question to americans

Users who are viewing this thread

Temujin

Banned
sometimes your artists sing with artists from europe or other countries and they make a new video for it, my question is, do you guys see those remixes or not?

here's an example of a remix where akon works with Ali b and Yes r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAKuhWbXa10 please watch it entirely, so you can be sure besides it show some stuff from my country the netherlands and my ethnic group in the netherlands (Maluku's) I love how in this video they show Satu Darah near the end

and I know NAS worked with brainpower from the netherlands and he sometimes works with cutkiller from france

and there is of course dj tommek a german mc who worked with the RZA and with GZA

here's a clip where GZA works with a few germans DJ Tomekk vs. Grandmaster Flash f/ Curse, GZA, Prodigal Sunn, Steiber Twins - Ich Lebe für Hip Hop

so my question did they ever show these international colaborations in the USA on MTV or anything?

Never heard of them. Mostly, when it comes to rap, we only hear "fitty cent", and other such america-based rappers. Half of the rap audience in The States probably doesn't even know that there's a country called The Netherlands.

I would bet a dollar that my current president will call the Netherlands the Nether World just like he called the midwest the hinterlands. Rap is not music, play a saxophone or piano or learn how to sing for crying out loud. We don't think Australia is Iran, we think it is Austria because Arnold Shwarzenegger talks funny like those Australian/Austrian guys and South America is Alabama or Missouri. Lucky for you we don't even know that a country called "Turkey" exists........yet. You are lucky though because we think that Kurds are Saddam's own people so we might kill several birds with one stone since I read that Kurds are not loved in Turkey either. You are almost far away enough from Israel to survive our wrath. It takes several years to die from the radioactive dust of a nuclear blast rather then being right in the middle of one. You might be a redneck if you have a small television that works, sitting on top of a big television that doesn't work and you are watching Jerry Springer because you feel proud that your son is on the TV.

it would be nice to have a thread asking something to americans stays without USA bashing (or rap bashing for that matter) annyway, I'll go ask this on the TWC forums since there are a lot more americans there

I'm not very familiar with rap in general, but I can say that I've personally never seen any of those sorts of collaborations...

In fact, that doesn't just apply to rap music, that applies to virtually ALL types...  I'm sure lots of our artists from all genres get together with foreign artists, but it's not really mentioned here... At least not in any of the "mainstream" channels...

My guess is that the people in charge have a specific reason for setting those collaborations up:  they want to stick an American artist with someone who is familiar in some other country, to make that American artist more popular in that country...  On our side of the equation, there's no point in showing us these things...  We (to be brutally honest) don't really care about artists from elsewhere (in general), and our artists are already famous enough here that this sort of promotion isn't necessary...

It has a lot to do with that good old infamous American arrogance...lol

too bad because IMO these international remixes and colaborations are verry good, often better then the originals better beat, lyrics etc...

one would think that since these artists want to work with these international artists, they'd also promote this work of wich they ought to be proud at home in the US of A

I remember when they tried to push Julio Eglesias in the U.S. by having him sing a duet with Willie Nelson, that was funny because even though I like Willie he isn't the best singer and he would probably admit it if you asked him. That is the only example I can think of and it only happened because Willie Nelson is a nice guy and doesn't feel embarrassed about anything. As far as the rap singers go it is probably the music companies that decide what we will hear or not hear.

Yeah, well the U.S. government knows about Turkey. I agree with what you guys are saying but it is just in my human nature to try and defend the country that I live in at least a little bit even if I'm not very good at it. My wisecrack about Saddam and the Kurds was about the fact that everytime the news people bring up the trial of Saddam they say that he used horrible chemical weapons against his own people and the point I was trying to make was that Saddam didn't think anyone was his own people except for the people in his home town and his tribe. I know where Iran is and it is very far away from Australia because Australia is very far away from everybody except New Zealand or Indonesia. Kuwait is just rich oil people and Turkey gets treated like dirt.

Temujin said:
too bad because IMO these international remixes and colaborations are verry good, often better then the originals better beat, lyrics etc...

Yeah, I'd imagine they're nice pieces...  At the very least, I'd think they'd have a somewhat different "flavor" than the stuff we usually hear over here (bringing the influence/style of another culture into the existing song)...

one would think that since these artists want to work with these international artists, they'd also promote this work of wich they ought to be proud at home in the US of A

But the way I see it is that the American artists aren't doing it because they necessarily want to...  They do it as a way to increase sales in other countries...  Heck, in many cases, I'd guess it wasn't even their choice...  The record label execs put them up to it: "We need album sales to go up in [insert random country], so we've set up for you to go work with [insert random popular artist from that country] so the locals will start buying your CD"

I believe that these other artists are actually being used...lol

Jaghatai Khan said:
They think Istanbul and Turkey are different countries too.Idıots.And think AUSTRALIA IS IRAN!
I doubt they even know what Istanbul is  :roll:
heck, I still have trouble remembering whether turkey is a country or not....or just a turkey. Wait, is there a state in US called Turkey?

btw- why is it called turkey? is it just the english translation?

Actually it is an old word for Turkish lands near Byzantium Empire,evolved in time. Long story short:

Some birds from American continent were imported to Istanbul and distributed to Anatolia in 16 17 th Centuries.

When the British Ambassador visited Ottomans,he bought a few "birds of Turkey" and brought it to Britain.

The actual word was "lé coq dé indie" or whatever it is in French for "Cock of India" (yes the winged cock,not the red-headed one)

That is it. The birds should be named something else.

Back
Top Bottom