastplate or wodden harnisch

thats all for now, i hope for an extended beta soon :wink:

luentech said:
ave sigma

i really like your mod,
and it would be an honour if you count me in as an tester,

at the moment i find in beta testing some bugs,

-got an CTD when i was fighting pirats on sea
- the faction lord is naked :grin: when he sit in his town

also some suggestions

-when i caputred a town from other nations i just could recruit their units, could you change it to romans?
-any kinds of diffenrent armors like golden breastplate or wodden harnisch

thats all for now, i hope for an extended beta soon :wink:

I'm not sure about the pirates at sea since that release was only textures and importing gear...?

When you play Warband and you capture any enemy village it remains to the owning faction, if I could change it that would be great but you can't as far as I know. You must recruit Romans in Roman territory.

The faction lord is naked b/c I replaced his equipment and when he goes into his castle he removes his armor and wears clothes. Since I removed the clothes he's naked, but when he leaves he puts on his armor. His clothes will be replaced by a Togo once I get it in game.

The armor, weapons and scenes will probably be my last update (some time in June) due to the sheer number of items my modeler needs to create and texture and import, but don't fear I have not over looked this. There will be lots of variety, each Legion will look very different, have their own standard, armor, etc...

The next release will have all the Legions, Generals, and Centurians with custom banners and the first phase of the faction map will be complete.

Thanks again for getting back to me on this stuff and I'm glad you enjoy the mod so far.

Is it possible to put all the Roman stuff in the Roman City? Kinda awkward wandering around Scotland and Ireland to find Roman equipment  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom